Upgraded my Pickup Friday

HeavyGunner

My brother called me late last week to tell me that my Dad was planning on selling his trusty old Dodge that he has had since its new. I couldnt stand the thought of the ole girl getting rehomed after this many years in the family and thought she might have a hard time adjusting to a new family at this stage in her life. So I talked to my understanding wife about the need to adopt this poor truck and how I would be willng to sell my '79 short box 4x4 Dodge truck to afford the adoption of the ole trusty back bone of Dad's logging fleet. I put the 79 for sale and sold it a few days later (to my wifes disbelief) and my Dad and brothers brought it over to me Friday. I will miss my little short box Dodge but I wont miss the 9-12 mpg that it got. It really cuts into my bottom line running my trapline. The 93 that I bought from my Dad has a Cummins and a 5 speed, 3/4t, 4x4 purpose built work truck. It spent its whole life hauling people and equipment to logging sites all over Montana while getting 20+mpg. Dad put 176 miles on it bringing it to me and it showed just a touch over 1/4 tank used, I have not fueled it up yet but it now has about 300 miles on the tripometer and just a little over over a half tank of fuel used. Dad thinks the tank is 26-30gal range but I will let you know how things shake out when I fuel it up and figure out exactly what mpg I am getting.post-8681-0-97126900-1333918954_thumb.jp

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Those early Dodge Cummins were pretty miserly on fuel. I don't doubt you'll get 20+ on the highway. Our shop has '95 F250/PSD and it gets an easy 20+ mph on the highway with 3.73 gears. It has 250K miles on it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Those early Dodge Cummins were pretty miserly on fuel. I don't doubt you'll get 20+ on the highway. Our shop has '95 F250/PSD and it gets an easy 20+ mph on the highway with 3.73 gears. It has 250K miles on it.

Going to respectfully disagree with you on the 12valve cummins getting poor fuel mileage front. They were/are known to get excellent mileage, I had 94 cummins years ago and it always got 18+ depending on how you drove it and it had an auto tranny and 3.55's the same gears as the one I just bought. As for a powerstroke getting 20mpg, that hasnt been my experience but I only had one and it did around 15mpg. Not trying to start a huge stink or war these are just my opinions and experiences. Have a good one.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

I have a 2004 Dodge one ton crew cab with a flatbed. The last time I took it to Chicago (no trailer) I averaged 19 mpg with my lead foot flat to the floor. I think all those Dodge trucks with Cummins get good mileage for the application they are in. Mine is in the shop though right now getting new injectors - it just turned over 100,000 miles.

Going to respectfully disagree with you on the 12valve cummins getting poor fuel mileage front. They were/are known to get excellent mileage, I had 94 cummins years ago and it always got 18+ depending on how you drove it and it had an auto tranny and 3.55's the same gears as the one I just bought. As for a powerstroke getting 20mpg, that hasnt been my experience but I only had one and it did around 15mpg. Not trying to start a huge stink or war these are just my opinions and experiences. Have a good one.

Reread my post. I said they are miserly (like "don't use much"), not miserable.

My 2000 CC DRW PSD only got 15+ on the highway, but it had 4.10 gears. If you can keep them UNDER 2000 rpm they are great on fuel. I ran it up to Michigan one weekend. On the way up I ran 75-80 mph and it got 12 mpg. On the way home I kept it at 65 mph and it got 15-16 mpg. Very noticable difference. "Most" dodges only had 3.54 gears out back, so they really idled on the highway. Fords don't get geared that way.

Back in 2001 I went to Florida. There were 4 of us(2 Ford, 2 dodges). Buddys Dodge had 3.54 gears and it might have done a bit better on fuel(be both had big trailers), but mine would pull Fancy Gap in 6th gear(OD) and hold 55 mph without issue. Buddy was lagging behind badly and I had to wait for him at the top. Both trucks were basically stock(no chips/exhaust). I know he did a LOT of downshifting since it was geared so long. Not what I would call a proper set up. Maybe for daily driving, but not pulling.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Easy there Freightrain, I do apologize for assuming miserly was similar to miserable. Kinda thought the root word was the same my bad.

Sounds good Freightrain, on another note I fueled up this morning had 392.3 miles on the odometer and put in 18.2 gallons which gave me a whopping 21.55mpg!!! I am very pleased with this considering the first 176 miles were highway when my Dad brought it to me and the rest was gravel roads and little two tracks along the river that I used while pulling my traps for the year.

Sounds like you made the right choice to swap!

It will definitely put more money in my pocket next year on the trapline.

Great save! Those are some tough trucks. Not like the new ones we have today.

AGREED!

I had a 91.5 W250 like that and it was great. I also had a 2003 Laramie with the Cummins and it was the worst POS I ever owned. For what that POS cost me in the 3 years I owned it, I could have made payments on a new Porsche 911 Turbo.

2 transfer cases, a tranny (Mopar reman), steering box, front wheel bearings, 2 front drive shafts, rad, death wobble, heater controls, 3 torque converters in a month (these were warrantee), wiring, brake lines, fuel lines to back if truck when transfer case #2 came apart, throttle position sensor, fuel pump, and I know I am forgetting a bunch of stuff. The truck also sat for 13 month of my 3 year ownership...