Never seen this set up on a U model

That would be handy for smaller jobs and backyard deliveries. I would say it is a DM as the U model didn't have the "plus 3" cab. Gregg
Are you sure about that? The U was made into the 80's and the short cab stopped in 72. I might go look at that truck this week just to see what it is.

That would be handy for smaller jobs and backyard deliveries. I would say it is a DM as the U model didn't have the "plus 3" cab.

Gregg

you know thats interesting,,,i had a 87 U model,,,and it had a straight back,,,wow,,,learn something new everyday....i thought the plus 3,was an option.bob

Hey Vinny, I don't mean to get you all excited right before bedtime, but this topic reminded me of my buddy's DM converted into a tractor. Here are some pics alongside my F model from Macungie 2010.

post-2694-0-60942700-1332642584_thumb.jp post-2694-0-17728800-1332642620_thumb.jp post-2694-0-61722300-1332642660_thumb.jp

i took a picture of that truck last year at macungie. did he cut the frame? cause dm's didnt have single axles.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Hey Vinny, I don't mean to get you all excited right before bedtime, but this topic reminded me of my buddy's DM converted into a tractor. Here are some pics alongside my F model from Macungie 2010.

post-2694-0-60942700-1332642584_thumb.jp post-2694-0-17728800-1332642620_thumb.jp post-2694-0-61722300-1332642660_thumb.jp

All three photos with the black DM look like I've driven them. They lean to the left like the springs never rebounded.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Are you sure about that? The U was made into the 80's and the short cab stopped in 72. I might go look at that truck this week just to see what it is.

Someone here correct me if I am misinformed, but in keeping with the original purpose of the U model (short BBC), the shorter cab was retained throughout the entire model run.

Gregg

i took a picture of that truck last year at macungie. did he cut the frame? cause dm's didnt have single axles.

Vinny, this truck was originally a tandem roll-off truck. It was already cut when my buddy got it. It even has one of the original "top loader" drive axles. The job was done well though; it has been a tractor for years and drives like a dream.

Gregg

Someone here correct me if I am misinformed, but in keeping with the original purpose of the U model (short BBC), the shorter cab was retained throughout the entire model run.

Gregg

I did not know you could get the short cab with the soft dash. I just looked a 1989 spec sheets for a U600ST and DM600SX. Both show the CA491 cab. The U is 94" front of hood to back of cab. The DM is 103". The center of front axle to back of cab is 66" for the U and 65" for the DM. Now I'm really confused.

I did not know you could get the short cab with the soft dash. I just looked a 1989 spec sheets for a U600ST and DM600SX. Both show the CA491 cab. The U is 94" front of hood to back of cab. The DM is 103". The center of front axle to back of cab is 66" for the U and 65" for the DM. Now I'm really confused.

I've never driven a "U" but have a couple of "DM" series trucks. They are "tight" for me. I did not know the dimensions for either axle to back of cab but both are short. The "DM" series is tough to work on as I can vouch for. Something is always in the way.

I have put a "U" model hood on a "DM" truck and did not have problems and everything fit fine.

My nephew is gonna hook me up with a test ride in a "U" sometime in the future however.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I've never driven a "U" but have a couple of "DM" series trucks. They are "tight" for me. I did not know the dimensions for either axle to back of cab but both are short. The "DM" series is tough to work on as I can vouch for. Something is always in the way.

I have put a "U" model hood on a "DM" truck and did not have problems and everything fit fine.

My nephew is gonna hook me up with a test ride in a "U" sometime in the future however.

Rob

Hopefully, I'll get to drive it too. Maybe someday my uncle will tighten me up with a test drive of a 12V71-powered R Model as well.

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

I actually think anybody with an interest in old trucks will be able to drive anything of mine given the proper space or room.

Uncle Rob