Cummins had a 265 hp V8 in that era,wasn't real reliable from what I've been told,wonder if thats what it had.

I have heard about those older cummins like that and no one can, or wants to remember them at least around here.

Both the 504 and 555 I believe were rated at 240HP @ 3300RPM naturally asperated. Would the 265HP engine that you guys are refering to be a Turbo version of the triple nickel?? I have heard that they were not that reliable in trucks but were in the marine version. Am plannning on keeping my Brockway a 555, but just going to shows it should(???) hold up OK.

Brocky

Brocky

The last triple nickel I saw was in a lime truck and it had a turbo - sounded good in there too. The owner had replaced the crank in it - was that a weak point?

I also seem to remember seeing a 555 recently in some construction equipment driving across the block at a Ritchie Bros sale, but I can't remember what it was in. Seems like the auctioneers make a big deal out of it when they see those motors, I think they just like to sound cool saying "tripppppppple Nickkkkkkkel" (I can't do it like they can, let alone spell it the way it sounds!)

• 6 years later...
On 3/21/2012 at 12:19 PM, b61fred said:

The engine is referred to as a 350 cummins v8, I have seen a few pictures of these but, most are not turbocharged, they were made to pull doubles on the new york thru-way, backed with a quadraplex. all 10 were made for the same company Mcbride in new york state.

Morgan

McBride and DairyLea were the largest bulk milk haulers using double on the NYS Thruway hauling milk to NYC

Brocky