B model injector pump removal

Hello all,

I posted this in the engine forum but haven't gotten any responses. Thought I might get some ideas here.

I have a '64 B53 with 673 engine. When running, it leaks oil from around where the injector pump mounts. So I decided I'd take it off, clean it up, and check the gasket.

So, I got all the lines/hoses etc. disconnected, and took out the 3 bolts that hold the pump to an intermediate base/adapter piece, between the pump and the engine's front housing. Pump pulls out about half an inch, but no more. Next, I took out the three bolts that hold on the intermediate piece, and that pulls out about a quarter inch, but no more.

How does this pump come out?!

Its an American Bosch pump, the kind with the 6 injector lines arranged in a circle, like a distributor cap.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Kevin

Hello all,

I posted this in the engine forum but haven't gotten any responses. Thought I might get some ideas here.

I have a '64 B53 with 673 engine. When running, it leaks oil from around where the injector pump mounts. So I decided I'd take it off, clean it up, and check the gasket.

So, I got all the lines/hoses etc. disconnected, and took out the 3 bolts that hold the pump to an intermediate base/adapter piece, between the pump and the engine's front housing. Pump pulls out about half an inch, but no more. Next, I took out the three bolts that hold on the intermediate piece, and that pulls out about a quarter inch, but no more.

How does this pump come out?!

Its an American Bosch pump, the kind with the 6 injector lines arranged in a circle, like a distributor cap.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Kevin

I'm not familiar with the rotary pump you have. The inline pumps are keyed to a gear and pull straight back and out after the three bolts are removed from the adapater housing to the engine front cover. There is also a brace on the bottom supporting the pump at the rear. Have you removed that also?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I got the pump off. Its the PSM style. I cleaned it up nice and am ready to re-install with some Permatex between mating surfaces to prevent leaks in the future. I read and understand the pump timing instructions in the service manual. One question...where are the timing marks to determine crank position? Also, how do I know when #1 piston is on compression? Watch the valves as I rotate the crank?

Thanks again,

Kevin

You should have checked that before you pulled it. Now you want to pull the rear valve cover and rotate engine untill the exhuat valve closes and the intake just starts to open. This is what you hear them talking about valve over lap. This means # 1 cyl is up and read to fire, so back up maybe 14 turn and start turn in clock wise rotation looking at the front untill the pointer sets at about 26 or 28 degress or what ever you shop manaul is telling you.The timing marks will be on the bottom of the fylwheel veiwed thru a opening in the bottom of the fylwheel housing.Now if you do have a shop manual then it should show you were the timing mark is on the fuel pump and now install and then back up after bolts in front gear is tighte and go in engine ritation slow till the marks line up and they show be were you want them. If you shop manual does not show that throw it away and then i will try some more instructions. glenn

glenn akers

Live and learn I guess. Yes, I should have made a couple marks before I pulled the pump. But, who's to say it was timed correctly before? Although it ran ok. The manual I have shows how to align the pump timing marks so I'm good there. I'll have to get under it and pull the flywheel inspection cover and look for the timing marks. So #1 cylinder is the rearmost?

Thanks guys!

Kevin

Live and learn I guess. Yes, I should have made a couple marks before I pulled the pump. But, who's to say it was timed correctly before? Although it ran ok. The manual I have shows how to align the pump timing marks so I'm good there. I'll have to get under it and pull the flywheel inspection cover and look for the timing marks. So #1 cylinder is the rearmost?

Thanks guys!

Kevin

No i did not say the rear was # 1. Reread my post. Also the cover on the bottom does not show the timing marks. The timing marks do not have a cover.There is small opening with a small pin sticking out or a tab if its not knocked off.

glenn akers