want to change out 7sp need help with replacement choice

I have a new to me mack dump truck and I really don't like the 7 speed and I want to make a change and I have read the entire engine and transmission forum twice and have a better understanding but I am still having trouble with what is the right choice for me. I need to maintain the off road ability and I live in a hilly area and tow a 20 ton tag with a 20 ton track hoe. If I can go 65 on the highway and am not redlining the engine that is good enough for me. Here is what i have:

1999 RD 690s with a 400hp VMAC lll E7 ETECH. (uprated from 300hp at the Mack dealer)

7speed T2070B with a 44000 rears with a final drive ratio of 5.32

Tires are 11R22.5

VIN is 1M2P264C5XM029458

Right now I can go 75 on the hiway. I don't need to go that fast. We were hauling dirt the other day and my Ford LTL 9000 with a 400 big cam and a 13 speed (I think) would eat the mack up. there was a hill on the run and Mack no matter what you did would crest that hill at no more than 35 mph. the Ford would crest that hill at 55 all day long. the Mack's bed was larger and it was hauling about a 2 tons more dirt than the ford, but it would not have made any difference. First thru 3 is strong but once you hit 4th and 5th it dies and slowly builds rpms up to its power band. Very annoying with a line of traffic behind you.

What transmission do you all recommend based on the info I have give you? What we will give similar performance as the Ford and what trans will swap out with the least hassle. Can I have the 7 speed modified to a 9?

Thanks in advance for your help.

A 13/18 spd will help U get road speed quicker, but I wouldn't trade Ur hole gear for it

That 7spd has a great low and reverse

I ran in a fleet of dm688 most had 7spd two had 13spd the 13 was great on the road but broke axles and an occasional bull gear in the soft stuff

The 7spds where bullit proof

Are you sure its set at 400 HP? The only reason I ask is we used to have a LTL with a 400 Cummins & 13 Speed, also had a 78 R Model with a 300 & 6Speed and 20MPH Difference on a pull seems about right to me (Both Tandem Dumps Hauling 65K) You also have to remember that Cummins is 855 Cubic inches and the Mack is 728 (Pretty sure), and if the Cummins is turned up any, the Mack will never run with it. I dont think a transmission swap would have a great enough effect on how it pulls to be worth the time & money. I would have the motor checked to verify current rating.

Are you sure its set at 400 HP? The only reason I ask is we used to have a LTL with a 400 Cummins & 13 Speed, also had a 78 R Model with a 300 & 6Speed and 20MPH Difference on a pull seems about right to me (Both Tandem Dumps Hauling 65K) You also have to remember that Cummins is 855 Cubic inches and the Mack is 728 (Pretty sure), and if the Cummins is turned up any, the Mack will never run with it. I dont think a transmission swap would have a great enough effect on how it pulls to be worth the time & money. I would have the motor checked to verify current rating.

thanks for all your responses. The Mack had the uprate done at the local mack dealer. It was not dynoed after the update but I could feel a difference. the dealer checked fuel and boost pressure and both were reportedly where they should be. the 400 big cam in the Ford has been turned up some but I don't know how much. You seem to think it is a horsepower thing where as I feel like if I could keep the Mack in its sweet spot it would pull much better. On the highway the ford can't stay with the Mack. It is the hills and getting up to speed where the ford is so much better. First thru third is strong but 4th and 5th are weak.

Thanks again for all of you alls input

The Mack E7 is no Cummins big cam or 3406, never will be no matter what you do, "no replacement for displacement". If you really feel the transmission isn't making it, most dump trucks out there are specked with an eaton fuller 8LL. they come in direct or od models. Most use direct. Never can go wrong with an 18 speed fuller, it's just an 8LL with a few more choices, there is always a right gear,except the one that gives you more torque then the engine produces, thats were he is getting you, when its needing to pull hard.

I would disagree that an 18 and an LL8 are the same

I think the LL8 is the best non Mack trans for a dump truck

18spd does not have the hole gear like the LL8

I do think the LL8 is the best choice if he can't live with the 7spd

I wouldn't change to a weaker tranny for a few minutes per load

I would disagree that an 18 and an LL8 are the same

I think the LL8 is the best non Mack trans for a dump truck

18spd does not have the hole gear like the LL8

I do think the LL8 is the best choice if he can't live with the 7spd

I wouldn't change to a weaker tranny for a few minutes per load

Your right the 18 dont have the low reverse.

glenn akers