Maiden voyage for the 454

bubbamobilin

Took the 454 out for some exercise this week. We went down to Charleston SC and did some local hauling around town. She did real good but I think she gonna need an overhaul. Oil psi is 20 at idle and 50 at road speed, not bad I guess but lower than what I'm used to seeing when I run my E9.

Also, the blow by is more than what it needs to be. I've seen worse but it is still more than normal. It was a gallon low on oil before I left so I filled it up. Total trip was about 650 miles and the oil is still on the full mark so I guess that's a good sign.

The trip wound up with me playing the wrecker driver. About two weeks ago we put 4 new tires across the back of unit #105 and aparantly the tire shop did not get the lugs tight enough. As you can see in the picture this truck is not a single axle. All the lug nuts came off loosing both wheels in the middle of a dirt road near Ridgeville, SC. Hub is ruined as well as the rims, brake drum, brake shoes. I guess we were lucky that this happened on a unpopulated dirt road instead of a busy Interstate.

post-199-0-46332500-1330655647_thumb.jpg

post-199-0-50688200-1330655664_thumb.jpg

Your right, the first year we had that lowboy the only thing it hauled was our broke equipment.

And you probably saved about 1/2 the cost of the trailer in towing bills.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I poked a hole in a brand new 11:00 tire today, ran over a bolt. That just really pisses me off to have that happen. dernit,,,randyp

To large of hole to either install a "boot", or a what I call a stud patch?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob

Rob

They managed to patch it, just bothers me cause its no longer a "virgin". Now it will always be on my mind,,,,randyp

They managed to patch it, just bothers me cause its no longer a "virgin". Now it will always be on my mind,,,,randyp

If they used one of the new style stud patches where the rubber stud of the patch protrudes up through the punctured tread, and the main patch still glues to the inside of the tire carcass, don't waste your valuable time worrying about it. They are quite permenant and really do not give problems. If it was a "Tech", or "Bowes", you are without a doubt safe.

Rob

Sorry about raining on the parade with the new truck. Sure is a nice looking unit.

Rob

Just the other day, I was going across Rt 18 to Medina and came across a wrecker dragging a clapped out Fliner conventional. He was literally dragging it cause the FR wheel had fallen off somehow and it was running on the drum!!! I came up on him(he was coming at me), as he was just pulling back out onto the road to make a left and get into the big tire shop that just happen to be there. Don't think it was planned that way? Fliner was stripped to the gils and only couple tires left on it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Everyone needs a lowboy around for just that use! Sharp looking truck!

Man you can keep that mechanical detatch. Pulled one for about 2 weeks. It will be a cold day in hell before I ever pull another one. But they are great for crane load stuff

Man you can keep that mechanical detatch. Pulled one for about 2 weeks. It will be a cold day in hell before I ever pull another one. But they are great for crane load stuff

I had a guy in here last night to pick up a digger derrick truck with a mechanical detach. He was even eyeing and liking my old Rogers hydraulic ground bearing detach trailer - sad.

I also last week watched a team of guys take apart and drag around a beam trailer to haul a big wheel loader - not my cup of tea either!

I had a guy in here last night to pick up a digger derrick truck with a mechanical detach. He was even eyeing and liking my old Rogers hydraulic ground bearing detach trailer - sad.

I also last week watched a team of guys take apart and drag around a beam trailer to haul a big wheel loader - not my cup of tea either!

I have been seriously contemplating a beam. But you need a damn tree to load alot of stuff. My main reason is to get atleast 5k lighter. Get my height down. and stablize most loads. Like rubber tired stuff. Unless you block it it is an act of congress to get them to quit bouncing. Broken a few chains and binders from that. Eyeing a ground bearing. Idk whats worse the mechanical or the ground bearing trailer.

I don't know what they charge for hauling with a beam vs. a detach, but I would hope you could get into some better margin loads with one. I see a lot of rigging companies using them in situations where you can't drive the item over the beam, you have to use a dozer to push them into place or pull them with a winch and cable. They seem to take a beating doing that, but I think they charge primo rates for it as well. The downside usually is the driver has to hire some day labor to help watch and all.

We get along great with a ground bearing trailer - now I don't haul for hire and I drive it myself so I am picky about where I put the foot down. Once in a while we high center a little and you can't change pin settings on it to gain any clearance, but they serve the purpose. I have had to do some down-home rigging to get it off high center in truck stop parking lots, farmer's fields, and high crowned gravel roads - but you will have that with any of them over time.

I've never seen a mechanical beam trailer but Daily has several that are air powered. Kinda difficult to use unless a big open area without a large forklift available. Most of the stuff I've seen loaded on beam type trailers is blocked up and not mobile so it takes some interaction to drag, or push the trailer minus the neck under the tractor. They set the beams on custom built skid shoes, then push the trailer under the tractor. It could also be dragged under a trailer if the truck had a winch but seems like it would require expert alignment before pulling. If something did get crooked in the pull, it would take some additional side pulls to straighten it out for centering the load.

For as open as they are they are still very heavy and you can see that by the construction.

Rob

Like I said you usually need damn near a tree. I have seen Keen put the wood down and drive up to get the clearence. Usually just alot of wood. I've never pulled one but I have beamed real wide stuff off my trailer. It takes a bit to get used to but it rides so much better. On load and put wood under the tracks and drive it off. I've seen them done alot of ways. I just choose not to flat spot my tires