New Alternator

Got rid of my cheesy automotive (Delco 10SI) alternator...never liked it cause it wasnt very sturdy (cheesy adaptation of the stock mount) could not get the belt tight...replaced it with a Meritor ALT-1004 150amp (Delco 22SI clone) for only $120

Simple hookup, my original generator pulley slipped right on, the mount is solid (stock generator mount), simple three wire hookup (battery, dash light, ground)...I love it...will put a truck belt on this week, may sturdy up the mount with a sleeve to catch the rear gen mount, but dont really think it needs it.

post-6773-0-04940200-1329692341_thumb.jp

Got rid of my cheesy automotive (Delco 10SI) alternator...never liked it cause it wasnt very sturdy (cheesy adaptation of the stock mount) could not get the belt tight...replaced it with a Meritor ALT-1004 150amp (Delco 22SI clone) for only $120

Simple hookup, my original generator pulley slipped right on, the mount is solid (stock generator mount), simple three wire hookup (battery, dash light, ground)...I love it...will put a truck belt on this week, may sturdy up the mount with a sleeve to catch the rear gen mount, but dont really think it needs it.

post-6773-0-04940200-1329692341_thumb.jp

I would get a second mount on it. The high frequency vibration will eventually fracture the single mounting.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 4 weeks later...

Where did you get the alternator? I have been searching around locally for one. Just got the fender off and the generator pulled last night and the alternator I was going to use and swap pulleys, the shaft is to small so it will be going back so I am back in the market. The double pulley on the alternator I bought has a diffrent width and I am sure it would work but why not get something like your set up and use the genorator pulley then I wont worry about tearing up a belt or throwing one.

post-10018-0-94064500-1331778200_thumb.j

post-10018-0-27312900-1331778725_thumb.j

post-10018-0-68930700-1331778766_thumb.j

post-10018-0-87977400-1331778805_thumb.j

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

I am going to try and locate one tomorrow. How is yours wired up?

I am familiar with changing and installing the small automotive ones out and rewiring farm tractor conversions but this set up looks a little different then the plug and play GM 65 amperes and I may not get any instructions with my alternator.

Robert

Hi, hows the alternator attached at bottom?

Grant

Same as the generator mount...just not supported at the back...it is sturdy but there are concerns vibration may take its toll so I will build a spacer and get a long bolt that runs from the rear alt ear to the generator mount rear tab.

I am going to try and locate one tomorrow. How is yours wired up?

I am familiar with changing and installing the small automotive ones out and rewiring farm tractor conversions but this set up looks a little different then the plug and play GM 65 amperes and I may not get any instructions with my alternator.

It is even simpler than the small ones! One wire to a guage on an ignition circuit (even this is optional!) and one for charging!

Could not find one around here for less than $175 so I got one online for $99 with free shipping same one they wanted to sell at NAPA/Oriellys/Advance even checked Ryder they were $200. They all had to be ordered or I would have probably bought one so I would not have to wait. Nobody stocks parts any more so you might as well buy online, most places have free shipping anyways. If it is not a common hardware item you might as well shop on line.

Robert

What size belts (width) do our trucks use? My engine is a 1973 ENDT675...

Thanks

Heavy trucks and industrial equipment use "B" sized belts for the most part.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yes, you probably looked at, I found it here on the for sale board. I was looking at a tandem found one from New York that was in better shape just needed paint but it had no title and when I researched on getting one here in Missouri it was going to be a pain because the truck changed hands so many times without a title after 1973. I spent two days on hold with the State of New York, Massachusetts and Missouri. I told the guy to get a letter from the state and I would buy it. He never called back. I wanted a truck I can register and tool around in not have to trailer everywhere. This one has a good title other than the floor boards not that bad I still have a couple spots on the fenders then it gets a coat of primer and paint then inspection sticker I am trying to have it done to pull my gooseneck for my daughters homecoming parade before school gets out. My pickup is not as cool as the Mack she said.

Robert

Yes, you probably looked at, I found it here on the for sale board. I was looking at a tandem found one from New York that was in better shape just needed paint but it had no title and when I researched on getting one here in Missouri it was going to be a pain because the truck changed hands so many times without a title after 1973. I spent two days on hold with the State of New York, Massachusetts and Missouri. I told the guy to get a letter from the state and I would buy it. He never called back. I wanted a truck I can register and tool around in not have to trailer everywhere. This one has a good title other than the floor boards not that bad I still have a couple spots on the fenders then it gets a coat of primer and paint then inspection sticker I am trying to have it done to pull my gooseneck for my daughters homecoming parade before school gets out. My pickup is not as cool as the Mack she said.

You must be one proud papa....

Not sure they are just over 1/2 inch wide, I did not measure the belt but I did on the the pully on the alternator and it was 1/2 inch. The way the belt sat I would have to say the belts are 9/16 but that seem like an odd size or maybe they are metric I know I will catch heck replacing them, I tried to pull one off to bring with me today and it would not squeze between the rad and the front pulley

Robert

Still looking for the correct belt size! Went to two aftermarket truck places...they said they had never heard of "B" size! Mack dealer didnt help either, wanted the 11gbh* number from my engine! Couldnt even look it up by truck and model!

Does soemone have one they can measure the width? I found B size belts online and they are 21/32 wide...wnat to verify before I order..

Thanks

That is a fact - no pickup is as cool as a Mack!

Title issues stink!

If I remember, that truck had a broken rear spring on the drivers side? Don't want that coming apart during a parade!

If I remember, that truck had a broken rear spring on the drivers side? Don't want that coming apart during a parade!

I will just put some JB weld under it and glue it back down, then hold in place with some rusty fencing as a clamp !!! :whistling:

The left front is missing a spring too, since it has such heavy suspension I was going to have the spring packs redone and softened. I was talking with a place in KC and they can redo at a reasonable price and soften the springs to ride smoother since I am not going to pull anything that wont fit on my 14K, mostly my JD 60.

Robert