My Dads' Diamond Reo

Green Dash

My Dad drove many a truck, but owned only one. In late 1977 with no business plan and a few thousand dollars, he bought a 1970 Diamond Reo cabover and was now an owner/operator. He did this for a few years and was actually successful. He just got tired of the extra work involved in running your own truck and was looking for a little less stress as he entered his 60's.

It had a 318 Detroit, RTO-913 trans, and 4.44 rears on Hendrickson "walking beam" suspension.

1970DiamondReo.gif

Folks from the NYC metro area might recognize the trailer in this next pic. It was owned by Pinter Brothers Trucking from Deer Park,NY. They had recently gone out of busniess and were renting out their equipment. My Dad used their trailers before eventually buying himself a '69 Great Dane 40 x 12'6 reefer.

untitled1.jpg

• Like 1

Jim

That is one fine looking truck!My first truck was a 1974 GMC Astro with a 318 and a 13 speed.Nothing sounded any better than a well tuned Detroit,even if you you weren't going as fast as it sounded. Steve

I still remember feeling that my insides were "vibrating" for a few minutes after getting out of the truck.

That must have been one rough ride.

I had rode shotgun in several cabovers by this time and I don't remember this one being any worse than the others, including a KW with torsion bar. I'd say they all sucked equally. Of course what I thought was normal back then would probably kill me today.

Jim

One of the smoothest riding cab overs that I ever sat in was a very short wheel base 72 Marman with a twelve leaf front suspension. I bob tailed it from Atlanta to Houston to pick up a trailer, and ended up bob tailing back. My ears are still ringing after 30 or so years from the 318, but I have never owned a cab over or conventional that would handle the the pot holes and bridge approaches across Miss. and Louisiana, as well as that little truck did.

My Dad drove many a truck, but owned only one. In late 1977 with no business plan and a few thousand dollars, he bought a 1970 Diamond Reo cabover and was now an owner/operator. He did this for a few years and was actually successful. He just got tired of the extra work involved in running your own truck and was looking for a little less stress as he entered his 60's.

It had a 318 Detroit, RTO-913 trans, and 4.44 rears on Hendrickson "walking beam" suspension.

1970DiamondReo.gif

Folks from the NYC metro area might recognize the trailer in this next pic. It was owned by Pinter Brothers Trucking from Deer Park,NY. They had recently gone out of busniess and were renting out their equipment. My Dad used their trailers before eventually buying himself a '69 Great Dane 40 x 12'6 reefer.

untitled1.jpg

That was a pretty neat old truck, my best guess, is so was your dad.
  • Like 2

Your Dad had good taste. Not too many of those left today.

Thank You.

Nice pictures! thanks for sharing,i always enjoy seeing pictures from other families evolved in the trucking business...........................................Mark

He was the first and it's looking like I'll be the last. Oh well, we had a good run!

Jim

Mines kinda unique,my grandfather was the oldest of two brothers in the trucking business,my dad also the oldest of two brothers in trucking,and i am also the oldest of two trucking....i only have one son,and unless he smartens up,does better in school,he may find his ass in a seat before its over!...........................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I am the third generation of my family to be involved in the trucking industry. I grew up around it, so I knew what I was getting into. The way I look at it, trucks always kept food on the table and a roof over my head. I also enjoy everyday that I get to go to work. -Brad

• Like 1

I am the third generation of my family to be involved in the trucking industry. I grew up around it, so I knew what I was getting into. The way I look at it, trucks always kept food on the table and a roof over my head. I also enjoy everyday that I get to go to work. -Brad

Absolutely. I knew from an early age that this was what I wanted to do but didn't actually become a full-time driver until I was 38. I had let myself get talked out of it when I was younger and thought I would eventually lose the desire to get into trucking. That never happened so here I am. I still look in the mirrors and out over the hood and think that I have to coolest job in the world.

I once told my Wife that she may not want me to offer career advice to our children. If they had come to me saying that there was nothing in the world they rather do more than shovel $hit for a living, I'd be down at the hardware store buying a shovel.

Jim

Nice photos and great memory. I remember Pinter Brothers, they were all over central L.I. One of their trailers is in the RV dealer next to Gabarelli Mack in Medford. Wish I had pics of my pops and uncles stuff when Walton P Davis from when was a good company. Did you live on the Island? Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Nice photos and great memory. I remember Pinter Brothers, they were all over central L.I. One of their trailers is in the RV dealer next to Gabarelli Mack in Medford. Wish I had pics of my pops and uncles stuff when Walton P Davis from when was a good company. Did you live on the Island? Paul

Yes in fact I graduated high school from William Floyd in '80. Born in Mineola and lived in Carle Place, Westbury, Terryville, Selden and 3 places in "Shirley and the Mastics"

I just noticed that trailer has the new logo on the nose and the old logo on the side.

Was Walton P. Davis a moving company? I remember the name but can't picture the equipment.

Jim

Same here,bad part is i STILL play with trucks!........................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Yes in fact I graduated high school from William Floyd in '80. Born in Mineola and lived in Carle Place, Westbury, Terryville, Selden and 3 places in "Shirley and the Mastics"

I just noticed that trailer has the new logo on the nose and the old logo on the side.

Was Walton P. Davis a moving company? I remember the name but can't picture the equipment.

Born and raised in Oyster Bay spent summers as slave labor at family potato farm in Mattituck , transplanted to Shirley a few years ago for the space. WAlton P Davis was a moving and storage company in Locust Valley at Barneys Corner and ran bright red COE Internationals and F Macks. They also hauled race horses from Roosevelt and Aquaduct race tracks to Saratoga Fla.. Rode right seat with my uncle when I was a kid on local runs. Pop worked weekends servicing their trucks and trailers. I was head tool hander at about 6 or 7 years old. Started my career in mechanics and driving then. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I vaguely remember the moving vans but the only local horse carrier I recall pulling out of Roosevelt was Woodbury Horse Transportation. They had black IH Transtars.

Is that farm still putting out potatoes?

I've got the last 16 acres left out of the original 500. 3 have my shop and equipment on it, one is a buffer and 12 are leased to Pindar Vineyards. Not any market for L.I. potatos any more.

W.P.Davis carried the trotters that each of the Pratt, Schiff and the Woodward families owned. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

I've got the last 16 acres left out of the original 500. 3 have my shop and equipment on it, one is a buffer and 12 are leased to Pindar Vineyards. Not any market for L.I. potatos any more.

W.P.Davis carried the trotters that each of the Pratt, Schiff and the Woodward families owned. Paul

I always liked the farms on L.I. They were very beautiful and green. I would take the ferry out of New London and spend the day out on L.I.

I figured it would be producing either grapes or condos. Good to see it's still being farmed.

I always preferred car rides to the North Fork versus the South. Seeing all that farmland was enough to make you forget you were still on the island.

Did the New London Ferry allow tractor trailers? i'm thinking we may have used it to bring a load from Quincy,MA to Waldbaum's in Central Islip.

Jim

I figured it would be producing either grapes or condos. Good to see it's still being farmed.

I always preferred car rides to the North Fork versus the South. Seeing all that farmland was enough to make you forget you were still on the island.

Did the New London Ferry allow tractor trailers? i'm thinking we may have used it to bring a load from Quincy,MA to Waldbaum's in Central Islip.

I know they allowed ten wheelers but I'm not sure on trailer trucks. I'm sure the farm land is worth more planting houses than veggies now.

Back in the mid 80's I started to sell off because I was taxes equal to the abutting homes. That changed in the mid 90's with the Save the Farm push, but by 2000 we were all limited by local enviromental laws concerning dust from plowing, water usage and fertilizing (mostly created by the city people at their summer homes). Sold most to Pindar and leased 12 and donated the house to Suffolk County Historical Society. Here is me a few winters ago with some of whats left, including Granpa Stazweski's tractor.

New London Ferry takes all trucks here is the link to fees.

https://www.longislandferry.com/Common/Help.aspx?page=fares

Paul

46nme.jpg

P.T.CHESHIRE