Air-O-Matic power steering:

Rob

I pulling this stuff off of my 74 RL797L to put hydraulic power steering on. The torque valve works great and does not leak, but the air cylinder is shot and needs a kit. They are bout a hundred bucks to rebuild the last I checked. It was working but I left the air shut off as it would drain the air quick and offer very little assist due to leakage. The link measures about 17 and one eighth long as removed from my truck. I don't think the ends are shot as the truck would run 75 plus with no shake or vibration. If anybody is interested in this stuff for trading send me a PM. It is not for sale at this point but I'll not use it on anything else. A couple of my B models have this power assist steering and I'll remove it also in the future.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I've heard the horror stories of air steering, but sometimes think I'd like to have some assistance on mine.

I have it on the 64 B61, (yella dog) and really like it. It is on a switch so only enabled when at low speed and jockeying around. Sure makes it easier to negotiate a lot of tight turns.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have one on my B61 and like it.If set up proper they are ok but can use too much air when in a high usage deal.When you use it awhile you learn to save the air by not making a lot of fast turns before the air can recover. One thing that can give a probvlem and some dont know it and that is the control valve that you weld in the drag link.It has to be speced for the weight of the front axle. The valve can be had with a light or heavy spring inside of it. That means buying the kit that is set up for that axle or the weight of the truck.That will make it too easy or not easy enought to turn.In the later sixties and eary 70s i and most all mechancis have install alot of them.I think a extra air tank would help them.

glenn akers

Drove a DM400 with the ppppssstttt pppsssttt steering. OMG WTF was my first thought.

Yup, air goes in on one side, it has to come out someplace on the other or no assist.

Rob

The set up I have, I got off the same weight axle as the one currently in the truck. I set it up identical to the one it came off of so thus far I have had no problems. I kept the air system the same but picked up the air from the second tank (dry tank not wet tank). Ive moved around quite a bit where my garage is and it hasnt run out of air. Thats why i like it so much.

The only reason I'm going with hydraulic power steering is to run a quicker steering ratio. Otherwise the Air-O-Matic was fine.

Rob

Rob,

I don't mind the arm-strong steering but maneuvering on our tight street and yard is tough. I would go hydraulic but honestly I don't want to start tearing into the suspension and steering just yet. How easy is it to install? I'm interested.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Rob,

I don't mind the arm-strong steering but maneuvering on our tight street and yard is tough. I would go hydraulic but honestly I don't want to start tearing into the suspension and steering just yet. How easy is it to install? I'm interested.

I have photos of the installed system on my 64B61. I'll find them and get them to you. I don't know about the drag link length on the this as it is probably longer. I can measure both. I know both steering axles are close in weight rating so this should work if it will fit.

Rob

I have photos of the installed system on my 64B61. I'll find them and get them to you. I don't know about the drag link length on the this as it is probably longer. I can measure both. I know both steering axles are close in weight rating so this should work if it will fit.

Rob

Thanks Rob.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

• 9 years later...