86 mack ride

I put new air bags under my 86 dump truck a good while back, didnt adjust control right first time and wound up breaking control and having to buy a new one. I adjusted it better this time, but still too bouncy to my liking. I took it to my kinfolks truck repair shop and asked him if he could tighten it up. He took one look at it, yanked down on cab coupla times and said cab shocks were shot. I kinda doubted it but took off for Mack place anyway and bought both shocks, 55.00 apiece. I took them back and he put them on and all i can say is,,,,Dammit, That truck rides like a dream now!!!!!! I just didnt think those 2 lil ole shocks could affect ride all that much, but they did. He said in his opinion the ones he took off were the originals. They were beyond wore out. Im old but I guess Im still living and learning,,,,randyp

Randy we had the same problem w/ the red sleigh (the truck in my profile pic named cause the driver looked like thin verson of santa clause) bout a year after we bought it in 94' . the driver got on the radio & said he seen the back of the cab sag when he was out of the truck. i thought it might had been the leveling valve but it was the Bags under the cab .

took a little scissor(sp?) jack jacked up the cab took the old air bags out replace w/ new airbags cranked the seligh back up let air build back on him & the cab raised back up & took the jack out . the red sleigh rode like a new after that.

Your right its amazing what a couple shocks (or air bags under the cab in my case ) will affect the ride when wore slap out .

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Yeah, when i bought that truck, both bags were out and get this,,,previous owner, instead of replacing them, had welded a brace under cab to hold it up, you can imagine the ride that was giving. I immediately removed brace and replaced bags, but didnt replace shocks then, I should have. I had a pretty good rassling match with that leveling valve several times, but those new shocks made such a difference,,,well,,pardon pun, its just shocking. randyp

I've only 1 R model with the air ride cab and was very disappointed with the ride the first time I drove it and sure enough, it had bad shocks. I have to agree, they made a huge difference. I never would have thought you could get such a smooth ride out of an R, let alone a single axle daycab with a spring suspension.

BTW Randy, Thanks for the mudflap chick. She gives my posts a touch of class-something that I couldn't provide.

Edited by Green Dash

Jim

I ain't never had anything with air ride before. The B model I'm working with will be the first. Quite possibly my 74 RL797 will get the Neway cutoff recently purchased and I've already acquired the parts to make the cab air ride.

Looking forward to it as this one has a good possibility of being my routine driver.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You are quite welcome for mud flap chick green dish, and yes Rob, i think you will like cab air ride. You get everything tuned right on it, not too squishy and not too firm, and it gives very comfortable ride, makes a long day seem shorter, even affects shifting. I think the main reason I broke first leveling valve was because wore out ass shocks were letting it drop too low when it was shut offf and had no air pressure, hence overextending leveling valve down and snapped it off. I didnt think $55.00 apiece was too bad a price either for shocks. Rob, Im not a paint person, but regardless of bed color i decide, what type of paint do i need to buy? I will prolly use air compressor and spray gun. What would be a good durable type or brand of paint? thanks,,,randyp

• Like 1

You are quite welcome for mud flap chick green dish, and yes Rob, i think you will like cab air ride. You get everything tuned right on it, not too squishy and not too firm, and it gives very comfortable ride, makes a long day seem shorter, even affects shifting. I think the main reason I broke first leveling valve was because wore out ass shocks were letting it drop too low when it was shut offf and had no air pressure, hence overextending leveling valve down and snapped it off. I didnt think $55.00 apiece was too bad a price either for shocks. Rob, Im not a paint person, but regardless of bed color i decide, what type of paint do i need to buy? I will prolly use air compressor and spray gun. What would be a good durable type or brand of paint? thanks,,,randyp

Not sure why I wound up with 2 posts, must be cause its 4:am.

Rust-Oleum "Hard Hat" series over on industrial epoxy primer would be my first choice. It is also available in spray cans. I like both their gray and silver colors myself but the silver is hard to spray evenly.

I have a couple of old R model cabs that are air ride with the hardware attached so shouldn't have to get too much else rounded up.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yeah, when i bought that truck, both bags were out and get this,,,previous owner, instead of replacing them, had welded a brace under cab to hold it up, you can imagine the ride that was giving. I immediately removed brace and replaced them with a couple of 4x4 wooden blocks, but didnt replace shocks then, I should have. I had a pretty good rassling match with that leveling valve several times, but those new blocks made such a difference,,,well,,pardon pun, its just shocking. randyp

that's what i'd have done too.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Rob, do you think it would be feasible or possible to spray entire bed with spray cans or does that just sound too goofy? It wouldnt bother me if it took dozen or so, I wouldnt mind doing that, less trouble than refilling sprayer and such. randyp

You could do it with spray cans the the cost would almost be 10 times the application cost with a spray gun. There just is not much material in the spray cans, and it is reduced to spraying consistency. I would use the spray cans only for the inevitable scarring that will occurr with use.

Rob

You could do it with spray cans the the cost would almost be 10 times the application cost with a spray gun. There just is not much material in the spray cans, and it is reduced to spraying consistency. I would use the spray cans only for the inevitable scarring that will occurr with use.

Rob

Okay, noted, thanks. Im still leaning towards yeller,,,heh heh,,,randyp

Yeah, when i bought that truck, both bags were out and get this,,,previous owner, instead of replacing them, had welded a brace under cab to hold it up, you can imagine the ride that was giving. I immediately removed brace and replaced bags, but didnt replace shocks then, I should have. I had a pretty good rassling match with that leveling valve several times, but those new shocks made such a difference,,,well,,pardon pun, its just shocking. randyp

Ya that leveling valve can be a pain in the ass somtimes .

i bet that metal brace was a STIFF Ride. :o but w/ new air bags & shocks i bet that ole :bulldog1: rides like a dream now (for a construction truck) :twothumbsup: .

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Okay, noted, thanks. Im still leaning towards yeller,,,heh heh,,,randyp

Those small foam rollers work great for painting dump beds,I have used them many times fast easy and no mess,if you use rustoleum add something to help it dry faster,you'll be convinced it's the only way to go,I use them to paint my rims to,so fast and easy...

Macks have a very valid point with the foam rollers and the faster/accelerator to make the paint dry. Also keep in mind if you use bright "Yeller", you are going to need just about twice the amount of paint needed with most any other color as it is very translucent and will require a couple of coats additional to cover. A good way to cheat the system is to use a white primer coat beneath yellow.

Rob

• Like 1

Macks, Rob, Thanks yous two very much! I had kinda wondered bout trying to cover red with yeller, sounded rather worrisome, hadnt considered white primer though,,,,,good ideer,,,foam rollers Macks,,,,,,,,good ideer. Im keeping you two on as consultants, checks are in the mail,,,,,,,,thanks,,,randypee

Macks, Rob, Thanks yous two very much! I had kinda wondered bout trying to cover red with yeller, sounded rather worrisome, hadnt considered white primer though,,,,,good ideer,,,foam rollers Macks,,,,,,,,good ideer. Im keeping you two on as consultants, checks are in the mail,,,,,,,,thanks,,,randypee

I still have the last rubber check you sent. I accidently dropped it and it knocked out a ceiling light after hitting the floor.

Rob

I could use the check,I'm getting low on rollers and paint lol...hey if there's an easy way to do it I've been known to find it, have fun and don't forget to post pictures when your done..

That ought to be good cause a good "brush & roller" guy wears as much as he gets on the surface to be painted!

Be certain to post photos of yourself too.

Rob