Step tanks for Superliners

I'm sure this question has been asked by why did Mack put smooth tanks on the Superliner instead of step tanks? I think the step tanks are much better and they don't have brackets that rot off. Also don't stick out as far as the the steps on the smooth tanks. Roadusecharges has step tanks on his Superliner and they look great.

If I replace my tanks I will use step yanks instead. They are better hands down.

I like them better myself. Always raking my ankle or leg on the "stair treads" of my RL's getting in and out.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Or how about your pants on this little squares. Also the step sticks out and more likely to catch on a object and bend the tank, bin there.

My 74 RL797 ripped a good chunk out of a new pair of Levi's jeans the first time I wore them when I was getting into the cab. I welded that up pronto and ground it smooth so no more sharp edges.

It is not easy getting size 46X30 jeans neither so "Momma" stitched it back together.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

We there you have it. Both kinds have issues, from chicklights to muddyboots find'in the hole. Rob 32 x 36 jeans are get'in hard to find too, I think they're gonna need a couple models at the jean factory.....

I only wish I were that tall and thin to take be able to wear that size jeans.

Rob

my RB has alum step tanks, and I am forever welding or replacing the treads,either they wear out and or crack the welds! Ive had a few time were my size 13 muddy boot just cant find the hole. dont tell the ole lady i said that! bobo

Are the aluminum treads available separate? I have one worn through on the top foldover from vertical to horizontal. Been welded a couple of times but it needs replaced.

Rob

Yes, I have bought them new but be ready to hold your ass....

Little easier to find a donor tank eh? Problem is all the damaged tanks I've seen to cut it out of are pretty thin in the step treads also.

Rob

Yes, I have bought them new but be ready to hold your ass....

hey tim where did you get the treads from? I've never seen replacement aluminum treads. Steel treads yes, but not aluminum. What i have done is cut a piece from a smooth tank runner modifed it to fit proper. bobo

Step tanks are a pain to polish,,,,,,,unlike smooth tanks just remove the step buff and your done

Also when your in muddy conditions the first step is 3 feet long for banging the mud off

the second step is 3 feet long so you can take them mud boots off and put your flipflops on to get in the cab

Also the longer top step is much more comfortable if you need to piss :lol:

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

Step tanks are a pain to polish,,,,,,,unlike smooth tanks just remove the step buff and your done

Also when your in muddy conditions the first step is 3 feet long for banging the mud off

the second step is 3 feet long so you can take them mud boots off and put your flipflops on to get in the cab

Also the longer top step is much more comfortable if you need to piss :lol:

What if you have to squat to piss? I don't like my ass cheeks getting cold.

Rob

hey tim where did you get the treads from? I've never seen replacement aluminum treads. Steel treads yes, but not aluminum. What i have done is cut a piece from a smooth tank runner modifed it to fit proper. bobo

bobo, I picked them up at a mack parts dealer in Derby Vt. They sold off to a local parts store and I can find out what they have left. Since they had one on the shelf I asumed they were still avaliable.

Rob, look on craigs list in Vt. there was two polished tanks for sale.

Thanks Tim, I'm needing a couple for another of my trucks.

Rob

There was a fella over by Zoin,IL that had an early CH with tanks that had the built in step (R Model). He claimed to order it that way. I kinda believed him because they were a tad fatter around than a. R model tank. I really like the R model style tank, although I have to admit there are mornings when that step seems to be a bit higher than it was the day before. A few years ago my brother took a couple guys to the DMV to get there CDL's with his 91'. The state instructor wouldn't get in on account of the step be so high. Claimed that it was un safe. -Brad