Looking for B61 air compressor rebuild specs/info '59 B61 w/673 diesel

jdstl

Hey Guys,

I got my manual from the mack museum, but there really ins't any great pictures of the compressor or instructions on how to take it apart to rebuild or service it, other than a table that lists symptoms and causes, and a cross sectional view that is pretty hard to make out (dark copy). One of the things it lists is improper clearence on the valves but it doesn't give you any clearences that are correct. I would like to find an exploded view or detailed service instructions if possible with tear down and assembly steps.

Thanks for any help.

Jason

-Jason-

1959 Mack B61T single axle short wheel base, concave cab. 673 diesel, duplex trans. Running but under contruction!

Hey Guys, I got my manual from the mack museum, but there really ins't any great pictures of the compressor or instructions on how to take it apart to rebuild or service it, other than a table that lists symptoms and causes, and a cross sectional view that is pretty hard to make out (dark copy). One of the things it lists is improper clearence on the valves but it doesn't give you any clearences that are correct. I would like to find an exploded view or detailed service instructions if possible with tear down and assembly steps. Thanks for any help. Jason
Pull it off the engine and send it to these guys near Chicago. Good work at pretty fair prices. www.rebuildersenterprises.com I've used them a few times with no faults. Pretty easy rebuild to just throw rings into but if you want it right it will be difficult to get everything yourself.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks for the info, I may try calling watts and see if they have any info on it, I don't know what brand it is I cant see any tag on it as it covered in grease. I wouldn't mind rebuilding it myself, I run an automotive machine shop and build engines for a living.. I think the rebuilding the compressor is within my capabilities if I had the specs on it.

Jason

-Jason-

1959 Mack B61T single axle short wheel base, concave cab. 673 diesel, duplex trans. Running but under contruction!

Thanks for the info, I may try calling watts and see if they have any info on it, I don't know what brand it is I cant see any tag on it as it covered in grease. I wouldn't mind rebuilding it myself, I run an automotive machine shop and build engines for a living.. I think the rebuilding the compressor is within my capabilities if I had the specs on it.

Jason

Most of the B models used a Bendix-Westinghouse Tu-Flo 500. Specs are available on Bendix website. You'll have no problem if you can bore and get pistons. The bores on those are less than two inches if I remember correctly. Seems like I still have some left over "Hastings" rings for those from years back.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Jason

It's a lot easier to purchase a remanned one and leave the old one for the core. My old man used to rebuild everything and he even says just replace it. And by everything I even mean rebuilding maxi-brake cans to quick releases.. Even made up special holders and compressors for them. I rebuild a lot of things. Engines, compressors, transmissions, valves...etc. When a remanned one is available and time is dedicated to other rebuilds... but anyways heres a bendix tru flow manual-

http://www.bendixvrc.com/itemDisplay.asp?documentID=2390

Well good thing I checked the most obvious thing first... I took the air filter off and it was packed solid with hardened grease and dirt. I'm surprised it made any pressure at all. Going to throw that back on and see what we get.

Jason

-Jason-

Well good thing I checked the most obvious thing first... I took the air filter off and it was packed solid with hardened grease and dirt. I'm surprised it made any pressure at all. Going to throw that back on and see what we get.

Jason

Lot of folks these days don't even know the old ones used a filter on the intake.

Rob

It pushes 120psi no problem now... Sweet! At least it was a simple fix. Just need to get my lights wired up and I'm ready to cruise around in it a little!

Jason

-Jason-

I rebuilt my own with basic engine machining practices and it turned out great and I had a great sense of repairing it myself I got all measurements of the bendix web site down loaded as PDF but it looks like you don't need to any more