new firetruck

joes mack

i just got informed that the department im on just bought a cf 600 truck today. but there is a small prob with the truck they said sometimes it will start just fine for 2/3 days at a time and the next day you might have to put a charger on it to start it. does it sound like it is the alt going bad or mabey the starter. i told them that the truck should have dual starters from the other trucks ive looked at but the chief from the dept we got it from says he dont know if it has or not but it has two buttons a/b and that they only use the a button. we had a truck that cranked slow and would do the same thing before we changed the starter and that fixed the prob but i dont know much about the mack thanks for any and all info joe

Hey Joe. Where you goin with that gun in your hand?

Sorry.

Check condition of each battery. Also seems that there is a draw somewhere that over several days is reducing batteries ability.

The '72 CF we had had a switch next to drivers seat. Turn to A, B, or both, or off

The Cf is a very good engine/pump combo. Just getting used to sitting ahead of steers can be fun. Not a cab-over where the wheels is under you.

Pump size, tank size?

Oh yeah, PICS,PICS, PICS. we like pics of MACK trucks almost as much as nekkid wimmins

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

all 4 batts are new but that dont mean much as could be a bad one. i just got back from checking truck out and i think you might be right about the draw they have 6 lights (hand held) siting in the chargers and the lights are direct connected the batts they are taking the lights and chargers out for their new truck right now so hopefully that might be the prob. the truck is a 87 cf600 1000gal tank 1250 gpm pump lots of storage and a 10,000 watt onan genn on it. its a good truck and we have fought fire with it several times as mutial aid as it belonged to a neighboring fire dept the truck was refurbed in 98 with a new body all alum only has a little rust in the floors of the 2 jump seats but that can be easily fixed with new tread plate. the truck is suposed to be delivered tonite and i will try to get some pics. the horn button has custom built for millington F.D. on it but dont know which millington. where is the ser# on the frame located the door tag is missing id like to get the mack museum to send the info on this truck.

6 handlights may or may not have enough draw to affect the batteries that much, not saying it isn't impossible. Any fire apparatus that has equipment on board which needs charging should either have the equipment tied into a separate 110V system that gets plugged in whenever the rig is in quarters, or the truck batteries should be monitored and charged as necessary by an on-board conditioner like a Kussmaul. They are not terribly expensive. Also, did you check the cells and make sure they are full of electrolytes (if they are not maintenance free??)

Also I assume it has a Waterous Pump- if you dont get the pump books with the truck, make sure you call Waterous's customer service people and give them the pump S/N (from the rating plate on the pump panel) and ask for a complete new manual. They will send you a S/N specific 3-ring binder with the parts breakdowns and operation/care/maintenance & repair manual.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Sporadic battery issues are an indicator that it may be a ground issue. Check the grounds to make sure they are clean. If it has a Cole-Hersee switch make sure the terminals are tight on the back. Use "both" when turning on the switch.

A mechanic can use an ammeter to check the draw of the starter to see if it is excessive. Given the price of a new starter I'd make damn sure it was bad before I replaced it.

There is a Millington in Delaware. Don't know if they used Macks, but it is definetly Mack country.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

just got finished with the truck and may have found the batt drain prob. the master switch is loose and dont think it is disconnecting all the time. with it off you can barely bump it and the interior lights will come on and when you barely touch it again they will go out . it does have a waterious pump. man its strange driving it the steering wheel feels like you are going to reach through the windshield when turning but it runs really good and i might like it if i could get used to the auto. i kept trying to mash the clutch and couldnt find it that was funny. ill try and get some pics tomorrow and see if i canget them on here.

Glad you found the electric glitch.

It's great to see a CF in service that hasn't been 4 doored. Real old school.

Really long wheel base for a country rig. I hope you can get it where you need to go.

The is a Millburn FD in KY, so that would be the logical choice. Internet search also turned up a NJ Millburn.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

they paid $5,000 for it. there is a radio compartment beside the pump pannel that has about 10 dif fire depts listed ill try and get a pic of it but i would bet its orig from Nj. the other department that had it is only 4 miles away and they had it for about 5/6 years and they have the sister truck to it but it is about 3 feet shorter it dont have the extended front bumper and the rear over hang is a little shorter.

• 2 weeks later...

i talked to some people on the millburn f.d. today when i got home from work and to my suprise the guys i spoke with remembered the truck well. and they had all of the service manuals and all of the orig paper work for the truck and he told me that they would ship everthing they had for the truck to me. he said that it was the first automatic truck they bought and that it has a EM6 237 engine. they are going to send pics of truck fighting fire when it was new and i am going to send them pics of the truck now so they can see that their one time pride of the fleet is now the pride of the fleet once agin. they sold the truck in 1997.