JD 4430

My favorite tractor 1975 JD 4430. pulls 10'6'' mower very well! Tim

The 4430, like the 4020 is one of the best power to weight ratio tractors produced. Like Mack with their "balanced bogie" design, it just works well together.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob, that's right. Great design for sure that is like the energizer bunny. Here is our 1967 4020 with M&W turbo, Tim

I have an umcle with a 72 4020, (side shift) with the M&W kit, factory loader, auxilary hydraulics, and original hydraulic box scraper. It doesn't do work any longer except grade the drive and only has 1500 and change hours. The original paint has never been touched since new. It's always kept inside a closed barn, and still shines.

He turned down $25,000 for it at a show and the guy had $10K in cash on him looking to take this one home!

I like the 4020 series and have painted several through the years as they are still a very popular "chore" tractor.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Wow! What a tractor your Uncle has. They do hold their value and then some. I had a 4020 hi crop, I loved that tractor but lost it in a barn fire in 1996 I was pretty bummed for a long time. I'll see if I can find a photo of it. JD tractors are awesome and even little things like the steering on our 2550 4x4, you turn the wheels and they angle themsevles on the axle for tighter turning radius. Engineering marvels of John Deere!

My granddad had a 70 and two 730s, all diesels. Wish I still had them around. Trey

I had a Case "530" I wish I'd kept. Had power steering, live hydraulics, live pto addition, wide front, and eagle hitch. Run like a top. I sold it to a guy that only takes it to tractor shows around the midwest after I had repainted and rechromed everything original.

Rob

Case was a very good tractor and I like the 530 too. Good old American tractor. I had a VAH which I still wish I had but can't keep them all. Trey, 730 JD great tractor too I had a direct start diesel but man wear your ear plugs! Tim

We still have several "VA" series tracors in the family. Two "VAC" with row crop, two with wide front, and two "VAI" with industrial loaders. All are small by todays standards but run well and do what is asked of them which is nothing more than mowing, and feed lot.

Rob

My brother Mark pulled a VAC years back and it did well with VP fuel. Sounded great, nice little tractors. More Case tractors out west than in New England I think. My Dad has a RI case. Small tractor with big rear brakes. 3 speed with a 4th road gear that is not on the shift pattern. Put her in 4th and hang on! Love the old case cast grills too! Rob, what year did case start with live PTO? Tim

My brother Mark pulled a VAC years back and it did well with VP fuel. Sounded great, nice little tractors. More Case tractors out west than in New England I think. My Dad has a RI case. Small tractor with big rear brakes. 3 speed with a 4th road gear that is not on the shift pattern. Put her in 4th and hang on! Love the old case cast grills too! Rob, what year did case start with live PTO? Tim

Yes, JI Case was very popular in the midwest for many years. We don't have anything on gaseous fuels, only gasoline on the older tractors. I have another uncle with a LPG Deere but it is convertible and he only uses gasoline with it. The tank and vaporizer are still there but it's been so many years since it was ran, I don't know if it would still operate.

I don't know what year Case started with live pto. My tractor was a 1969 model and the original owner purchased some sort of conversion kit to make it live if I remember right. He had purchased the tractor new and it was on there from day one. This one had a pretty good road gear also but I never left my property so it really wasn't used. I actually bought it to mow with and one of my farm tractor collector friends who has steam powered Case tractors/engines and older equipment, wanted it bad after seeing it reworked and pushed an offer I couldn't refuse.

I know JI Case had a lot of older stuff that was all cast iron and man does that stuff command a high dollar at flea markets for he collector/restorer crowd. I'm not really into that but my uncles are. I just do the paint work for them but some of the tractor shows I've been to are some serious effort to make em right.

Rob

My Father has been offered some good money for his RI but he dosen't get rid of anything. If you went to his house you would know what I mean. J I Case Eagle with the globe is really cool.

Yes, they are. My uncle with the 4020 has one that was a desk ornament in his bookshelf/display case. It stands about a foot tall on a little pedestal. I think this came from an old JI Case dealership when closed several years ago. That 530 had the "eagle on the globe" in the center of the steering wheel, (like a horn button) and on the sides of the hood. All three pieces were die cast and I had them rechromed. They were part of what made that tractor stand out. Of course block sanding all the panels flat, three coats of beige base, and three coats of clear block sanded flat and buffed went really well with the orange on the base tractor. The white rims were new aftermarket, as were the tires. This little tractor even had chrome hubcaps on the steer axle embossed "Case" which were also rechromed, then the lettering painted in red. I had purchased a NOS grille from a guy and this was orange and what I tinted the color to match on the base tractor.

I got to quit talking about this tractor cause i'm kicking myself in the ass all over again for selling it which was one of my more stupid moves.

Rob

Ha, Lot of work done on something to be prowd of, good for you and I be you made someones day when you sold it. I did that with a B 42 dump truck. The only time I ever listened to my wife about selling something and wish I didn't! Case tractors were a proud part of American Agriculture and pride in workmanship.

What was really funny about that whole situation is not only was it a family project cause we all worked on it, but I only mowed with it once. I had a brand new "Woods" RD7200 mower on the back and stopped mowing in the front yard at the shop for a break. A gent and his boy stopped after seeing the tractor setting there wanting to purchase it. Of course I told him no but he said, "I'll give you $10,000 for it today". This perked my ears up but I really didn't want to sell and I told him I'd think on it. He left his phone number and I agreed to call the next day. After talking with "Momma", and running the figures and labor I had in it, I thought if he really wants the tractor that bad, maybe he should have it. So we came up with a $12,000 price.

I had repaired his daughter's minivan earlier and he was actually in the shop during the repair when I was gone. He had seen the tractor dissassembled in the shop and knew what was being done to it so we agreed on $11,500 and it went home with him. Uncomfortable as I was, it was too much money to turn down and it went to a very good home. His shed is actually a heated/insulated "Morton" building and is meticulously kept. There is probably 30 antique tractors in that building in various shades of restoration, and completed. A lot of them are "top notch" in quality.

Rob

One of my family members was a A/C dealer but his "Big" tractors in the 40's/50's were four Case LA models. At least one of them had a 3-71 detroit. One of the hired men forgot to check the antifreeze level when it got cold one fall and the block cracked and they sold it for scrap. I bet that would be a neat one to restore. That was a little before my time, but the hired man still works for him. They are all in their 90's now and all they do is wait around for the mail to show up each day and mow the yard in the summer. He has worked for him for over 60 years - there is a real antique.

Nice to hear a story like. I bet the old boys have quite a few stories to tell from over the years. I had a Case D with a wide front but never restored it and someone else had fun with it. Very nice old tractors. Here is my son a few years back in the local parade with a friends Oliver.

post-426-0-61746100-1326940100_thumb.jpg