R 688 alloy wheels

Vladislav

Hello everybody!

I'm trying to put on a road my new toy - R688 E6 -1988.

It has lots of problems including custom-built 20 inch wheels.

They welded of russian KrAZ-KamAZ pieces and are of triangle form now.

Tyres are completely dead that makes together horse-riding drive from 40 km/h up to 90.

Truck was originally fitted with 24,5 Alcoas (and came on them in Russia in 1994).

There are 2 of them survived, has Alcoa number 983101 and located originaly in front.

During my research I found some Freightliner 24.5s (just no Macks in Russia :( :( :( ) and some people ready to import used wheels from America.

The matter of question:

looking in the net I noted hub or stud piloting.

I suppose there is no difference to use in front, but what's in the rear?

post-3971-0-61182400-1325802221_thumb.jp

post-3971-0-36436300-1325802261_thumb.jp

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

If you're in Moscow, you know how big a Kamaz can be. Check this video of the Kamaz racing team. It gives a whole new respect for Russian trucks.

…and you know you probably have the toughest truck in all of Russia.

oh….. хороший день

Edited by PanteraPilot

To PanteraPilot :

What the toughest truck do you mean?

KamAZ or Mack?

If we tolking about KamAZ, there is another more impressive vehicle KrAZ that has his heritage from WW2 Macks and Diamond-Ts.

I'm in Moscow, yes.

To shortstack :

Mack has suds with dubble nuts.

Alcoa 983101 means stud piloting, but it was originally in front.

To everybody:

What I'll have to do if try to fit hub type on my chassis - owerdrill holes and make central hole bigger or just put without troubles?

Edited by Vladislav

Hey Vladislav - greetings from Poland! I thought you only had Internationals in Russia, as far as the American trucks go. Congratulations on your Mack, any chances you'll be going through Poland? I'd sure like to take a look. Good luck with your machine, have a nice day

Paweł

To Shortstack:

I don't want to change something in the hubs and chassis although there is a problem to find correct wheels owerhere.

I bought some from Pet or Ken, don't know, they are of hub-piloting type. I understood you that stud, nut and "extra nut" on my axles means I have stud-piloting truck, but I'm not shure I can put hub-typers on my hubs because of a bit less size of central hole. If I can, I'll be glad to use them as inner wheels at rear, and continue a search of originals to keep correct exterior. I have big mechanical experience but over cars, not trucks. That's why I'm asking about relatively easy things.

Does your CH have hub piloting?

To PanteraPilot:

My English is really terrible as people in Russia usually have.

There is a lot of reasons for that including too little practic with mostly non-original English-spoken people.

I never been in America still and glad to know about your trips overseas.

If you visiting Russia often I'm ready to meet you for a coffee, any help from me is also avalible if required.

To Pawel:

Greetings to Poland, Pavel!

Yes, 10-15 years ago Internationals were big in number. Freightliners got this status now, here are lots of. But you can meet them inside the country, between Moscow-S.Peterburg and far away to the east. West direction is not popular to use long-nouse trucks because of no way for them to Europe.

What the city are you from?

Ah, sorry, I see - Poznan.

Newer been but drove the motorway near your location at least 6 times in the last year.

Krakow has visited by me just in Nowember, I looked Warsaw, Wroclaw, Sandomierz and many other little cities.

I saw Mack DM dump truck for sell in Poland last Autumn, somethere near Biala Podlaska - Minsk Mazoviecky. But didn't see, it was on Mobile.de.

That's right, do not use the wrong type wheel on your truck, even though they may bolt up - they will move and wear out your wheels and studs and you will end up with a big pro-blem-o!

I one time put a stud pilot budd wheel on a truck with hub pilot wheels just to try and limp home, and 10 miles later I had a junk wheel and I had to replace all the studs.

The way you tell the difference is a stud pilot wheel has a angled slope around each hole for the outer lug nut to seat into. The hub pilot type wheel does not have a angled hole on the beginning of the wheel holes, it is just a hole and the nut used with it is not a two piece nut.

Keep warm over there -

:WELCOME: TO BMT !!!! Budd Wheels Takes Sqaure shank inner nut then the outer nut . ;)

Pilot wheels take a single nut. ;)

ya as others saying , you would have to change out the hubs to have pilot wheels on an older R Model . ;)

later

:mack1: aka bulldog man on BMT .

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Really thanks for my "CAN NOT" !

I have my problem always clear now and it is good.

Although I think still :) I can try to machine areas around stud holes to form slopes.

Anyway I'll be too carefull now about all sizes and will off this way in any chance as find the originals.

Stud lock wheel (Alcoa 983100) has:

Hub bore 8,73'' = 221.74 mm

Bolt hole 1.219'' = 30.96 mm

Hub piloted (Alcoa 983600):

Hub bore 220.1 mm

Bolt hole 26.75

We can see both bores are less on hub type and I would have no problem to up them to the size.

Machining of the central hole required big equipement of course but I see no reason to keep the size of it hard. It doesn't pilot a wheel and no matter what id is. If anable to fit the wheel on a hub I think I don't have to work it ower.

Vlad

• Like 1