Went and got my 64 fired up today. I did what you guys said and took the covers off the pump and the fuel shut off was in the no fuel position. So i sprayed everything down with PB and worked it back and forth till i could do it easily and put it back together and she fired right up. The only problem i had was that the throttle stuck and wouldnt go back to idle so i took the cover back off and sprayed it down again and worked it back and forth again and it seemed to be alright. She ran great. Ran real smooth and sounded good. Very little smoke too. The trans felt good with the little bit of playing i did with it. The highest i got it in was 2nd high so i didnt really get a chance to drive it. Every sounded good and worked good. The only thing is that the throwout bearing makes noise when the clutch is in so hopefully it will stop if i put some grease in it. Everything felt good, with no power steering it steered really easy. The trans shifted good too.

Thanks for the help everyone

Chris

Went and got my 64 fired up today. I did what you guys said and took the covers off the pump and the fuel shut off was in the no fuel position. So i sprayed everything down with PB and worked it back and forth till i could do it easily and put it back together and she fired right up. The only problem i had was that the throttle stuck and wouldnt go back to idle so i took the cover back off and sprayed it down again and worked it back and forth again and it seemed to be alright. She ran great. Ran real smooth and sounded good. Very little smoke too. The trans felt good with the little bit of playing i did with it. The highest i got it in was 2nd high so i didnt really get a chance to drive it. Every sounded good and worked good. The only thing is that the throwout bearing makes noise when the clutch is in so hopefully it will stop if i put some grease in it. Everything felt good, with no power steering it steered really easy. The trans shifted good too.

Thanks for the help everyone

Chris

Always great to hear a success story Chris. Good Job!!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

What do you think it is with that throttle? Just some junk left in the pump jammin it up again? I dont want the throttle to stick at full throttle and blow the thing up. I would imagine if the throttles stickin in the pump the governor wouldnt do anything.

Good work Chris! :clap:

Glad to hear you got it running.

For added safety in the event of the rack sticking again, you could install a shutoff valve at the fuel supply line that runs from the secondary filter to the inj. pump. Hook up another dashboard mounted stop cable to it and you'll have an "emergency shutoff" that will cut off the fuel flow to the inj. pump if there's a problem.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I sprayed almost a full can of PB blaster in it so hopefully that lubed it up pretty good. HK thats a good idea with the emergency shutoff. I just cant belive how good the thing ran after sitting for 8 or so years. All i did after i freed up the rack was open the injector lines to see if i was getting fuel then tightened them and she popped right off. Once i get the truck home, hopefully in a week or so, i can really run the truck and get it hot. The guy i bought it from said i should retorque the heads before i put the engine under anysort of a load because of the 711 headgasket so i figure i'll get her nice and hot and then go and re torque and re adjust everything.

Thanks again for the help.

The ATF thing was the answer to a bunch of fuel related problems back when Moby Dick was still a minnow!

Used to fill the fuel filter with ATF at oil change and it seemed to extend injector life as well as fuel mileage.

Never could go with a quart or two in 150-200 gallons of fuel. Seemed like that was trying to fill the lake with a spoon. A gollon in 20-30 gal should make a big differance!

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

I didnt even think about atf. Sometimes at work we fill up fuel filter with it but i wasnt even thinking about it on my truck, once i get her home ill have to run it for a couple hours after i go through it with some atf in the fuel. Thanks for all the good ideas and help gettin it going.

ATF has a lot of solvents in it i know that. So not only adding lubricity to the fuel your cleaning everything. I guess i should put a new fuel filter in it, put a gallon of atf in it and run it for a while then put another new filter in.