Political Posts and related discussions

Barry

Hey everyone...I know that political talk is heating up with the elections 1 year away and everything, but we really need to limit political posting in the main forums. I have received a ton of complaints for many reasons but one is that we have a lot of members from other countries that really don't care to see see the thread list filled with political discussion. Plus, a lot of our USA members see enough on the nightly news and don't want to see it here also. I don't mind a thread here and there discussing something big in the political world, but for the most part, lets try and keep that kind of discussions int he VIP Lounge.

Again, I'm not banning all political talk and jokes...I'm just asking that we keep them in check and try to keep the main forums for on-topic, Mack related subjects. The Off Topic forum is fine for the occasional political thread as well as all other off topic satire. As per our few forum rules, I just want to limit the big three topics that cause 90 percent of forum problems...politics, racism and religion. I've found that if you keep these topics out of the forum, everyone is more comfortable and the community flows better. After all, we really do want to keep BMT a family safe environment where all Mack Truck owners and fans are welcome! That is the primary goal of this forum!

Thanks and I hope you guys understand where we are coming from!

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

Myself, being one of the purveyors of some of the finest bullshit available on the internet, can honestly say I have never been offended by anything posted on the BMT website. Probably never will. Many times in the past if a participant posts something I don't agree with, I don't respond to the post. No harm, no foul there. I don't try to bias anyone's opinion one way or another. Anybody that doesn't agree with one of my opinions is welcome to do so also. Don't really make no difference to me what someone else does cause it's no sweat off the balls I used to have, (thanks "Momma"). Basically I think if someone is unhappy with what is posted on the website, they should go elsewhere. I have come to the help of the membership many times through the website's inception in the earliest days, and will continue to do so till asked to go elsewhere myself. I make that statement as a non negotiable point. I will also say plain and simple with no ambiguity that the idea of incorporating moderators into the website was not needed and I had envisioned problems in the future with the incorporation. We have done a very good job of "policing" ourselves for a lot of years, and this trend should be allowed to continue. Change is not always good, nor needed.

Rob

That is my point exactly, only I could not say it as well. I can not say that I have seen anyone here be offensive, just to be offensive. On the other hand, Dad used to tell me that if you someone doing something wrong and don't say or do something about it, you become part of it. Correctness for the perceived point of being correct is not only incorrect it quickly destroying the foundation of this country, and what we have stood for.

No doubt...I've been to the end of the internet and back and I've seen just about everything! Nothing phases me but I do like to keep things rolling smoothly. If it were one or two complaints...no problem but we have received over a dozen complaints about off topic political material. Again, I don't want to end it completely...just limit it back some. You have to understand my predicament on this subject. It's a tough balancing act to keep a forum running smoothly and Rob is right...we have done an excellent job through the years policing ourselves. I mainly took on moderators in order to help with the increased amount of spammers lately as well as the added chore of the Mack Registry. I just don't have enough hours a day to handle everything. They were not brought on to primarily enforce rules or anything like that. I only asked them to watch for excessive political posts and stuff like that. I do realize that politics is a hot topic especially with the elections coming up and we do have a off topic forum for stuff like that, so maybe I am asking too much. If the majority of you don't mind seeing the political discussions, in off topic then it's fine by me. Let's do it right and take a poll. I'll start one now.

I've always said BMT is for the members...so lets do this right!

VOTE HERE...

• Like 1

bmodel_logo.png

That is my point exactly, only I could not say it as well. I can not say that I have seen anyone here be offensive, just to be offensive. On the other hand, Dad used to tell me that if you someone doing something wrong and don't say or do something about it, you become part of it. Correctness for the perceived point of being correct is not only incorrect it quickly destroying the foundation of this country, and what we have stood for.

What Rob said. I use my wife, if she finds it the least bit offencive I don't post it. Thats worked fo 35 years :) Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

What Rob said. I use my wife, if she finds it the least bit offencive I don't post it. Thats worked fo 35 years :) Paul

Haha, roger that!

It's hard to explain...I'm not really worried about anyone being offended as I really haven't seen that here either, but I do want everyone to feel welcomed here...no mater of their race, religion or political standing. That's where it gets a little hairy.

bmodel_logo.png

34 years for me Paul. Trouble is; I'm always on the "defensive" around "Momma" fearing for the loss of another body part.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

34 years for me Paul. Trouble is; I'm always on the "defensive" around "Momma" fearing for the loss of another body part.

Rob

We met in high school, so all my body parts that could be lost are long gone.....I guess thats make it easier. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Myself, being one of the purveyors of some of the finest bullshit available on the internet, can honestly say I have never been offended by anything posted on the BMT website. Probably never will be. Many times in the past if a participant posts something I don't agree with, I don't respond to the post. No harm, no foul there. I don't try to bias anyone's opinion one way or another. Anybody that doesn't agree with one of my opinions is welcome to do so also. Don't really make no difference to me what someone else does cause it's no sweat off the balls I used to have, (thanks "Momma").

Basically I think if someone is unhappy with what is routinely posted on a website, they should go elsewhere within that website, or to another. Complaining to an website administrator, (for instance) is very childish in my opinion. If one is unhappy with forum postings, it should be brought up in open forums for discussion. This is the art of negotiation, (not whining). The website administrator has been very lenient in the allowances of postings for many years and I too have come to the help of the membership many times through the website's inception in the earliest days, and will continue to do so till asked to go elsewhere myself. In itself, this is a great part of why BMT is where it is today, "THE BEST WEBSITE FOR MACK TRUCKS on the planet PERIOD! Why would a few want to fuck that up? I make my statements as non negotiable points. I will also say plain and simple with no ambiguity the idea of incorporating moderators into the website was not needed, and I envisioned problems in the future with the incorporation. We have done a very good job of "policing" ourselves for a lot of years, and this trend should be allowed to continue. There is much good, and bad with everything in life; it is something one must get used to. If someone needs help and they ask, it is usually provided should one of our participants have an answer.

Change is not always good, nor is it needed here.

Rob

Rob,very well put! windy as i sometimes am,don't believe i coulda said it any better..........................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I don't really have an interest in people's political, religious, or racist views, so I don't read the off topic / odds and ends boards much. If I do, I usually skip threads that have topics that indicate these subjects. I have a a few hard working friends and acquaintances that work in Dublin, and they try to make a quality American made product, so I avoid the anti-Volvo posts as well. These are my choices and I take responsibility for what I choose to read.

The only thing that is really annoying is when topics have vague titles, and it's only after I start reading a post that I realize it is a political thread. Not to point fingers, but an example is a recent post "A letter from my NAPA dealer", which was 100% political whereas I thought it might be of importance.

If there were a sub-forum of the Odds and Ends forum dedicated to the political, religious, and racist topics, that might be handy and smooth out the feathers of some of the complainants.

Hopefully, sexist posts will be encouraged throughout the site.

Edited by cfesting
  • Like 1

I don't really have an interest in people's political, religious, or racist views, so I don't read the off topic / odds and ends boards much. If I do, I usually skip threads that have topics that indicate these subjects. I have a a few hard working friends and acquaintances that work in Dublin, and they try to make a quality American made product, so I avoid the anti-Volvo posts as well. These are my choices and I take responsibility for what I choose to read.

The only thing that is really annoying is when topics have vague titles, and it's only after I start reading a post that I realize it is a political thread. Not to point fingers, but an example is a recent post "A letter from my NAPA dealer", which was 100% political whereas I thought it might be of importance.

If there were a sub-forum of the Odds and Ends forum dedicated to the political, religious, and racist topics, that might be handy and smooth out the feathers of some of the complainants.

Hopefully, sexist posts will be encouraged throughout the site.

yeah! but what about anti-Peterbilt posts?..oh, that's right, unfortunately I no longer get to drive a Pete...never mind. I am still a proud Mack owner though!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Myself, being one of the purveyors of some of the finest bullshit available on the internet, can honestly say I have never been offended by anything posted on the BMT website. Probably never will be. Many times in the past if a participant posts something I don't agree with, I don't respond to the post. No harm, no foul there. I don't try to bias anyone's opinion one way or another. Anybody that doesn't agree with one of my opinions is welcome to do so also. Don't really make no difference to me what someone else does cause it's no sweat off the balls I used to have, (thanks "Momma").

Basically I think if someone is unhappy with what is routinely posted on a website, they should go elsewhere within that website, or to another. Complaining to an website administrator, (for instance) is very childish in my opinion. If one is unhappy with forum postings, it should be brought up in open forums for discussion. This is the art of negotiation, (not whining). The website administrator has been very lenient in the allowances of postings for many years and I too have come to the help of the membership many times through the website's inception in the earliest days, and will continue to do so till asked to go elsewhere myself. In itself, this is a great part of why BMT is where it is today, "THE BEST WEBSITE FOR MACK TRUCKS on the planet PERIOD! Why would a few want to fuck that up? I make my statements as non negotiable points. I will also say plain and simple with no ambiguity the idea of incorporating moderators into the website was not needed, and I envisioned problems in the future with the incorporation. We have done a very good job of "policing" ourselves for a lot of years, and this trend should be allowed to continue. There is much good, and bad with everything in life; it is something one must get used to. If someone needs help and they ask, it is usually provided should one of our participants have an answer.

Change is not always good, nor is it needed here.

Rob

Amen brother! (bulldogman)

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

yeah! but what about anti-Peterbilt posts?..oh, that's right, unfortunately I no longer get to drive a Pete...never mind. I am still a proud Mack owner though!

Your 1 up on me. Still looking for a Mack to toy with. got my eye on a DM at my yard but can't get ahold of the guy.