paint and/or paint codes

Will obviously be painting my CF600 in the near future. Waiting on paperwork from Mack Museum. Was curious as to what type of paint (enamel, etc) Mack used in 1980. And did they have certain types of red? I'm told red paint can approach $400 per gallon, yet I saw "Mack red" on a website for $69.00. Any help as usual, is appreciated.

If it ain't a Mack, it ain't Jack!!!!!! :)

Most were done in Acrylic Enamel with Hardener. Here is the PPG color chart, there are 3 reds specificly for Fire Trucks. Click image to expand. Paul

post-3242-0-02805700-1318553469_thumb.jp

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

try the farmall red at tractorsupply....30 a gallion!

That paint will start to dull and chalk off in about three months with moderate sunlight exposure; even inside. Outside it will be completely flat in three years. Not knocking it as there is a purpose for the product but it just isn't high enough quality to put on something that has to endure exposure to the elements.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

When I get back home later tonight, I'll send you a link for a good and fairly priced supplier. I use them for "special custom mix paints" Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Here is the link.

http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/

very easy to use and I now get the Restoration Shop Acrylic Enamel from them. It runs about $55.00 a gallon in the red color. It is very easy to spray, shiny and very durable. I just started to use the HVLP set up, High Volume Low Pressure spray gun. Minimal over spray and excellent coverage...less over spray also means a lower volume of paint used. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE