Picture of a volvo

rhasler

It needed a fuse for the transmission installed (somehow the fuse for the ZF Freedom transmission went missing between the time the customer pulled into his shop and the time he tried to pull it out), and it needed the cobbled together Euro PTO wiring setup (courtesy of Muncie Power Products) fixed. I think mostly it didn't want to go out and play in the mud anymore!

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a Mack guy, and always going to be a Mack guy, but several years ago I got to drive one of the early VT800's, with a D16 (16 litre) engine, 13 spd trans, from Volvo headquarters in Greensboro NC to Lancaster, Pa. It pains me to admit this, but I could probably even have learned to like it.

The cab was very spacious and comfortable, but it took a little while to figure out all the dumb little symbols on the switches, and the stalk (turn signal) switches, like wipers, and the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel hub.

But, other than that, the ride was smooth and it was very quiet.

Well, I admit, I started to stray a little bit, but that's why I hang out here, so I can get myself straighted out and de-toxed, so back to reality, tomorrow I need to take a load of railroad rails out on the '91 Superliner, I still like that too.

post-2383-0-26371800-1319583649_thumb.jp

post-2383-0-06202900-1319583777_thumb.jp

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

The mud on it reminds me of the Charles Atlas bully at the beach ad. That 50 year old Mack kick mud all on you? Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Dave, was it the 650 HP engine?

No it was 500 something. This was probably back in 2006, before DPF. The blue granite in the background was an MP7 without DPF (pre EPA 07) This the VT came out of the test lab down there, and they were having issues like too much coolant flow for the size hoses, they were having trouble keeping lower radiator hose on it, and they had about six clamps on it, I also don't think it had enough clutch.

When the truck was in overdrive and you tramped down on it it gave the sensation that either the drive tires were breaking loose or the clutch was slipping. It was an animal, and it sure did turn heads comming up the road.

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

• 2 weeks later...

The sad thing is you can get good fuel mileage out of a large car. Better then these aero trucks

dont doubt that,,man..i used to drive one with the volvo engine,,the thing got lousy milage,,,and the engineers are idiots,,ther not driver friendly at all,,sept for the ride,,but who cares about that.lol.bob