Air Ride Suspension for MH

farmer52

I located a Hendrickson air ride suspenion that is on a 2003 Sterling. Does anyone know if my Mack rear axle will bolt-up to this suspension? What if any parts do I need to make it fit the axle? What questions should I be asking the seller about the suspension? TIA

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

The "seat of the pants" ride is not too bad considering the air ride seat and cab suspension. But the back axle jumps around when going over rough pavement. Plus you either hang on tight to the shift lever or keep your hand away as it can be spastic. If you have something in the cup holder it bounces out. I talked to a guy at Macungie with an air ride single axle MH and he said it is smooth. When I go to Gerhart's I am going to run the rear tire pressure on the low side (85-90 psi) and see if it makes a difference.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

The "seat of the pants" ride is not too bad considering the air ride seat and cab suspension. But the back axle jumps around when going over rough pavement. Plus you either hang on tight to the shift lever or keep your hand away as it can be spastic. If you have something in the cup holder it bounces out. I talked to a guy at Macungie with an air ride single axle MH and he said it is smooth. When I go to Gerhart's I am going to run the rear tire pressure on the low side (85-90 psi) and see if it makes a difference.

I have tubeless and run 60 psi in the back 90 psi on the front. when i went to Macungie hauling the F-Model i pumped the back up to 80 psi, alot better ride bobtailing with 60 psi than with 90-100psi. Ron

I located a Hendrickson air ride suspension that is on a 2003 Sterling.  Does anyone know if my Mack rear axle will bolt-up to this suspension?  What if any parts do I need to make it fit the axle?  What questions should I be asking the seller about the suspension?  TIA

Yes.

the Boler [aka "Hendrikson"] HAS 380 / 460 is exactly the same unit as the mack unit. The differences are in the front brackets [if made in different model years only] and the shock towers. Mack originally used the 57QL411M Air Spring [there is no such thing as an air bag under a truck, btw] and Boler used the Firestone version, which had Firestone not Mack moulded in the bellow. The replacement Firestone Spring is 57QL414 M and while the Firestone unit tends to use the 70-3582-6041 bracket and 5648 bumper, the Mack uses the 70-3582-6044 bracket and the 5361 bumper. -- the primary differences is the HAS has a 1/2"difference in collapsed height and  a 2.55"side stud centre instead of Macks 2.56" side stud centre. The differences are infinitesimal and I suspect that the differences are because Mack has a less oval hole or similar than might be found on the HAS series.... If you are using all original parts from the new supension, or are not mixing mack and boler springs and reuse your original bead plate brackets, none of this will mattter much.

Mack now uses good year springs. I think the part number is 1R12-470 and the bellow number is likly to be 566-24-3-097. This unit is metric as opposed used to Firestone being SAE.

Bolers plant is on US 62 in Waco, Ohio [Canton area, east of cross truck equipment and freightliner / Mack]. I think that is East Tuskawarus Street, there Driver.

I wrote all of this off the top of my head, so there may be a few minor errors, but it is otherwise very accurate.

hope this gets you where you wanna go. 3's and 8's my man.

Edited by swjr

• 2 weeks later...