Bio Diesel In Old Diesel Engines

ThaddeusW

Has anyone here ran bio diesel in their older diesel engines? I see that some stations are offering B20 and a regional cooking oil recycler has a bio diesel club here in the city that offers B99 or pure bio diesel. The pure stuff is made to what they advertise as ASTM standards. I don't know if there is a big price difference, the pure stuff may be higher in price.

I would imagine any bio diesel sold as a motor fuel would have to be compatible with just about all diesel engines. Seeing how much my engine smokes, I thought it would be funny if the coal roll smelled like french fries (supposedly the smell produced by bio diesel).

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Has anyone here ran bio diesel in their older diesel engines? I see that some stations are offering B20 and a regional cooking oil recycler has a bio diesel club here in the city that offers B99 or pure bio diesel. The pure stuff is made to what they advertise as ASTM standards. I don't know if there is a big price difference, the pure stuff may be higher in price.

I would imagine any bio diesel sold as a motor fuel would have to be compatible with just about all diesel engines. Seeing how much my engine smokes, I thought it would be funny if the coal roll smelled like french fries (supposedly the smell produced by bio diesel).

i just started to run b-20 in my off road equipment. mydealer said you shouldnt notice any difference. may have to change filters allittle sooner. but runs fine.

gg2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

i just started to run b-20 in my off road equipment. mydealer said you shouldnt notice any difference. may have to change filters allittle sooner. but runs fine.

gg2

Wait till it gets cold outside. If you plan to run this in the winter, you will need to install fuel heaters cause it gells terrible when cool outside.

Peoria quit using it due to storage and winter operating costs.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Wait till it gets cold outside. If you plan to run this in the winter, you will need to install fuel heaters cause it gells terrible when cool outside.

Peoria quit using it due to storage and winter operating costs.

Rob

Rob,

That I did not know. I doubt I will be going anywhere in the winter but starting it up once a week is something that I should do. Cant do that with jello in the tanks.

I know there are anti gel additives but the real question is do they actually work.

-Thad

As long as you use from B5 to B20, I suspect you will not have any problems since it is blended with highway diesel. Additives would be required for cold weather operation and although biodiesel is made to ASTM specs, moisture and some bacterial contamination in storage tanks can be an issue.

John

Never thought of trying biodiesel in older diesels but its a cool thought since there is a biodiesel plant up the road from me. :SMOKIE-LFT:

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Since it is cut with diesel, gel may not be a big issue. I don't know. Brookhaven and Islip banned the sale of Bio along with E-85, I think it's a ground water thing. There was a few tractors at the show this weekend in the pull, running Bio Blend with no problems and PRATTS runs most of their machines on it. Makes me hungry to smell it.....mmmmmmmmm fries... Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Since it is cut with diesel, gel may not be a big issue. I don't know. Brookhaven and Islip banned the sale of Bio along with E-85, I think it's a ground water thing. There was a few tractors at the show this weekend in the pull, running Bio Blend with no problems and PRATTS runs most of their machines on it. Makes me hungry to smell it.....mmmmmmmmm fries... Paul

Hmm interesting, In Farmingdale you can still get E-85.

I am sorry we missed each other at the show. It was a busy day and I only stayed a few hours. Next year I will be there with my B.

-Thad

Hmm interesting, In Farmingdale you can still get E-85.

I am sorry we missed each other at the show. It was a busy day and I only stayed a few hours. Next year I will be there with my B.

I was in and out a few times and there part of sunday. My cousin and I were trying to get his Walters moved in Cutchoque. I should have given you my Cel #. If all goes well next year I should have a running chassis for my AC there.

We go "over the line" to the town of Riverhead for E-85 for my '55 chevy when I need the extra bit of power it gives you. 50 /50 mix of E-85 and Rocket Racing fuel.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE