Wipers.....not Wiping

So after fiddling with just about every lever, switch and knob in the cab I found my wiper knob. I gave it a twist and I see the wipers move outward but they do not return and I hear air hissing from behind the dash (when the engine is shut off). Is there a good procedure or trick to get the wiper motor running without removing it from behind the dash? I want to keep the air wipers even though they can be a huge pain.

Also is there a way to use more modern wiper blades on the arms?

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

So after fiddling with just about every lever, switch and knob in the cab I found my wiper knob. I gave it a twist and I see the wipers move outward but they do not return and I hear air hissing from behind the dash (when the engine is shut off). Is there a good procedure or trick to get the wiper motor running without removing it from behind the dash? I want to keep the air wipers even though they can be a huge pain.

First thing to try would be to remove the air inlet line and get some air tool oil into the motor. Work the motor by hand without air a few strokes to get it circulated. That motor is not real difficult to work with once it's out of the truck. Take it apart, clean it up and most times just put it back together. The old oil, grease, and sludge cakes up inside them and the exhaust muffler can get plugged easily. If you remove it from the truck and get some air to it on a bench it can be tested easily.

The valve is easily repaired as it just contain "O" rings for the most part.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Watts Mack has replacement wipers that are nice...I bought a set for mine...have you been through the online B model catalog? Its loaded with goodies

reminds me of the time the air wipers quit on the F-model I was driving. I hit on the windshield with my fist, thinking they were just stuck- sometimes i'd have to stop and get out and start them moving by hand before they'd start working. So, nothing happened when I hit the windshield, it was pouring rain, so I hit it again a little harder and broke the windshield. Found out the arm had come loose from the motor, so I stopped at the truckstop and bought a bottle of rain-x.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

• 2 weeks later...

Fixing the wiper motor is no big deal. I had mine off a few years back and cleaned it up. There is a switch back valve on the end of the motor that is suppose to toggle the air to move it back/forth. If it's gummed up, it won't(and will only run one way). Just make sure you mark the air lines so they go back on the right spot. There is one that is the main supply, make sure it's not faulty. Mine started running really slow. I replaced that one line and now they dam near throw themselves off the window.

The dash valve is another simple fix. Getting it off is the bear, then it's only a simple O-ring to fix the leak. Don't tear up the paper gasket that is between the body and rear cover. Mine was good for a few years, then I know it's one of the reasons mine airs down so quickly after shutting off engine.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"