Victim Of The Economy?

Rob

Last night I loaded up my brake drums, (all six of em), several B series grille shells, shutters, sets of fenders, fuel tanks, truck rims, (several) and two tubs of small parts and headed for the blaster to get everything cleaned up. I drive up to the back door and although it's a bit warm, all the door and windows are shut. Thinking this is odd I walk up to the back door, pull the handle and it's locked. Looking into the building through the glass door I can plainly see the interior is devoid of any form of business entity. Figuring they must have moved I call the number listed on the sign in the parking lot and the number is diconnected.

Damn, now I got to find someone new cause these folks closed on short order and evacuated. I told them in mid June I would be bringing a lot of parts in the first couple of weeks of July and they didn't even call.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Same thing happened with the outfit we purchased a brake rivet press from about five years ago. We needed a part for it and while trying to source it found the company has since gone under.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Hmmm...could be a bidness opportunity here. I could set Jo up in the blasting bidness and she could make a little money on the side blasting stuff while i'm trucking around. Probably wouldn't take off though, she knows nothing about splosives.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Hmmm...could be a bidness opportunity here. I could set Jo up in the blasting bidness and she could make a little money on the side blasting stuff while i'm trucking around. Probably wouldn't take off though, she knows nothing about splosives.

No doubt bout it Tom, a female and a brick of C-4 would not be a good mix! randyp

Rob, with all of your other great equipment, I would of thought you owned a truck mounted blaster! You could probably sneak a portable blaster passed "Momma" and she would have not have to "know" anything about it!

Leslie

Rob, with all of your other great equipment, I would of thought you owned a truck mounted blaster! You could probably sneak a portable blaster passed "Momma" and she would have not have to "know" anything about it!

Leslie

I'm actually looking to purchase a 40" square pressure blast cabinet with a 36" rotary table for automated parts cleanup. I have a 150# pressure pot that I used to blast with, but it's not been used in about 14 years. I sold the "Sullair" compressor when it was decided to sub the blasting work due to EPA concerns. I kept the pot thinking I may build a cabinet someday. Hasn't happened yet. I have a small suction blast cabinet and that is going by the wayside sometime.

"Momma" is actually an accountant. I don't think I can spend a nickel and get it by her. That girl can "smell" money and her sense of hearing is so acute that a penny dropped from six blocks away on sand during an air raid drill would probably be heard.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

There must be something nastier than blasting parts but I haven't found it yet. I wish I could find a reliable reasonable shop in my area to do my stuff.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

There must be something nastier than blasting parts but I haven't found it yet. I wish I could find a reliable reasonable shop in my area to do my stuff.

You have a basic idea why this operation went sublet.

Rob

I recently went to a metal working show where I saw a demo of soda blasting. It seemed to be really messy, but as effective and less damaging (if at all) than conventional sand/grit blasting. The clean up from all the dust was just to wash everything down with plain old garden hose water. I think, if my ancient memory serves me, taht they said that they had an outlet in Cumberland, MD.

If I were filthy rich and had my 60X100 outbuilding with multiple lifts, I would add the soda blasting to my equipment for sure.

Art

Art Lawrence

arthur.lawrence@firetruck.com

Gaithersburg, MD

I recently went to a metal working show where I saw a demo of soda blasting. It seemed to be really messy, but as effective and less damaging (if at all) than conventional sand/grit blasting. The clean up from all the dust was just to wash everything down with plain old garden hose water. I think, if my ancient memory serves me, taht they said that they had an outlet in Cumberland, MD.

If I were filthy rich and had my 60X100 outbuilding with multiple lifts, I would add the soda blasting to my equipment for sure.

Art

Soda blasting is unexcelled at paint removal on a soft substrate like fiberglass, or greasy metal. We used to do a lot of forklifts and soda is the way to go with a grease buildup. It is worthless on a rusted part as it won't even lighten the metal. Aluminum oxide, or silicone carbide are best for removal of paint and rust to not ruin the surface when appropriately used. Plastic media does a good job of paint removal, but will destroy the finish on fiberglass and will not cut grease buildup. CO2 blasting does great paint removal and you don't even need to mask glass as it won't hurt it unless you dwell in an area. It then either explodes, implodes, or cracks, (if laminated).

Used and performed all these processes through the years and they all have there benefits, and detractors. Media blasting is best done indoors with good lighting and recycle capability to keep the cost in check. You cannot reclaim soda however.

Rob