Bought A Truck, Now What.......

tyrant

The truck is a 1980 RD686sx with a 4,000 Gal Vacuum tank.

The truck is located 250 or so miles from my home. I have talked with our DMV about a trip permit.

I have a book on tranny shift patterns and how to locate engine/tranny ID tags. Gonna pack some diesel fuel treatment, jumper cables, big fire ext. and couple bags of tools.

I'm going to check out safety and runability items first. (brakes,tires,signals....) Basically what I can remember of the DOT walkthrough.

Hoping you'all will chime in on different things to look at before I attempt to drive her 250 miles home.

Thanks,

Norm

Congratulations! If you aren't too familiar with trucks, you may want to locate a truck dealer in the area and see if they'll give it a once over for you. The main thing is tires, brakes and lights. Safety first!

Keep us posted!

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

The truck is located 250 or so miles from my home. I have talked with our DMV about a trip permit.

I have a book on tranny shift patterns and how to locate engine/tranny ID tags. Gonna pack some diesel fuel treatment, jumper cables, big fire ext. and couple bags of tools.

I'm going to check out safety and runability items first. (brakes,tires,signals....) Basically what I can remember of the DOT walkthrough.

Hoping you'all will chime in on different things to look at before I attempt to drive her 250 miles home.

Thanks,

Norm

congradulations,on your purchase..bob,do you know how long its been sitting?

Thanks,

Norm

What is next you ask..............DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!!!

mike :thumb:

Thanks for the replies,

The Mack was just drove 75 miles for a job. Operator said it was loud and slow.... But runs good and the pump will suck your arm off.

The pumping business is not my only form of income, sucking poop will be a side job. Our neck of the woods is flooding also, so having a 4,000 Gal shop vac might be a service somebody might pay for.

Check on Insurance, will have it in hand.

If she makes it home I'm going to buy her some new stuff. ( Fingers crossed )

New air ride seat, gauges, heater, insulate cab, new hugeastic stack muffler, all new fluids and filters, flush the cooling system, Oh ya new belts too.

The tranny and rear ends and vacuum pump will get checked for level and possibly freshened up too.

Battery's, the tires are 24.5's so hopefully they are good for a year or so,, Halogen headlights, LED tail lights..... Hoses, valves, Crustbuster....

Whew that's allot of crap....