Connrecting Rod Bearings

Jocko

hey guys im about to change the connecting rod bearings in the 1959 mack end673,and i was wondering when i put the connecting rod bolts back in how pounds of tourch each bolt should have,

also heres an update of what my dash looks like now

150 ft/lbs.-oiled.

FW

When building my motors, I usually slip some feeler gages inbetween the rods to keep them tight and aligned on the journal. Keeps from cocking the cap or bearing when pulling on it with a torque wrench.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

When building my motors, I usually slip some feeler gages inbetween the rods to keep them tight and aligned on the journal. Keeps from cocking the cap or bearing when pulling on it with a torque wrench.

I'll have to agree Larry, thats the best way to get the clearance on any motor, is to use the gauges. Micrometers are a good thing to have also in your tool box. I'm so pickie about mine I keep them in the house away from the humidity. :blink:

mike

On a mack rod it is easy to burn the thrust side of the crank and rod if not done right. I aways snug up the rod bolts and then tap with a hammer the rod to one side withe cap and then you have all that is possible.Its best to replace the rod bolts on the later engines but the older rods i have not seen any problems with the bolts.

glenn akers

ok i think i have a problem,when i took the oil pan off of the truck to do the connecting rod bearings,one of the brass thrust bearings came off and was sitting in the oil pan.can someone tell me how this could happen and how i can fix it

ok i think i have a problem,when i took the oil pan off of the truck to do the connecting rod bearings,one of the brass thrust bearings came off and was sitting in the oil pan.can someone tell me how this could happen and how i can fix it

There should be a rivet or pin in the main cap that can wear out. If I remember it comes in the thrust bearing kit.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

what would i have to take out to get to that

You just need to get the #4 main cap down so you can get to the pins. There should be one on each side of the #4 main cap. Check the thrust surfaces on the crank and the block while you have it down.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

how much tourche goes on the brg caps

Jocko, One Hundred and Fifty foot pounds of Torque. Do you have a manual? If not, can someone post the torque specs. for Jocko? I would if I knew how. I don't have a scanner. I also borrow a computer at my g/f house.

Thanks

mike

ok thanks,i wasnt sure if it was the same as the connecting rod bolts,and also i dont have a manual,if someone could post the tourque specs that would be great

When I go home tonight i'll get my manuel, but it may be tomorrow night before I can post it. If I can get someone's help in posting.

mike

hey guys im about to change the connecting rod bearings in the 1959 mack end673,and i was wondering when i put the connecting rod bolts back in how pounds of tourch each bolt should have,

also heres an update of what my dash looks like now

Looking good!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.