New Use For Old Wheels

other dog

I had these two old steer tires laying around doing nothing, so I decided to put them to use. I filled them with miracle grow potting soil and planted 2 broccoli plants in each one. They're really growing too, got some ready to cut.

All the other wheels and tires are at the shop and i've been demounting them when I have time. Did 2 last week and 2 more yesterday while I was waiting for Jo to get there. The first 2 were a bear to get off, it took me, Jeffrey, Tom, the forklift, everything else we could find, and half a day. Yesterday was pretty easy, knocked out 2 by myself, with a little tire hammer help from Terry and lots of PB Blaster.

Got tomaters in these two, cucumbers and squash are planned for the next 2.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I used to build burning barrels out of those old 20" rims. I'd stack 4 or 5 of em and weld em together, spacing the valve holes 90 degrees apart sequentially from one rim to the next, to give the fire more "turbulence! The bottom rim needed about 4 torch cut holes to supply air too.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I used to build burning barrels out of those old 20" rims. I'd stack 4 or 5 of em and weld em together, spacing the valve holes 90 degrees apart sequentially from one rim to the next, to give the fire more "turbulence! The bottom rim needed about 4 torch cut holes to supply air too.

I've seen that done at a truck repair shop but never used. I imagine it would last a bit longer than a typical 55 gallon drum due to thickness which only last about a year around here. They would last longer if I cleaned them out ever!!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You might be a redneck if..................

...you don't take the tires off the wheels. The steer tires were here and I didn't have tire tools to demount them,so I have truck tires laying in the back yard equipped with anti rabbit protectors. I even hit the ones I took off with green spray paint so they match the grass, just so it wouldn't be redneck lookin'. Heck,I might even get rid of that engine i've had swinging from the tree in the front yard since 1997, and the upside down '93 Taurus too, to unredneckify things around here.

I'm gonna go cut some delicious broccoli right now, and have a delicious tomater sammich with lots of mayo in a couple of months...then you'll be wishin' you'd planted some tomatoes in a truck wheel-hah!

...you don't take the tires off the wheels. The steer tires were here and I didn't have tire tools to demount them,so I have truck tires laying in the back yard equipped with anti rabbit protectors. I even hit the ones I took off with green spray paint so they match the grass, just so it wouldn't be redneck lookin'. Heck,I might even get rid of that engine i've had swinging from the tree in the front yard since 1997, and the upside down '93 Taurus too, to unredneckify things around here.

I'm gonna go cut some delicious broccoli right now, and have a delicious tomater sammich with lots of mayo in a couple of months...then you'll be wishin' you'd planted some tomatoes in a truck wheel-hah!

That's right Tom, I'm just jealous. I've been pooting around the whole month of April just getting the dandelions, crabgrass, clover, etc. etc. killed out of my yard. Have spent over thousand dollars putting new Thuja Green Giants in the yard at differant places.

I know that i'm crazy, cause I killed the dandelions, may have to start eating them if the economy gets worse. :lol:

mike

That's right Tom, I'm just jealous. I've been pooting around the whole month of April just getting the dandelions, crabgrass, clover, etc. etc. killed out of my yard. Have spent over thousand dollars putting new Thuja Green Giants in the yard at differant places.

I know that i'm crazy, cause I killed the dandelions, may have to start eating them if the economy gets worse. :lol:

mike

Yeah, I don't plant nuthin' I cain't eat!

Mackmann thinks the wheels are redneck, the guy that lived 2 houses over from me when I lived in Appomattox used to plant tomatoes in an old bathtub in his yard-now that's redneck, but hey,whatever works,eh?

Wish I had taken a photo of it , but several years ago riding in a poker run on my bike the first object to post on our paper map was 2 lamp posts at the end of someones driveway. The objects were two 426 ci Hemi engines with valve covers installed. It has been engraved into my memory. Lamps were welded to each intake and stood up about 3 ft. tall.

mike