Shift Pattern?

whodunny

I will not be any help in answering your question, but this provides an excuse to tell a story about myself and shift patterns from about 50 years ago. A while ago I mentioned the "reversed" pattern on an LF 10-wheel dump with 5+2. Well, one day I was switched to a heavy A Series gas 6-wheeler, so I asked about the shift pattern on the way to the truck. I got the usual 1-2-3-4-5 with a quick wave of the hand and went off to the job. (The trucks were a bit rough and the data plates were always missing.) I could only get noise where 5th was supposed to be and spent the morning under 40 mph. Somebody finally told me that hole was reverse. I never found out if it was a mistake or a joke, but still think it would have been interesting if by some fluke it dropped in and I popped the clutch.

That video is cool i sat and watched it over and over and naturally my wife JUST DIDN'T GET IT !! I have 74 R685ST with 2 stick but I'm not sure number on tranny My 5 speeds are on the left shifter , Lo then i call high but probably direct . and reverse on the right hand shifter. still loved the video.

That video is cool i sat and watched it over and over and naturally my wife JUST DIDN'T GET IT !! I have 74 R685ST with 2 stick but I'm not sure number on tranny My 5 speeds are on the left shifter , Lo then i call high but probably direct . and reverse on the right hand shifter. still loved the video.

I bet you have a 2 stick 6 speed, you shift it like a 5 speed, you have a low-forward,dont know if you are to use all 5 gears in low, and 5 high gears, 5 reverse gears,someone else might be able to tell you if you can use all 5 speeds in low. Ron

sounds like a 2 stick 6 speed.

1,2,3,4,5 on the main box

low,direct,reverse onthe aux box

to use low......use 1st gear in the main box (left stick) with the axu box (right stick) in low. mack says to only use low with 1st gear, not shure why they dont want you to use 2nd 3rd etc... in low?

my self and many will use 1-2-3 in low to get some speed on a hill then shift the aux box(right stick) into direct. almost any time you need 1st-low it will be so slow that its difficult to grab direct as the truck will stop rolling before you can make the shift.

reverse is fun in 5th just watch those mirrors!:clap:

I've been shifting like that didn't know if that was right but seemed to work best . I have gotten some pretty funny looks when running in reverse and keep shifting ing reverse it's cool. This site is great for all the information and help definitly my favorite site on the net..

I had a old mechanic a few years back about that and he was told it wore on the bearings wrong, I don't know but I never had any problems. When I drive a 6 speed I shift starting in low 1,2,3,4,5,then hit high side get more speed. And when I hit a hill and only have to drop one gear I drop to low side on aux. shifter instead of on main shifter, cause you keep a little more momentumthat way . But everybody does not drive the same, just thought I drop some info on shifting a 6 speed.

KEEP THE BLACK SMOKE ROLLIN

• 11 months later...
I will not be any help in answering your question, but this provides an excuse to tell a story about myself and shift patterns from about 50 years ago. A while ago I mentioned the "reversed" pattern on an LF 10-wheel dump with 5+2. Well, one day I was switched to a heavy A Series gas 6-wheeler, so I asked about the shift pattern on the way to the truck. I got the usual 1-2-3-4-5 with a quick wave of the hand and went off to the job. (The trucks were a bit rough and the data plates were always missing.) I could only get noise where 5th was supposed to be and spent the morning under 40 mph. Somebody finally told me that hole was reverse. I never found out if it was a mistake or a joke, but still think it would have been interesting if by some fluke it dropped in and I popped the clutch.

The main tranny gets split by compound. 1st in main, lo, then direct, then OD, 2nd in main, lo, then direct, then OD, etc.

Pretty good Hippie,

Your the hottest thing going and your not even a truck driver, at least you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night!!!!! lol!

T.

sounds like a 2 stick 6 speed.

1,2,3,4,5 on the main box

low,direct,reverse onthe aux box

to use low......use 1st gear in the main box (left stick) with the axu box (right stick) in low. mack says to only use low with 1st gear, not shure why they dont want you to use 2nd 3rd etc... in low?

my self and many will use 1-2-3 in low to get some speed on a hill then shift the aux box(right stick) into direct. almost any time you need 1st-low it will be so slow that its difficult to grab direct as the truck will stop rolling before you can make the shift.

reverse is fun in 5th just watch those mirrors!:clap:

Trent i couldnt have explained it better brother :thumb:

& ya 5th rev is fun to watch the expression on drivers of non macks also ive got a lot of oh crap (censored) looks ;)

later

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude: