Oil Filters

Art Lawrence

I am on the hunt for oil filters for a 1948 707A and a 1954B motor. I had a couple of each, but my basement flooded and they were ruined. In my old age, I can't seem to remember the source. Both were in unlabeled Mack boxes, so I must have gotten them from someone here. If there are NAPA equivalents, I'd appreciate getting a SKU or similar reference number. The local NAPA is a car parts place only.

Also, if anyone hears of a C open cab truck in good condition that is likely to come on the market, please signal me.

Thanks,

Art

Art Lawrence

arthur.lawrence@firetruck.com

Gaithersburg, MD

I don't run an oil filter in my 47 ls85. The filter is not full flow. There is only a little tube feeding into it. I was unable to find them two years ago. Cal Little said it was not a concern since it will not be driven very far.

Mike

I am on the hunt for oil filters for a 1948 707A and a 1954B motor. I had a couple of each, but my basement flooded and they were ruined. In my old age, I can't seem to remember the source. Both were in unlabeled Mack boxes, so I must have gotten them from someone here. If there are NAPA equivalents, I'd appreciate getting a SKU or similar reference number. The local NAPA is a car parts place only.

Also, if anyone hears of a C open cab truck in good condition that is likely to come on the market, please signal me.

Thanks,

Art

Art,

If you go into this engine section, back to the date of August 24th 2005. You will find information regarding this 707A engine filters. I tried to find them for you also, and ran into the same difficulty as you. I hope that this topic will help you decide on your next move. The old filter # 236GB123A was a Mack # and CarQuest has a filter housing #89750 and Filter #85749 is the substitute for the original setup.

Good Luck in your exploration.

mike

• Like 1

Art

There were 2 filters for the 707, one was a sock type the other was a metal cartridge type, which was Napa 1237, which is no longer available, however I found that Napa 1503 is a close match and fits, so have been using that for the last 3 oil changes. I do have 1 sock type which I can sell if you need it.

Firemack

:SMOKIE-LFT:

Seems like oil filters for these old Mack trucks are some of America's best guarded secrets,huh?

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

Thanks to all responders (both meanings intended).

I'm going to see what might surface at Allentown, then will pursue suggestions posted here. I am thinking that nothing will show up at Allentown.

It seems that the comment about oil filters being closely guarded secrets is pretty on target. I called a friend who is a "Mack Oracle" and he had no answeres either. His suggestion (to be expected) was to simply get more old fire trucks that have modern END engines, and therefore reduce my worries by 50% becasue newer are available. Took me a little time, but his math was right. I have two trucks, I add two trucks; I now have four. Two of them have filters readily available, two of them don't. Therefore, I only have to worry about 50% of my trucks rather than 100%.

I will try that logic out on my wife tonight. Anyone want to make book on the response?

Thanks to all,

Art

Art Lawrence

arthur.lawrence@firetruck.com

Gaithersburg, MD

:SMOKIE-LFT:

I bought a NAPA filter (made by WIX) for my EN354 before I drove down to get it,and it didn't fit. I chalked it up to a mis-read part number. Took that filter to the main NAPA store in Reno;the parts man there verified that was the same number HE found,so either the book is wrong or my truck doesn't have the engine all my numbers say it has. I contacted the Hastings filter distributor here with the :mack1: filter number from my build sheet,and he couldn't find anything that it crossed to. SO-until I find something that fits and works,it runs fine without a filter. I'll just change the oil every third year.

Best of luck in your search!

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

It seems that the comment about oil filters being closely guarded secrets is pretty on target. I called a friend who is a "Mack Oracle" and he had no answeres either. His suggestion (to be expected) was to simply get more old fire trucks that have modern END engines, and therefore reduce my worries by 50% becasue newer are available. Took me a little time, but his math was right. I have two trucks, I add two trucks; I now have four. Two of them have filters readily available, two of them don't. Therefore, I only have to worry about 50% of my trucks rather than 100%.

I will try that logic out on my wife tonight. Anyone want to make book on the response?

If it works I want to hire you as a consultant to come convince my DW that I NEED at least two more trucks and a new building to store them in.

On a more serious note: Has anyone purchased filters from the vendor I listed here, Filter Mart? They list filters for my ENF510A as well as the numbers for other Macks. Supposedly they manufacture the filters.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I called a friend who is a "Mack Oracle" and he had no answeres either.

The one and only "Mack Oracle" you need to concern yourself with and ask about the filters is Harvey Eckert, who is always at Allentown selling books. I know I have pointed people to him before with parts inquiries.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS