Just An Every Day Working Truck

Joe Cummings

Backwards windshield wipers! Had an LTL9000 a few years back, cool truck. I like the 3 spoke steering wheels Ford used...looked like a race truck lol. Sterling IMHO is junk, they should have kept the old cab design. One of my favorite movies as a kid was Armed and Dangerous with John Candy when they plowed thru the traffic with the old Ford 9000 cab over. Driving one of the cab overs always felt weird due to the air ride set up they used...but still a cool truck, not many around any more.

Backwards windshield wipers! Had an LTL9000 a few years back, cool truck. I like the 3 spoke steering wheels Ford used...looked like a race truck lol. Sterling IMHO is junk, they should have kept the old cab design. One of my favorite movies as a kid was Armed and Dangerous with John Candy when they plowed thru the traffic with the old Ford 9000 cab over. Driving one of the cab overs always felt weird due to the air ride set up they used...but still a cool truck, not many around any more.

I had a neighbor in Jersey that drove an LTL-9000 (company truck) it was an 86-87 with a 425 B-model Cat,13 speed,with 3:35 rears! this thing would fly! he called it the "airplane" LOL! only problem he had with it was RUST,his company took it back to Ford,and they said it was a pretty common problem,as the cab could have been manufactured as early as 1967! and been sitting since then,same cab as all the "louisville" L-models. The last new truck he got was a CL-9000,really nice looking truck! only thing he did'nt like about it was the gray/orange "burlap" interior! but rode good,handled good ,even with the air-ride cab,that they were still working the "bugs" out of. You're right,i dont remember the last time i saw one on the road!...........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

This was the first truck I went to look at when I got serious about buying a truck:

l.jpg

I have always been a Ford guy...got a pair of Rangers ('86 & '92) and an F250 ('96)...not to mention the '47 8N.

Family has had a lot of Ford's too over the years... :thumb:

Too many electrical issues with that LTL-9000 though...NONE of the dash switches worked. The brake lights were the ONLY lights that worked. 475 Cat ran strong, but the jakes weren't working. Windshield wipers didn't work. :wacko:

Granted, there were a lot of unplugged things up under the dash...and a lot of those issues may have been solved by just figuring out what needed to be plugged into where....

...but I needed a truck I could put to work right away, couldn't afford to buy a "fixer-upper". :blink:

Wouldn't have had to buy any new hats if I had bought it, though...still have a lot of Ford Trucks hats. B)

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

The hoods always beat the snot out of the pivot hinges and busted the supporting plastic. I have one out back that looks perfect on the outside but is good for a section only as it's too far gone to work with structurally without really cutting into it. They used to be very popular around here.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

This is the truck my buddy ran,was an 86, 425 3406-B Cat,13 speed road-ranger,he ran one round a week from Avondale,PA to Grand island,NE hauling fresh mushrooms for the dominos pizza dist.center,and usually a load of cheese back east-bound. his family moved in across the street from us in 1987,and come to find out he had once rode team with my father back in the sixties,when they both drove for Armellini Express out of the Vineland,NJ terminal (now gone).....Mark

post-5836-0-90398800-1298688517_thumb.jp

This is the truck my buddy ran,was an 86, 425 3406-B Cat,13 speed road-ranger,he ran one round a week from Avondale,PA to Grand island,NE hauling fresh mushrooms for the dominos pizza dist.center,and usually a load of cheese back east-bound. his family moved in across the street from us in 1987,and come to find out he had once rode team with my father back in the sixties,when they both drove for Armellini Epressx out of the Vineland,NJ terminal (now gone).....Mark

I guess you're not tough enough to haul flowers,huh?

Armellini's HQ is 10 minutes from here

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Nah,Armellini is all "team" operation,if i'm gonna get greased,i'm gonna do it myself! LOL!....my dad worked there in the sixties,started out on a IH emeryville,then got a brand new F-model,they were real proud of these,cause they were the very first trucks in the fleet with factory installed AC! old kysor roof-mount,Pop said that sumbitch would freeze you out of the cab1 and give you an earache,blowing right in your ear while driving! In 1966,pay for the first (senior) driver for a round trip from Jersey to FL was $60.00! $45.00 for second driver! (plus $5.00 eating/expense money each!) air-mail to FL,then flowers back up north with 20-30 stops on the way back! the round trip sometimes took 2 weeks!.........Mark

post-5836-0-50035500-1298732116_thumb.jp

Nah,Armellini is all "team" operation,if i'm gonna get greased,i'm gonna do it myself! LOL!....my dad worked there in the sixties,started out on a IH emeryville,then got a brand new F-model,they were real proud of these,cause they were the very first trucks in the fleet with factory installed AC! old kysor roof-mount,Pop said that sumbitch would freeze you out of the cab1 and give you an earache,blowing right in your ear while driving! In 1966,pay for the first (senior) driver for a round trip from Jersey to FL was $60.00! $45.00 for second driver! (plus $5.00 eating/expense money each!) air-mail to FL,then flowers back up north with 20-30 stops on the way back! the round trip sometimes took 2 weeks!.........Mark

I love the kysor roof tops, I have 2 NOS brandy new units in storage...cant wait to hook them up one of these days, they are 13500 BTU'S enough to cool a living room. They will freeze you out, and yes stiff necks and ear aches are the only downfall, but no sweat! Work best when filled with R-12, but 134A will do the trick :thumb:

:SMOKIE-LFT:

If you're putting 'em in your own trucks,it might be worth building some ducting to redirect the cold air,maybe down the back of the cab or something. :thumb: You can sometimes find that kind of duct and vents at RV places or RV wrecking yards.

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>