What should the normal running temp be on a END673 engine? I have a 1958 B61 and let it run today for over an hour at 1500 RPM and the temp gauge only went to the first line past the 100 mark. I am assuming that this is the 100 degree mark. The whole time the engine was running the shutters were closed tight and I was not getting any heat from the defrosters. I am thinking that I need a new thermostat. What is the proper temp setting for the thermostat or is there something else I should look at.

Thanks.

Denny

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

What should the normal running temp be on a END673 engine? I have a 1958 B61 and let it run today for over an hour at 1500 RPM and the temp gauge only went to the first line past the 100 mark. I am assuming that this is the 100 degree mark. The whole time the engine was running the shutters were closed tight and I was not getting any heat from the defrosters. I am thinking that I need a new thermostat. What is the proper temp setting for the thermostat or is there something else I should look at.

Thanks.

Denny

It prolly doesn't have a thermostat. I like cardboard in front of the radiator but you need to be careful and watch the temp. They seldom warm up at idle in the winter. You would need to load the engine down to generate heat into the cab.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Loaded up and pulling in winter, mine will run around 180, and in hard pulls might do 185 or 190. I would guess its a 180 thermostat, it has shutters also. It wont get very warm, even cranked and left idling in winter, shutters wont ever open just idling. randyp

Thanks for the replies. I can't take the truck out for a hard drive since my generator isn't generating and the truck will stall from dead batteries after about a 30 min run. Still working on that problem. I ran it today at 1500 RPM for an hour, with battery charger attached, thinking that it should heat up in that time frame. Maybe that was not enough time in 12 degree temps.

Are there two motors for the heating system - one for heater and one for defrosters? When I pull the defroster switch I can hear a motor running but when I look in the heater box on the passenger side the fan motor in there is not turning with the heater switch on.

When it warms up, I will pull the thermostat and replace it with a 180 degree one and see what happens. I could feel engine heat radiating from the firewall but no other heat from the heater. It is just too cold to start tearing things apart and working on it.

Denny

Denny

330-550-6020

Thanks for the replies. I can't take the truck out for a hard drive since my generator isn't generating and the truck will stall from dead batteries after about a 30 min run. Still working on that problem. I ran it today at 1500 RPM for an hour, with battery charger attached, thinking that it should heat up in that time frame. Maybe that was not enough time in 12 degree temps.

Are there two motors for the heating system - one for heater and one for defrosters? When I pull the defroster switch I can hear a motor running but when I look in the heater box on the passenger side the fan motor in there is not turning with the heater switch on.

When it warms up, I will pull the thermostat and replace it with a 180 degree one and see what happens. I could feel engine heat radiating from the firewall but no other heat from the heater. It is just too cold to start tearing things apart and working on it.

Denny

That diesel does not need an electrical source to keep running. If it is stalling there is another problem. If the engine is stalling at a common time each time, change your fuel filters. I've seen them pull sludge and grime up from the tanks that plugs filters when running. When not running the heavier components of the "dirt" fall from the media and the fuel can flow once more.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob

When it stalled I was coming to a stop for a traffic light or making a sharp right turn. It was my fault. But the engine would not turn over due to batteries. Jump batteries and started right up. I need more seat time for shifting experience.

Denny

Denny

330-550-6020

Denny, if it is generator equipped, unlatch brush cover on rear of generator and spray lectra clean and run commutator cleaner stick against commutator while engine is running. It could be brushes stuck or commutator dirty. I have to do mine that way every now and then as power steering pump is mounted behind generator and leaks just a tiny bit, soiling commutator. I do agree with Rob, dead batteries wouldnt stall that engine, just make it a pain when it does stall. randyp

My generator problem is solved. I pulled the generator and took it to a local electrical shop for testing. They cleaned it and then tested it and said it was good. I reinstalled it thinking that I had some other problem, started the truck and the amp gauge was showing around 30 at 1500 RPM with all the lights and heater on. Thanks for all the help on this issue. Now on to my next item - getting heat in the truck.

The heavy paper/cardboard defroster diffuser is shot. What little warm air I am getting is being dumped into the dash and never reaches the windshield. What have others used to replace this unit? Where can I find a replacement?

Denny

Denny

330-550-6020