What Makes A Tractor "hop" When Starting:

Rob

I've heard and seen many people use different things to get a cold, or problematic engine started. I've never had a problem with ether but don't use a lot. It's always best to have the engine cranking prior to the injection of a starting aid and use just enough to do the job. The folks that like a 30 second squirt are begging for trouble, especially with a diesel.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Never heard of that,that's good to know. I've sprayed wd-40 in a chain saw carb. to get it started.

Yeah Tom, Ive used WD-40 in diesel engines too, it will work, doesnt seem to be as good as silicone lube. Ether was banned in the coal mines years ago, maintenance blamed too many engine problems on it, They bought cases and cases of silicone, thats all they would use. It seems to be more gentle on engines, and you can hear engine start spinning faster as lube hits it. I dont know bout extreme cold though, our low here may be in mid teens for usually only a week or so then mostly in mid 20s. randyp

I have used WD40. Always had to remove the fileters tho. It works almost as good as either if you can get it to mist. Either in low doses works good. to much and it knocks way to hard. What I like to do with either on a hard starting engine is to spray it into the air system after the filter. Jump in the truck and crank the engine with the throttel stop out. as soon as the either lites push in the throttel stop and most times the engine will catch. This way you dont get a huge spray of either and fuel at the same time. I have found that if you flood the cold engine with fuel and either it wont want to lite. and if you over fuel and spray it..... when it does lite it takes off reving way to fast.

I've heard and seen many people use different things to get a cold, or problematic engine started. I've never had a problem with ether but don't use a lot. It's always best to have the engine cranking prior to the injection of a starting aid and use just enough to do the job. The folks that like a 30 second squirt are begging for trouble, especially with a diesel.

Rob

I never had any real need for starting aids, ether etc. with a "modern" engine,thing that bothers me the most now is seeing "newbies" fire-up a "cold" engine,and just run it up right away! hammering,banging,bucking! makes me cringe! had i done this to one of Pop's trucks growing up,i prolly woyld'nt be here to relate this story!.....firm believer in a a good "warm-up"....hell,i've seen guys spray an entire can of ether in a truck trying to start it all in one shot!.........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

yea the new electronic engines seam to start very easy in cold weather. So long as they still have good compression. The company 3406E has always started here in this cold chicago winter weather. I plug it in when I know I need to start it but some times we just need it moved and she always fires after no more than 5 sec of cranking. I fired up a superliner with E9 this morning and was suprised she took off running smooth after just 3-4 sec or cranking. the engine was rebuilt recently tho...

I never had any real need for starting aids, ether etc. with a "modern" engine,thing that bothers me the most now is seeing "newbies" fire-up a "cold" engine,and just run it up right away! hammering,banging,bucking! makes me cringe! had i done this to one of Pop's trucks growing up,i prolly woyld'nt be here to relate this story!.....firm believer in a a good "warm-up"....hell,i've seen guys spray an entire can of ether in a truck trying to start it all in one shot!.........Mark

I was at Thurston Metals in Lynchburg one cold morning to unload years ago and the driver of one of their 2 trucks came out and started his truck, an F-model V8 Mack. As soon as it started he had it pretty much wide open and about 3 seconds later there went the oil filter rolling out from under it and across the parking lot.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I never had any real need for starting aids, ether etc. with a "modern" engine,thing that bothers me the most now is seeing "newbies" fire-up a "cold" engine,and just run it up right away! hammering,banging,bucking! makes me cringe! Mark

I've got people at the ambulance company that do that still,,start it up,drop it in drive,and floor it. They then complain because they are sitting on the side of the road cause it won't go above 35mph. First thing I ask is "how long did it warm up?". Typical answer is "well,it was sitting in the heated garage". The garage is heated but with the doors constantly in motion it stays in the 50's inside. People beat on these trucks then complain that they are junk,,,duh,,I wonder why.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

I was at Thurston Metals in Lynchburg one cold morning to unload years ago and the driver of one of their 2 trucks came out and started his truck, an F-model V8 Mack. As soon as it started he had it pretty much wide open and about 3 seconds later there went the oil filter rolling out from under it and across the parking lot.

The one i'm talking about was an old schnieder truck,that cabover IH with the set back steer axle,looked like it has been sitting for a while,i had just woke up,poked my head out of the bunk just in time to see this guy standing on the frame, sprayed a WHOLE CAN of ether in the air intake,climbed down,got in the truck and started cranking! it cranked for a few seconds then BAMMM!!!!! piece of one of the connecting rods was laying on the ground when i went inside for coffee,the guy asked me if i knew anything about trucks when i walked by,and if the part was "important" i said "yeah kinda!" smiled and walked on in!........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.