Stupid Me....

Lmackattack

Last few evenings after work I have spent at the yard redoing the interior of a friends Mack Superliner. Got a nice warm bay to pull it into to work on so its esay. Last night I had Removed all the Door handels, interior panels,headliner rear wall etc... put them in the corner of the shop so I dont louse them. Night was over cleand all the tools up and got her ready to park outside. I Jump in the truck,start it up and back her out. Park her in its spot, set the brake,turn the key to off,pull the throttle stop and kill the big v8. Great. Reach for the door handel..oh um its not there.......... and neither is the other side. oh..*&^%... no window crank hanels either? Ok. vent windows open! crap.... my fat arm can reach the out side door button!!! OK So im sitting there for a min thinking how in the hell did I just do this to myself. look on the floor for anything that I can use to turn the square door handel stub. Nothing, Try and open it with my hand un my pants pocket, nope the keys and tried to sandwich the stub and turn it, nope. So Ireach in my pocket to get my phone to call for help. fumbeling in my pockets I pull out a phone,dollar bill,some change and a 3/8 open end wrench that I mistakenly took home from work. Guess what. that 3/8 wrench fit the square door handel stub like a glove. turn it and Im free! I get out looking to the sky. "THANKS DAD! or whoever told me to take that wrench home".

I have locked my self out many of times but never in! Guess there is a first for everthing!

Sounds like one of those "WTF" moments LOL!!! Where you just can't figure out how the hell you screwed things up that bad with such little work???

Back when I moved into new place, the garage caught me off guard one night. It's winter, night, cold, snowy and I go to the garage to work. Lock the house, since it's across the lot and I don't trust anyone(though it's a nice neighborhood). I had to leave garage for moment, opened door and walked out and door shut behind me. Seems one of the hinges was spring loaded to close door AND I forgot to turn the lock on the inside of the door handle so I was locked out of garage AND house with no coat, no keys, no cellphone, nadda-nut'n. Dammit!! Had to jimmy one of the garage doors to finally get myself back inside. Geezus, what was I thinking?

I've since removed that stupid spring hinge so door won't close and I ALWAYS check the lock before leaving!!! I also have a hidden spare key that I've had to use a couple times in the last few years due to stupidity on my part.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

It happens! LOL! i stopped for fuel one night,right after i first got my truck,had to "pee" pretty bad,was gonna run in and take care of that first,when i jumped out,i accidentaly hit the power door lock (un-beknownst to me) came back out,trucks running mind you,DAMN! my keys are in my jacket pocket on the back of the pass. seat,and its about 5 degrees out! had to borrow some tools to take the "peep"window out of the pass. side door,and of course its too cold to put it back in with the gasket being so stiff! long story short,now theres an extra key zip tied to the firewall!......Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

From 1984-1996 I drove my trusty 1970 F100 pickup. I loved it as you COULDN'T lock yourself out as you HAD to use the key on the outside to lock it. I called it "dummy broad proof" back in the day. Well, up to the last few months before I got my new '96 F350 the door locks were a bit worn out. If you shut the door too hard, it would drop the knob and lock on you. Not a big issue UNLESS the key was in the ignition. One day at work I was backing inside the shop to pickup something up so I could deliver it on the way home. I got out(truck running) to open the door and "ooops" the door locked! dammit. I had to wrangle up a coat hanger(lots of those since we have uniform service) and wiggle the vent window open. Lucky my go-go gadget arms were long enough to reach the lock.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

you guys should get a kick ot of this story.....back in the 60's a friend of mine used to haul pigs from PA to the midwest with his dad an there cab over pete, well russ's dad pulls over to run across the h-way to get a coffee in the diner, russ gets out of the sleeper bunk to take a leak (about 12 outside) no jacket just his shirt, do i need to tell you the rest ? yep his dad jumps in the truck an drives all the way to IL with no russ!!

• Like 1

you guys should get a kick ot of this story.....back in the 60's a friend of mine used to haul pigs from PA to the midwest with his dad an there cab over pete, well russ's dad pulls over to run across the h-way to get a coffee in the diner, russ gets out of the sleeper bunk to take a leak (about 12 outside) no jacket just his shirt, do i need to tell you the rest ? yep his dad jumps in the truck an drives all the way to IL with no russ!!

heh heh,,now thas a winner there Ernie!!!! randyp :clap:

It happens! LOL! i stopped for fuel one night,right after i first got my truck,had to "pee" pretty bad,was gonna run in and take care of that first,when i jumped out,i accidentaly hit the power door lock (un-beknownst to me) came back out,trucks running mind you,DAMN! my keys are in my jacket pocket on the back of the pass. seat,and its about 5 degrees out! had to borrow some tools to take the "peep"window out of the pass. side door,and of course its too cold to put it back in with the gasket being so stiff! long story short,now theres an extra key zip tied to the firewall!......Mark

I have always had a few sets of keys. Each of my vehicles has their own key ring that ONLY has keys to that vehicle....no house key, no "extra" keys...only that vehicle. That's the key ring that goes in the ignition (I hate having a million keys hanging out of the steering column). I've got a second set of keys...used to be in a key ring on my belt...now it's in another little thingamajigger that holds 'em real nice in my shirt pocket...anyway, that's got a key to every lock for everything I own...every vehicle, both houses, and even my parent's house.

Anyway, one day, I was needing to run into town before the post office closed, so I jump on the bike and away I go. When I got home, I reached for the set of keys that was SUPPOSED to be on my belt...but it wasn't there. I was locked out, and ended up having to break into my own home. Luckily it was BEFORE I acquired my gut, so I still fit through the doggie door that the previous owner had out there in the garage. I doubt I could squeeze through there anymore. :pat:

When I got inside, I figured I'll NEVER leave the house without my boots on, so I've got a spare keys on a few different pairs of boots. I have a house key and a 3rd key to the Mack on my work boots. I've got a house key and a 3rd key to the F250 on the pair of boots I usually wear when I'm out & about in that truck. I figure even if I lose the keys I use in the ignition, I've STILL got 2 vehicle keys and 2 house keys....and if I forgot the keys I keep in my shirt pocket, I've still got the ones on my boots. I think I might even have a couple other pairs of boots that have a house key on 'em...I hate being locked out. :blink:

I don't like hiding keys on the vehicle. If someone happens to see you put 'em there or stumbles across 'em, they have full access to your truck. :(

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!