Gmc General Good Or Bad?

Jwinter

Hello, I have been reading topics on this site for the past year and have learned a lot. Theres some very knowledgeable people posting. I need to buy a tri axle log truck to compliment my logging business and I'm going to look at an '86 GMC 5 Star General later in the week. What are people's general perceptions concerning these trucks? Good points/Bad points? Noteworthy things to look for (other than basic stuff)? My wallet limits me to the mid 80's to early 90's era. My first choice would be an R or Superliner with a 350/12 speed, 18/50K but have not spotted one yet. Responses greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Hello, I have been reading topics on this site for the past year and have learned a lot. Theres some very knowledgeable people posting. I need to buy a tri axle log truck to compliment my logging business and I'm going to look at an '86 GMC 5 Star General later in the week. What are people's general perceptions concerning these trucks? Good points/Bad points? Noteworthy things to look for (other than basic stuff)? My wallet limits me to the mid 80's to early 90's era. My first choice would be an R or Superliner with a 350/12 speed, 18/50K but have not spotted one yet. Responses greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Personally, I would not log with anything but Mack, strictly because its the finest, toughest offroad or rough terrain rear end in the world! It keeps the power to the ground. Thats just my 2 cents, but i would look hard for a Mack. randyp :mack1::SMOKIE-LFT:

Personally,i would continue my search for a more suitable truck for this type endeavor,i mean when's the last time you saw another General? parts availability has to factor in,replacement parts for a GMC general specific are damn near non-existant anymore. What are the specs.? is this truck set up for this type work,or is it a converted OTR tractor? IE: Air-ride,aluminum frame,trans.,engine etc. Even in your comfort zone(price/agewise) my thinking is something a little more current may be a better choice, although it is hard for me to recommend anything but a Mack, IH does come to mind as far as parts availabilty/service, even a heavier duty L-series Ford in my opinion would be a better choice as they literally made thousands of them! while a General is a fairly rare bird these days! I am a firn believer in the right truck for the job,and keep in mind this is just my considered opinion,there may be others that disagree. Hope this is of some help!..................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Personally,i would continue my search for a more suitable truck for this type endeavor,i mean when's the last time you saw another General? parts availability has to factor in,replacement parts for a GMC general specific are damn near non-existant anymore. What are the specs.? is this truck set up for this type work,or is it a converted OTR tractor? IE: Air-ride,aluminum frame,trans.,engine etc. Even in your comfort zone(price/agewise) my thinking is something a little more current may be a better choice, although it is hard for me to recommend anything but a Mack, IH does come to mind as far as parts availabilty/service, even a heavier duty L-series Ford in my opinion would be a better choice as they literally made thousands of them! while a General is a fairly rare bird these days! I am a firn believer in the right truck for the job,and keep in mind this is just my considered opinion,there may be others that disagree. Hope this is of some help!..................Mark

You hit the nail on the head on the rarity of Generals on the road these days! The truck has an 18 front 46 rears, 13 speed and a 400 cat. They were popular in my area ( New England)years ago, Kelton Motors sold many, but parts are a worry for sure. Like I said It's not my first choice but it's got a newer loader and log body on it.

There is a Chevy couterpart to the General that runs around here working/hauling asphalt in the warmer months. It was a road tractor before being converted to an end dump. This thing is a rag as far as interior quality. Seems like a bloated 3/4 ton rusted Chevy from the 70's. Too much broken plastic all over for my liking. At least with an R model Mack, parts to repair are plentiful. This Chevy, although the 350 Cummins and RT-9513 run well, it is difficult to get specialty parts for. This one is on Reyco four spring and probably a 225" wheelbase or so.

In all fairness this truck sees a lot of different drivers now where it was owner/operator driven in an earlier life.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

"There is a Chevy couterpart to the General that runs around here working/hauling asphalt in the warmer months"

Would that be a "Bison"?

I can't remember if it is "Bison", or "Titan". There are both from different people around here.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I think the Titan was the COE Chevy version of the Astro.

Yes, that is the way I remember it now also.

Thanks,

Rob

Aint no 2 ways bout it Rob, your gonna have to lay off that bear a while, let some of the blood get back to your brain,,,randyp :pat:

I've been laying off the bear for much too long cause YOU fail to return here. I'm going delirious here, sweating profusely, shaking violently to the point of seizure, constantly chilled, erratic rashes breaking out about my "scar tissure", etc.

Whodathunk withdrawl symptoms could be so severe????

I don't deserve this; I'm begging you: Please bring back my bear!!

Rob

Thats quite right, Titan 90,was the chevrolet equivenlent of the GMC Astro 95, Bison was the chevy branded version of the GMC General, next in line was the lighter duty GMC brigadier, the lighter chevy version was called the bruin (like the bear)............Mark

I remember the Astro,,you could see the drivers knees through the windshield. Drivers liked it because it was like driving a picture window and you could stop inches behind someone. The fear was flying out the windshield if you hit something.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

LOL! know what you mean! i drove an Astro early in my career,it was actually a pretty good truck,formula 300 cummins,9 spd. single axle,REALLY good visibility,turning radius etc. Only thing i did'nt care for was the "wrap around" dashboard,made it really difficult to get in/out of the sleeper,takes some practice to learn how to get dressed laying down!..............Mark

I've been laying off the bear for much too long cause YOU fail to return here. I'm going delirious here, sweating profusely, shaking violently to the point of seizure, constantly chilled, erratic rashes breaking out about my "scar tissure", etc.

Whodathunk withdrawl symptoms could be so severe????

I don't deserve this; I'm begging you: Please bring back my bear!!

Rob

heh heh Awww hell, just take matters into your own hands,,,randyp

heh heh Awww hell, just take matters into your own hands,,,randyp

I have bursitis in the elbows, rheumatoid arthritis in the fingers, carpal tunnel syndrom in the wrists, a slipped third lower lumbar, plus I've got gas from eating too many berries. Only an encounter with my "girl" will hasten my relief.

Please bring her back. A female that's "bear ass naked" never hurt nobody. I only let you borrow her because she was "begging for mercy" every time we got to see each other.

Rob

LOL! know what you mean! i drove an Astro early in my career,it was actually a pretty good truck,formula 300 cummins,9 spd. single axle,REALLY good visibility,turning radius etc. Only thing i did'nt care for was the "wrap around" dashboard,made it really difficult to get in/out of the sleeper,takes some practice to learn how to get dressed laying down!..............Mark

The truck I liked driving best,of the few I drove, was the Ford L series. Tall windshield, nice seating position, kinda low and angled nice dashboard, and the way the dash was low it didn't block your view over the hood. It had a Cat engine with an 8 speed. Nice design for someone like me who prefers a tall "sit-up" driving position. An R model is about the same but I only have about 1 day of wheel time in an R. It is an older one with a 237 turned up and a 5 speed. :thumb:

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

The truck I liked driving best,of the few I drove, was the Ford L series. Tall windshield, nice seating position, kinda low and angled nice dashboard, and the way the dash was low it didn't block your view over the hood. It had a Cat engine with an 8 speed. Nice design for someone like me who prefers a tall "sit-up" driving position. An R model is about the same but I only have about 1 day of wheel time in an R. It is an older one with a 237 turned up and a 5 speed. :thumb:

I liked the Ford "L" series cause your legs hung comfortable at the pedals and the steering wheel is relatively flat as is an "R" model Mack which is the superior truck of the two.

Rob