Mack Rd Legend

• 5 weeks later...

Ok..I know I am late on this but I have to add this on the Granite cab size. I am 6'5 and I can say that every Mack I have owned or driven with the exception of the Granite I had sat in a slightly sideways position. All of my R's and DM's..when I replace the seat I redrill the mounting plate and move the seat 2 inches closer to the door. Sounds weird yes..but when ya spend a minimum of 12 hours a day in it squirming and trying to get comfy you will absolutely love the cab of the Granite...which I do.

If you have long legs in a Mack you will be sitting with your knees pointing towards the door. This position does NOT do your back any favors. The Granite is a dream from driver comfort standpoint. THATS why it was an instant success.

You guys have sharp eyes, catching those tube type rims on the legend!

I doubt that Mack or anyone else offers tube type tires anymore, and certainly not with split rims. Thusly I suspect that Mack factory tow truck was built from a glider, or perhaps from a test mule or truck damaged in production or delivery that couldn't be sold.

On second thought, tube type tires on big 24 inch wheels aren't totally obsolete, and I confused lock rings with split rims. I guess I've been spoiled by tubeless tires for too long!

None the less, another possible explenation is that this truck is an older RD with a new style RD hood. Then again, it may be a whole collection of whatever surplus parts were laying around the factory... but it's still a thoroughbred Bulldog!

BTW, used RDs seem to be going for premium prices...

Legend tractor thats 1st 1 ive seen all other have been dumps w/ alcoas 1st legend ive seen w/ Daytons & tube type tires on that late a model truck i thought tube type tire went out round the 80's as a option on a truck :blink:

i knew they were still on container chasis but not any late trucks

Live & learn i guess ;)

Bulldog (or :mack1:)

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That RD Legend tow truck is an RD688SX. The tires are larger than 24.5 tubeless. Remember, the tube equivalent of an 11R24.5 is a 10R22. the SX models were geared towards more off-road use or 50/50 such as coal mining and logging apps. The 65K rears are correct.

Also, the cab lights and air cleaner strap rubber are both 2002 or later RD production. We had one of these first last generation RD's. It was an RD690s vin 033790 built 4/26/01. Mack changed the dash gauges, switches, round clearance light option and went to an air cleaner strap rubber that only had an upper lip. The strap change was to prevent corrosion from moisture getting caught between the lower lip and the strap.

Dan Bruno

St. Louis , MO

www.stlouisdumptrucks.com

There are plenty of guys here in nj still getting 24" tube rubber on their heavy spec tandems. Nothing like 11.00r24s in the dirt on a tandem dump. New york city still gets 12.00r24 on alot of their new trucks. there was a new granite on the plant tour last sat that had 24" rubber. it also had a unimax front axle with spoke wheels. i was in love.

There are plenty of guys here in nj still getting 24" tube rubber on their heavy spec tandems. Nothing like 11.00r24s in the dirt on a tandem dump. New york city still gets 12.00r24 on alot of their new trucks. there was a new granite on the plant tour last sat that had 24" rubber. it also had a unimax front axle with spoke wheels. i was in love.

I heard NYC gets spoke wheels because they are less likely to get stolen.

I'M IN NORTHEAST PA [HAZLETON], I'VE SEEN ONE LEGEND, GREEN TRI-AXLE DUMP. SEEMS GREEN AND RED WERE POPULAR COLORS. ANYONE SEEN OTHER COLORS? :mack1::thumb:

I'm also in Northeast PA (Tunkhannock), I've see 3 Red Tri Axle Dumps, and one Green Rolloff. On the net, I've seen red, black, green, and magenta with grey. You can see them in my Legend Album (http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?automodule=gallery&req=si&img=1575).

The unimax front axle with spoke rims, was that the one with the really wierd looking front spoke rim? I saw a lime green Granite at the plant on that Sat. that had a strange front spoke rim, I took a pic and its posted below. The window tag said "BOGIE DUMP"

gallery_942_220_11258.jpg

that was it, 24" rubber and spoke unimax front axle. The wheel bearings do not come apart and mack says they should last a million miles without service. It is easy to service the brakes on a hub piloted axle but not with spokes. This was the first spoke unimax axle ive seen so it must have just come out. It looks like the spokes and brake drum unbolt for service leaving the wheel bearings intact off of a inner flange. pretty cool

Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage of spoke rims? And are the still as "dangerous" as they used to be? Most companies I've seen have switched to hub-piloted, such as Penndot, they used to be all spoke, now they are all disc. It also seems Mack is one of the few companies that still offerers spoke rims in large quantities.

Also, are budd wheels still made? If so, what is their advantage? It seems silly to have a wheel design that requires you to take the studs off just to get the brake drum off.

Spoke wheels are much more rugged than steel budd rims. Steel budd wheels tend to crack and break after a while. I have seen spoke hubs crack , but I have never done it myself. The only advantage of budd wheels I see is easier changing and the tires run true, get better milage out of them before replacing.

• 2 months later...
In regards to why Mack stopped production of the RD/RB.

1st off, don't get me wrong. I have never been happy with Volvo aquiring Mack, nor was I happy when Renault owned them.

I believe that the real reason that the RD/RB was replaced with the CV was the result of about 4 different things.

a) Although it worked very well, the design had run its course. Almost 40 years and 4 decades.

B) Gov't intervention to protect us from ourselves with required safety up-grades that probably could not be put into the platform, new requirements for engine emissions that result in redesigned engine compartments, and the such.

c) Future drivers. Humans are getting larger with each suceeding generation. There was only so much room in the R cab. And humans are getting lazy. There is a need for a platform that can adapt to future drivers who grew up playing with Playstation and X box, as opposed to us who grew up playing outside, with our friends, getting exercise and developing stamina to actually work.

d) The biggest thing that killed the R platform........ Typically a "truck guy" no longer buys the trucks. A "bean counter" does. He doesn't care about longevity of the units that he buys, only the bottom dollar.

just my .02 worth.

T.

The same age run can go with the other trucks. Take for example KW trucks wich have the same cab design for almost 40 years now. The R series cab and front end could be updated if they wanted to do so.

I agree with you on what you say about us playing outside. Those kids of today will not leave their Playstation X-Box or PC's just to work hard like us.

RD was out to give new space to the Granite, Granite Axle Back, Pinnacle, Vision and all Mack new models.

Too bad to see the ol' reliable gone...