Ifta And Other Numbers:

Rob

Rob,

I spoke to Art that does all of John Haines restorations, and he sets up John's antique B61 to haul the antiques to Macungie and Lititz. I asked him how I should register my MH612 to haul the B75. He told me that legally the anique tractor is not to haul any load (antiques or not), however just as what most guys have said here - that the PA State Police are not after the trucks with antique plates as they know they are only used on weekends etc, and if you have your CDL and proper paperwork I don't expect you will have any problems here in PA, especially because it's a MACK!

Sorry you won't be passing down this way you could stop in for some of the famous PA roadkill at the local roadkill cafe, but make sure to have a PA Yeungling beer when you stop in PA.

Firemack

Rob, I'm not sure what route you are going, but if you are coming through Vermont and want a passenger from there to Manchester let me know. I know the route well and have even been to Josephs once(although I can't remember exactly what road it is on.) If I can be any help let me know.

Got the R model licensed and insured today. Nice to have the hurdle surmounted. Tomorrow I should get to do a bit of a "shakedown" cruise in the truck. I'm planning to borrow a friends semi trailer to pull around for a bit to ensure everything on this truck works properly. I know the glad hands work as I've checked them for proper function. I don't know about the electrical plug and will probably check it at the shop before trying to power up the trailer.

Last evening I shot all 37 chassis and brake fittings full of grease. Yes, there were 37 of those damned things front to rear. Almost everything that moves can be lubricated on this truck. Guess that's a good thing however. I was pleasantly surprise to not find a single greased joint in the suspension loose. I think the truck has been taken care of well for it's age. Did notice however the brakes and drums are getting thin at all corners. The drums all have a considerable ridge worn into the friction surface. This is going to be expensive to bring up to snuff but, the work needs done.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Well, I have to postpone the trip. I had the state police out to the shop today to give me a complementary DOT inspection of the truck. It will not pass as the front brake shoes need to be at least 1/4" lining thickness and mine are just under 3/16ths. They are shot. The drums need replaced also so I'm in preparation to be rather sore over the next few days as I round up new parts. Because of this I did open up a bid opportunity on uship.com for someone to haul this and I do have a piece of return freight to go back to Pennsylvania if someone is interested. You would need a long stepdeck as the sawmill equipment is about 10' tall and 40' long. It is 8 feet wide. The trailer can be loaded and unloaded on another trailer at both ends easily.

I knew the rears were getting thin as there are no backing plates on the axles. The fronts I really couldn't see that good but the cop had a special little gauge that easily read them when stuck through the slot of the backing plates of the steer axle.

Real nice people when they are not enforcing something.

Amazing how helpful they can be sometimes. We spent some time going over logging, DOT numbers and their relationships etc., and what they look for in roadside checks besides axle and gross weights.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 2 weeks later...

The trailer is headed home right now. The price quoted to drag it home was less expensive than I could drive at twice the mpg the truck would get. This is a private individual that only hauls cars, boats, campers and such all over the country and lives in his truck. He has a load to move back east in Indy and I'm about 150 miles west of there, so works well for everyone involved. Final cost is .83 per loaded mile to my doorstep. I told him to throw something on the deck to make a little money if he could. I don't know if he found something to haul or not. Joseph Equipment went over the trailer from front to rear and deemed it safe to travel so I'm comfortable. As fair as these folks have been there is no reason to doubt! Should arrive at my place on Wednesday.

Photos hitched to the winch truck to follow if interested...........

Rob

Sorry, but, I think she only has eyes,,er,,ass for me now. I may have ruined her. randyp :unsure:

I admit, "you're a better man/bear than I". She loves it when you "grunt", and breath hard.

Rob