Ifta And Other Numbers:

Rob

Alright, serious subject here I'm asking about:

As many know I've purchased this drop deck trailer in Manchester, NH and need to get it home to Illinois. I need to uprate my driver's license to a class "A" CDL, (no problem there, I have a class "B"). I've never had an IFTA account, or anything else to do with trucking as I never operated out of the state unless barely into Iowa, Indiana, or Missouri. I only licensed my truck to 26,000# and never had a single problem.

I'm wanting to license my R612 as a tractor to pull a semi trailer with the baseplate in Illinois. I'm thinking less than 50,000# total as the most I will ever haul will be another Mack truck. I do not plan to work for hire with the rig, and it will be personal use only. I don't know what is required to run the truck out of state legally? What costs are involved?

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob,

If you are realistically only leaving the state of Illinois occasionally, think about licensing in Illinois only, and buying Trip Permits for those states that you might be going through on an "as needed" basis. It will be far less expensive than buying Apportioned plates if you aren't travelling over the road regularly. I would definitely do that for the first year to see how you actually use the truck.

I don't think you need an IFTA account using the trip permits and purchasing fuel in those states sufficient to cover the miles travelled.

You will need Federal and State DOT numbers - a little money grab by government.

You might find that a Federal DOT inspection sticker will save you some aggravation at roadside checks, although you are perfectly legal with just an Illinois inspection sticker. The Federal sticker is just cheap insurance. And you're not making a living in the truck - make sure that it is absolutely up to snuff. If you are obviously trying to do things right, people generally will work with you.

A visit with your state DOT office will answer a lot of questions.

Keeping the GVW down to a reasonable number will also help with the cost of registration.

There are a ton of regulations to be sure - but most of the horror stories are blown out of proportion. If you make a serious effort to comply with the regulations, I have found that most of the enforcement people are pretty reasonable and understanding.

For your long trips, you will need a logbook, and learn how to fill one out properly. Driver fatigue is at the top of the hit list of offenses.

Someone here will have more information - and if you need to talk with Jimmy, let me know - he's pretty much seen it all over the past fifty years.

Paul VS

As many know I've purchased this drop deck trailer in Manchester, NH and need to get it home to Illinois. I need to uprate my driver's license to a class "A" CDL, (no problem there, I have a class "B"). I've never had an IFTA account, or anything else to do with trucking as I never operated out of the state unless barely into Iowa, Indiana, or Missouri. I only licensed my truck to 26,000# and never had a single problem.

I'm wanting to license my R612 as a tractor to pull a semi trailer with the baseplate in Illinois. I'm thinking less than 50,000# total as the most I will ever haul will be another Mack truck. I do not plan to work for hire with the rig, and it will be personal use only. I don't know what is required to run the truck out of state legally? What costs are involved?

Thanks,

Rob

if not mistaken , if you get plates for historical you should be fine. your not for hire and your own recreational use, and you never take trophies or money at shows, DO YOU. HINT HINT. as long as you have the right license.

gg2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

Rob If you register your combination for under 55,000 gross I think there is no HUT. You will need medical card and drug test.IFTA is not really a big problem if you buy fuel and file on time it is only $5.00.Buying fuel permits individually gets expensive.Federal DOT # is easy to get also go to a Federal Building or online.Filling out logbook properly is a must also.If you are going to use truck it is easier to do it legally. I did it both ways and now try to be legal. Joe D.

Thanks,

Rob

I have no knowledge of licensing requirements in Ill. If I were considering doing the same thing in Ga. I would register the truck with the county that I live in, RE. No IRP, no estimated mileage or reporting to come back and bite your ass. I would register at less than 55,000 lbs. RE. no filing of 2290 involved. I also would not consider IFTA at all, RE. reporting is a never ending pain. You probably won't be able to get around having or applying for a DOT number. If you will only be going out of state occasionaly, the cost of a temp permit is less than being pissed off for the rest of your life. Check with the individual states between ILL and NH about travel without cargo in your own vehicle. When I brought my RS back from Oregon I had to clear a Wyoming port of entry, it was the only fee that I paid. I had called each state along my proposed route, and avoided potential problems. Travel on the weekend helped.

Thanks guys, today is a research day with the state police to find out as much as I can. I will license the truck tomorrow as the secretary of state offices, (DMV) are closed on Monday in IL. Also have a wreck to break into that showed up over the weekend.

If antique plates will work for this venture to pick up the trailer, I'm going to go that route and transfer the registration to another antique truck later. This is easy to do and inexpensive. As Paul mentioned I'll run it a year and know more then.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

What I found out was if I kept comm. plates on my truck, when I went to Syracuse for National convention 2003 it was going to kill me in temp HUT for PA and NY. They were only good for 3 days and I was going 4 days. Hmm, should I be illegal going out or coming back?? Hmmmm. Put Hist tags on the truck and forgot the whole issue.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Well, I spoke extensively with the Illinois state police who were very friendly about everything. Although they could "officially" only speak about Illinois laws concerning what I'm wanting to do, I was given some free advice to license the truck for 50,000# to include the truck, trailer and anything I'd haul on it. There really is no way to avoid DOT numbers, and it is less expensive to open a personal IFTA account although there is a bit more paperwork involved quarterly, than to purchas fuel permits. I'm also told in Illinois that if I was carrying another antique truck, farm tractor, or anything else on an open semi trailer I could be stopped and cited for carrying a load. Driving the truck empty is no problem as is pulling a visibly empty trailer. After speaking with them, the secretary of state's commercial licensing division, IFTA, FMCSA, and a couple of trip permit vendors to access other state's highways legally, I think I'm not going to skirt the laws and go legal. The cost of the Illinois baseplate is about $1600.00 annually so really not that costly if I use the truck, which I will. It will be so much easier to move something completely legal as opposed to doing things the way I have been, or borrowing equipment.

I will run this by Momma tonight. If you never hear from me again, have pity on my soul.

And Randy: Take care of my bear as I would.

Rob

Well, I spoke extensively with the Illinois state police who were very friendly about everything. Although they could "officially" only speak about Illinois laws concerning what I'm wanting to do, I was given some free advice to license the truck for 50,000# to include the truck, trailer and anything I'd haul on it. There really is no way to avoid DOT numbers, and it is less expensive to open a personal IFTA account although there is a bit more paperwork involved quarterly, than to purchas fuel permits. I'm also told in Illinois that if I was carrying another antique truck, farm tractor, or anything else on an open semi trailer I could be stopped and cited for carrying a load. Driving the truck empty is no problem as is pulling a visibly empty trailer. After speaking with them, the secretary of state's commercial licensing division, IFTA, FMCSA, and a couple of trip permit vendors to access other state's highways legally, I think I'm not going to skirt the laws and go legal. The cost of the Illinois baseplate is about $1600.00 annually so really not that costly if I use the truck, which I will. It will be so much easier to move something completely legal as opposed to doing things the way I have been, or borrowing equipment.

I will run this by Momma tonight. If you never hear from me again, have pity on my soul.

Rob

What about insurance cost difference?

My 33K lb Ohio plate was about $350. I thought the GVW dropped when I went Historical. Apparently it didn't, as the scalemaster showed me one time I was questioned. I had my CDL, insurance, med card and a smile and was told to have a nice day.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

What about insurance cost difference?

I asked the insurance lady about that and was told because I'm not hauling for hire and only my own stuff is being transported, my "stated value" policy, and liability coverage on the trucks is all I need. I asked the police and they concur.

I'm still evaluating how to license this thing yet and am not finalized.

Rob

Rob

My Ga. registration is $150.00 per year. IFTA registration has changed somewhat, now, you can only estimate out of state millage for the first year. I think you had mentioned having a locally based DOT officer inspect your truck. I think it can be done by appointment, at your place of business. If they were to find something wrong, they would just say fix it. If Ill. is a partner in the CVSA program. a CVSA sticker in the windshield is good for 90 days. If current, it is usually good for a pass at a roadside inspection. Another plus is the fact that if the receipt is kept in the truck, it will stand for the annual inspection that is required. If you are not going out of state often, look into what can be done under a trip lease.

This morning I ordered and received my FMCSA DOT number, and ordered my Illinois state IFTA number. Decided to go with an IFTA account as I get into Iowa, and Indiana quite a bit but not enough to think about apportionment yet. I also called my sign maker to get business decals made for the truck with the words "Not for Hire in bold letters along the bottom. I don't know if there are criteria where the DOT number has to be located but I'll make it prominant on the doors. I called the state police again and they will pay me a visit at my shop to do a mock DOT inspection on the truck to ensure all is ready to go. I couldn't get away to license the truck so the shakedown will wait a little longer.

Rob

Rob If you run in other states you need to have apportioned plates or run temporary permits for states ran into. That is the reasoning for apportioned plates. Once you get used to paperwork for IFTA and apportioned plates it is not bad.Does Iowa and Indiana recognize a straight Illinois plate? Joe D.

Rob If you run in other states you need to have apportioned plates or run temporary permits for states ran into. That is the reasoning for apportioned plates. Once you get used to paperwork for IFTA and apportioned plates it is not bad.Does Iowa and Indiana recognize a straight Illinois plate? Joe D.

Hi Joe, no they do not and would require a temporary permit. This looks to be a lot less expensive than IRP at this point and I don't know how much usage the truck will get outside of IL. With the IFTA account I wouldn't need to purchase the fuel permit also and that seems to add up quickly.

With the exception of a couple of shows I attend I really don't pass any scales on my trips into those states.

Rob

Spoke with my wife extensively on the subject this morning early. She is not for licensing this truck as it would need, to be used commercially. I am now looking at possibly throwing antique plates on to run out and retrieve the trailer since nothing will be coming back on the deck just to get the ordeal through.

What kind of problems could be anticipated through Indiana, Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Massachusets, and New Hampshire? As mentioned I have the DOT number and will get an IFTA account set up today although I don't think they are needed for this time around.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob I live in Lake Ariel, Penna. it is off !-84 near Scranton. If you need help or want to stop give me a call cell#570-954-3319. Work is sporatic now so I should be avaible until 24 Jan. we are going on cruie.We run apportioned plates on our trucks with few problems unless we get stopped by a real Barney Fife. I have some old trucks with penna. Antique plates and have never been bothered so far. I ran them in New York and New Jersey with no problems.Penna. and New Jersey are fairly liberal with Antique plates. I go to Macungie every year and do not hear horror stories. Not to say it cannot happen.If you need tools or break down or need to park trailer I have room at my garage if no snow. Good Luck on your trip. When are you going? Joe D.

Rob I live in Lake Ariel, Penna. it is off !-84 near Scranton. If you need help or want to stop give me a call cell#570-954-3319. Work is sporatic now so I should be avaible until 24 Jan. we are going on cruie.We run apportioned plates on our trucks with few problems unless we get stopped by a real Barney Fife. I have some old trucks with penna. Antique plates and have never been bothered so far. I ran them in New York and New Jersey with no problems.Penna. and New Jersey are fairly liberal with Antique plates. I go to Macungie every year and do not hear horror stories. Not to say it cannot happen.If you need tools or break down or need to park trailer I have room at my garage if no snow. Good Luck on your trip. When are you going? Joe D.

Hi Joe, I'm trying to make it over this weekend if I can get all straightened out on this end.

I'll give you a call in the evening.

Appreciate the help.

Rob

Spoke with my wife extensively on the subject this morning early. She is not for licensing this truck as it would need, to be used commercially. I am now looking at possibly throwing antique plates on to run out and retrieve the trailer since nothing will be coming back on the deck just to get the ordeal through.

What kind of problems could be anticipated through Indiana, Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Massachusets, and New Hampshire? As mentioned I have the DOT number and will get an IFTA account set up today although I don't think they are needed for this time around.

Thanks,

Rob

My thinking is this,"better safe than sorry" i do not think you will encounter much if any problems at all,especially since you will be empty and the truck is not going to be used commercially. The only state on your trip that concerns me is new hampshire,there are several roads that reqiure permits for ANY commercial vehicle entering the state,same with vermont this is usually an overall lenght issue,so you should be fine,although me personally, i would check with the DOT in both states just to make sure. The laws vary so much in their interpretation state to state,it's hard to keep a handle on whats what! i've been a commercial driver almost 30 years and i STILL dont understand all the variants! but i have allways been compliant,run good clean ,safe equipment NEVER had any real problems.It seems to me you have done your research,and have all your ducks in a row! I have driven fellow ATHS members trucks to shows,and retrieved trucks in neighboring states many times with no problems whatsoever. Hope this is some help to you!......................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

You running the pike? Or state routes?

I assume you're going straight through. Looking for any driving help?

I figger I'll keep the tires hot as is normal. Hopefully by the time I reach your place I'll have enough experience in this truck to be comfortable. If you don't mind driving throughout the night I certainly could use some help as I'll be alone. I'm planning to go much the same way towards you along rt. 30 to Wooster and on up into Canton for a visit, (and critique your work) LOL. Like to meet up with Greg and Dan if possible also.

I'm going to call all the state's DMV's if I can get the numbers to ask questions; just to try to be on the safe side.

Rob

My thinking is this,"better safe than sorry" i do not think you will encounter much if any problems at all,especially since you will be empty and the truck is not going to be used commercially. The only state on your trip that concerns me is new hampshire,there are several roads that reqiure permits for ANY commercial vehicle entering the state,same with vermont this is usually an overall lenght issue,so you should be fine,although me personally, i would check with the DOT in both states just to make sure. The laws vary so much in their interpretation state to state,it's hard to keep a handle on whats what! i've been a commercial driver almost 30 years and i STILL dont understand all the variants! but i have allways been compliant,run good clean ,safe equipment NEVER had any real problems.It seems to me you have done your research,and have all your ducks in a row! I have driven fellow ATHS members trucks to shows,and retrieved trucks in neighboring states many times with no problems whatsoever. Hope this is some help to you!......................Mark

Thanks Mark, I'll be checking into this further and really appreciate the help.

Rob