What kind of sadist would design the starter placement so that you had to remove the oil filter to get to the starter ground?!? I could do it from underneath, turing 1/360 of a degree at a time!

Ahhh yes, those were the days. That's just the Mack way. Just count your blessings that it isn't a more "modern" piece of machinery!

P.S.: It sometimes helps to invoke the patron saints of Mack Trucks when working on this sort of thing. As in "Jack, Willy, and Gus! That was tight!".

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I got one to and it has a loose ground at the end of atarter. Bad thinbg is when i chnge oil i cant think to tighten the nut. So about ever few weeks it forgets to start and i get out and pull onn the cable and all is ok.I was working on macks when the starter was on bottom right side. The they came out with the maxidyn and moved it up on top but was not bad with the large canister filter but withthe three filter screw on makes it harder to work the starter.

glenn akers

I got one to and it has a loose ground at the end of atarter. Bad thinbg is when i chnge oil i cant think to tighten the nut. So about ever few weeks it forgets to start and i get out and pull onn the cable and all is ok.I was working on macks when the starter was on bottom right side. The they came out with the maxidyn and moved it up on top but was not bad with the large canister filter but withthe three filter screw on makes it harder to work the starter.

Starting seeing sparks flying behind the oil filter when it was starting hard...jiggled the cable and it came out of the terminal! Gonna take 'em both off and have new end ends put on...

I am proud though, today I "shoved" the end back in its hole and the ol girl started today at 20 degrees with no block warming! Rewarded her by taking her around the block

:SMOKIE-LFT:

Had that problem with my Pontiac;the ground cable was attached to a bolt back behind the P/S pump brackets,and without disassembling the whole Power Steering and A/C compressor bracketry/P/S pump bag-o-snakes I couldn't even see the end of the cable. I just replaced the whole cable and bolted the new one to the front of the cylinder head-plenty of room to tighten it. then I cut the old cable off as far back as I could reach. Problem solved. (I'll remove the cable remnants when I have the heads rebuilt next time. :thumb: )

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

The best thing we did on our E7 460 was change the starter over to the Mitsubushi gear reduction drive starter. Less than half the size WAY easier to install and very reliable so far . Would never go back to the old style Delco starter . Only issue it sounds like an old style Dodge pickup when cranking over .