Hello

again

Can someone fill me in on some more Mack history

How good were Mack engines back in the day?

How did Mack engines (whichever series ) compare with 855 cummins or KT cummins and 1693 or 3406 CAT's in terms of reliability?

Were Mack engines as good and reliable as Mack trucks?

And which you think was the best Mack engine ever built both in terms of performance and longevity/reliability

thanks

the small KTs were used in trucks too, though the KT line extended to really big engines

All the KT's were the same size:1150 cubic inch displacement.

They were available in various horsepower ratings, and in aftercooled & non aftercooled configurations.

Physically they are (were) all the same size.

I have seen some KTA's (the "A" stands for aftercooled) rated at 650 HP installed in trucks.

As for the question about best Mack engine, I vote for the ENDT 675 Maxidyne - virtually bulletproof.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Even the 6 cylinder KTs were too heavy for normal highway haulage, weighing in at 3500 pounds, some 600 pounds heavier than the Mack E9 V8 and 1300 pounds heavier than the Mack 6 cylinder engine. The Cat 1693 and 3406 and the Cummins 855 were also hundreds of pounds heavier than the Mack 6, and were more competitors for the E9 V8 that clearly outclassed them. The 6 cylinder Macks competitors are really the M11, the 11 and 13 litre Cats, and the 50 series Detroit. In that competition Mack offers several exclusive features like the Maxidyne, etc.

All the KT's were the same size:1150 cubic inch displacement.

They were available in various horsepower ratings, and in aftercooled & non aftercooled configurations.

Physically they are (were) all the same size.

I have seen some KTA's (the "A" stands for aftercooled) rated at 650 HP installed in trucks.

As for the question about best Mack engine, I vote for the ENDT 675 Maxidyne - virtually bulletproof.

I say endt675 if you bont need big power very goog engine untill fuel is set up too much

glenn akers

How did Mack engines (whichever series ) compare with 855 cummins or KT cummins and 1693 or 3406 CAT's in terms of reliability?

The KT is not one of Cummins' proudest moments. Mack sold a lot more E9's and over a lot more years despite only being available in just one make.

And which you think was the best Mack engine ever built both in terms of performance and longevity/reliability

Hagerstown built its millionth engine in 2002. probly the most popular one of those was the ENDT675. I have seen it gross as much as 130,000 lbs. OK not very fast but that little engine would pull. If you look at all the mixers and dumps that were built with it you can say, "this is the engine that built America." :thumb:

Hello

again

Can someone fill me in on some more Mack history

Were Mack engines as good and reliable as Mack trucks?

thanks

Got a 37 yr old ENDT675 with a TRQ 7220 18spd and a Rad 529 5.78 ratio rear, what do you want me to pull? Delivered a backhoe the other night, large JD, that with the trailer around 24,000 never felt it, ran 65@2000

my DMM with a 285 mixer truck with a 5 speeds can handle any truck with a 350 (non mack for sure).

small but unbeatable!

Back in the day? Seems it's going to be a few yrs before the 673 675 will be something you just remember, too many to count still working every day.