Hi

I'm not a mack man, and don't own any macks, but I'm currious about them, but don't know much, so I come here because there are many mack experts here

Here is what I'm wondering about:

How physically strong are mack B, R and Superliner series? (or any newer series)

What I mean is when compared to other trucks of those decades (like Kenworths) what could you say about

the durability and strength of the hull and undercarriage on Mack trucks?

How durable and strong is the construction of older Mack trucks?

They say "built like a mack truck", does that statment have any real meaning, are Macks really built like tanks?

How would you compare them to old petes, w900's, internationals, 80's Western stars etc.

that said, out of all the B and post-B Mack trucks, which you think was the strongest?

thanks

Well were all pretty bias to macks here for obvious reasons. but when people compared the old macks to other older truck brands it was well know that Macks had the drive train for off road and HD applacations. there diffs were bullit proof, transmissions were basicly overbuilt for the HP of the day. Mack had many diffrent engine offerings for all types of jobs. You will find plenty of older petes and KWs with mack rear ends under them so that says something right there. In its day (likely still today) Macks main buisness was the construction field. they built the B and R models so well that they would basicly rust away before they mechanicly fell apart. the camel back rear springs have been used for the offroad from the 50s? aera(correct me if im wrong)and are still being installed on new macks today. And as many will tell you a mack would wear out 5 drivers before they wore it out. You could get a R or B to haul just about anything. single, double and triple frames were availible and axels spring ratings for extream weights that needed to be moved on or off the roads.

the strength of a truck is all in the specs, a over the road single frame B,R,Superliner would not be as well suited as a truck specd with double rails for on/off road use. same goes with gearing and axels, springs etc...

I dont think that the Macks today will last as long as the B and R models did but thats just the change in the trucking industry that mack has needed to stay in pace with. Mack was kinda an oddball mfg becase for the most part Mack only built there trucks with all mack componets. This had a good and bad effect. some people liked this others wanted to pick and chouse engines transmissons rears etc... Todays macks you can pick and chouse most of your drive train parts. I dont know if its good or bad but If I bought a new mack I would stick with an all mack drivetrain.

just my .02

I am assuming this is "Edgar Davor". Since you are at ATHS and here asking this question you are probably on several other boards asking the same question. The answer is............. There is no answer! Everyone will have an opinion, but no one can give you an answer, especially since you question many of the replies that you get. It appears to me that you are trying to write a paper, possibly for a class project. There are many people on all these sites that would like to help you out, myself included as I did make a rather indept reply at ATHS, but it appears that you are looking for a very specific answer and as I said before you can get opinions, but I don't think you can get an answer.

T.

What about the cab and the nose. Were they one of those bullet proof hulls where you could jump on the hood and not get a dent, or were they one of those paper hoods.

How did mack hull construction compare to others?

JUMP ON THE HOOD????????? :pat:

When I had all the hired drivers working for me, & 4 dump trucks on the road every day, I had a company policy that if I caught anyone standing or kneeling on a fender or hood for ANY reason, they'd be FIRED on the spot.

Steps are for standing. Hoods & fenders are for appearance, they're supposed to stay straight & shiny, not scuffed & smashed.

:angry::angry::angry::angry:

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

yea thats me there

and I'm not looking for an answer, only some kind of metal stretching test would give an answer, I'm looking for opinion instead.

And no, I'm not writing any paper, sorry if I sounded juvenile or something. I'm over 21.

Just want to know for myself.

thanks for your answer over there, but why should I stop after one answer and one forum?

JUMP ON THE HOOD????????? :pat:

When I had all the hired drivers working for me, & 4 dump trucks on the road every day, I had a company policy that if I caught anyone standing or kneeling on a fender or hood for ANY reason, they'd be FIRED on the spot.

Steps are for standing. Hoods & fenders are for appearance, they're supposed to stay straight & shiny, not scuffed & smashed.

:angry::angry::angry::angry:

So what if I used that example. Nobody suggests running a car ito a brick wall either, but every maker uses one as a car crash test.

KWs and Peterbuilts were designed to be lightweight showtrucks. Freightliners were designed to be lightweight, period. IH, Ford, etc. were designed to be cheap trucks. All of the above were designed for nice smooth highways that barely stress anything.

Macks are designed for the worst roads, and even no roads at all. In some ways a Mack is wasted on the smooth, flat interstates that are the natural environment of other trucks. As the old Mack ad showing an R model storming down a desert dirt road says: "Where only the strong survive, Macks thrive".

Thanks for all the answers.

Where would you put superliner in the list of tough Macks?

I assume behind B and R models in terms of durability?

Edgar, I sure hope I am wrong but your questions sound redundant and the answers do not appear to be what you want to hear. I think you are displaying arrogance with your replies when someone offers their opinion.

If there is some sort of handicap involved, (and I do not mean to berate you) let us know as the level of tolerance to your type of questioning will be expanded/enhanced; otherwise please find another board to bother. A good portion of the feedback I've seen from this and other boards is that you are wasting posting space.

Regards;

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

KWs and Peterbuilts were designed to be lightweight showtrucks. Freightliners were designed to be lightweight, period. IH, Ford, etc. were designed to be cheap trucks. All of the above were designed for nice smooth highways that barely stress anything.

Macks are designed for the worst roads, and even no roads at all. In some ways a Mack is wasted on the smooth, flat interstates that are the natural environment of other trucks. As the old Mack ad showing an R model storming down a desert dirt road says: "Where only the strong survive, Macks thrive".

Not to start a fued, but IH were cheap and durable. MD was IH trademark, when you needed HD you bought a MACK. A Ford MD/HD was junk(better than GM). I love old Mack's and IH's, Loadstars for MD trucks and Mack R,DM and U's for HD trucks. I just have a soft spot for the old IH trucks because my grandfather had so many of them.

Not to start a fued, but IH were cheap and durable. MD was IH trademark, when you needed HD you bought a MACK. A Ford MD/HD was junk(better than GM). I love old Mack's and IH's, Loadstars for MD trucks and Mack R,DM and U's for HD trucks. I just have a soft spot for the old IH trucks because my grandfather had so many of them.

I can say that IH is better then Freightliner. I have only experience with the Class 7 delivery trucks but the IH have more polish to them and the DT/HT engines have been knows to get almost a million miles before an inframe.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Now I'm partial to Macks because they live up to their reputation, making me money by getting the job done on construction sites that eat up most other brands. In fact in the 24 years I've had my B model, it's always made it home after a hard days work and has never left me stranded, only one time on the hook when I was in a bad accident that would have left one of those "girlie trucks" totaled and me in the hospital (at best). There's only one other brand that was as tough and sad to say, Mack's new owner ruined them. That would be Autocar. The old A'cars (before Volvo screwed them up) were incredibly tough. Unfortunately they were also incredibly slow and heavy so with todays weight laws making money with them would be tough too. But as far as working hard in tough conditions, Awfulcars are the only other brand that can hold a candle to Mack. Bob

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

What about the cab and the nose. Were they one of those bullet proof hulls where you could jump on the hood and not get a dent, or were they one of those paper hoods.

How did mack hull construction compare to others?

I'm 6'2" 200lbs and maybe I shouldn't say this, but, I have been up the bumper and across the fenders of my R to get to the windshield. Didn't jump up and down, and yes I would bet anything it won't dent if I did. Fiberglass just doesn't do that. Can't say I wouldn't be standing on iron after such an act though. One thing I did do over the past couple years that amazed me was cut through the 12" I beam on my tandem duel tag trailer right to the vertical just like it was cut with shears. How did I do it? You may ask. With the single Mack frame, jack knifing it on back roads to turn around. The Mack frame doesn't have the slightest scratch. This blew me away when I saw such a clean cut, just like a shear and the truck frame is as new.

I'm 6'2" 200lbs and maybe I shouldn't say this, but, I have been up the bumper and across the fenders of my R to get to the windshield. Didn't jump up and down, and yes I would bet anything it won't dent if I did. Fiberglass just doesn't do that. Can't say I wouldn't be standing on iron after such an act though. One thing I did do over the past couple years that amazed me was cut through the 12" I beam on my tandem duel tag trailer right to the vertical just like it was cut with shears. How did I do it? You may ask. With the single Mack frame, jack knifing it on back roads to turn around. The Mack frame doesn't have the slightest scratch. This blew me away when I saw such a clean cut, just like a shear and the truck frame is as new.

Added note, the Mack steel is 38 yrs old, the tag trailer is 2 years old this winter and about the same thickness.

One thing I did do over the past couple years that amazed me was cut through the 12" I beam on my tandem duel tag trailer right to the vertical just like it was cut with shears. ...With the single Mack frame, jack knifing it on back roads to turn around. The Mack frame doesn't have the slightest scratch.

Yah, I've seen RD's dump a 30 ton load of coal where the load froze to one side causing the truck to upset to the point where the bed was laying flat on its side on the ground and the front axle still had both tires still on the ground. Pull it back over on it's wheels with the dozer and drive it home, unbent.

Compare that to a GMC Brigadier I saw buckle his frame by just spreading gravel on a turn and forgot to lift the pusher axle, that one was a write-off. :unsure:

We have ran (we being my familys excavating business) every model :mack1: made from the 50's on up to the early 90's models & other than a double framed KW W/ WALKING BEAMS OR CHALMERS UNDER IT OR LIKE BOB SAID A OLE AUTOCAR (pre volvo) Thats just bout all we ran the :mack1: 's we pure breed & the K Whoppers & Autocar's had B/C Cummins in them W/ 8LL'S & 9SPDS . all were tough rough & reday truckS nothing fancy or pretty just tough rough & reday ugly ole tractor's & dump trucks

besides i was named after a B model (thats i still have & has been in my family since 1969 & its a 1964 model single axle) & would take "olddog " & start over w/ him again if i had too so yes i am a :mack1: man though & though

when ya in the construction business the chrome just makes it pretty going cross the dirt thats all & more to clean ya want something that will walk across soft ground w/ a 25ton load & back across w/o any problems THATS A :bulldog1::mack1: . a :mack1: IS BUILT FOR WORKING IN THE DIRT & MUD IMOP :thumb:

JUST MY .02 YALL Yall have a safeone

Bulldog

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude: