65 B Model Question

Was 1965 the last year for the B model?

Also, was 1965 the only year for the big square external radiator on the B-61?

Also again, any info on the "237" engine, what years, and what it was originally installed in.

Thanks

Leslie

Edited by leversole

Also again, any info on the "237" engine, what years, and what it was originally installed in.

Thanks

Leslie

Since i'm the first on call with this subject, i'll try and get right some of your questions. The last year for the B model was 1966. The B-75 was one of the square radiator Mack's, they were building different style's of B Models, from B-13's to B-873 with Cummins Diesel Engines. The last question about the 237 engine I may need help on. I believe the 237 came in the R- Model Macks in the early 1970's.

I hope this helps you.

mike

B 81 also had square rad. The "237" was introduced in 1966 I believe. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks

Leslie

Leslie, You could basically say that 66 was the last year of the B model. I think the last one rolled of the production line April 66. There was probbly new ones being delivered well after that date.

'The big square external radiator on the B61'? Depends on how specific you want to be. There was what you could call a streamlined external radiator on B models. It was really only on the B615 which was a V8 B61, or the B70 series, although I would not be surprised if a number of 6 cyl B50 or B60 series were factory fitted with this rad. The B615 was available from 62, the B75's etc from about 55 on so this radiator was available well before 65. Then there was the external radiator that was on the B80 series. It was more industrial looking, like the radiators found on some L models. There were two sizes, narrow and wide. I know this radiator was fitted to the B61RSE, the 'E' denoteing 'extreme'. There were some of this model delivered to Australia well before 65.

The '237'. This engine designated ENDT675 released, say, 67. Mack trucks with this engine were '85's, i.e. R685, F685, U685 DM685, R785 and so on. The '237' was the original 'Maxidyne', it was the engine that started the ball rolling on the development of high torque, constant power engines. This engine was further upgraded to the ENDT676 in about 73, this was 285hp, known as 'Maxidyne 300' or 'Cool Power' it used an engine mounted air to air intercooler. The '237' was still available with changes to model designation, like T675, EM6 237 etc. right up to the early 80's.

Hope this info helps

Regards Jeff.

Thanks...it all makes sense....the truck I am looking at is indeed a 1965 B615

It was repowered with a "237", which until now I did not know was a ENDT675

Nw if I can just figure out how to use the NY registration to get a PA title

I will be a happy fellow!

New York State did not use a separate Title document until 1973.

Everything prior to that year uses the registration document as a transferable Proof of Ownership.

Pennsylvania will accept the New York registration, and issue you a new Pa. Title. There should be no problem at all - except that this is government.

You really should have everything you need, as long as the NY registration is signed over to you and signed by the previous owner.

Paul Van Scott

If you are planning on an Antique plate in Pennsylvania be sure that the title is not "tagged" as a modified truck (maybe changed to a tanden?). Modified or reconstructed titled trucks in Pennsylvania cannot get Antique plates. The only other choice would be regular commercial registration- $1000 to $2500 a year.

I was able to get a "Collectible" plate after six weeks of effort for my B75 which was changed from a single axle to a tandem.

Nothing about the system in Pennsylvania is to be easy.