Cxu Air Assist Clutch

We have already replaced the original air cylinder last winter, now the new one is starting to "stiffen up". Anybody else have problems? It makes it difficult to adjust pedal free play with the cylinder not acting properly.

There are parts available to change it over to the standard type clutch cable.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

There are parts available to change it over to the standard type clutch cable.

Highly recommended I might add!

On the newer engines these have caused a lot of greif!

These rarly come adjusted correctly from the factory They tend to take out the clutch brake which then wipes out the sensor on the fly wheel housing two or three times before you get all the peices .

The sensor is Not a nice thing to change.

Funny thing is they blame the clutch brake when the real problem is the clutch adjustment.

Delete the air doins and get back to the real clutch cable!

These rarly come adjusted correctly from the factory They tend to take out the clutch brake which then wipes out the sensor on the fly wheel housing two or three times before you get all the peices .

Funny thing is they blame the clutch brake when the real problem is the clutch adjustment.

Thanks for the reply. How much is the conversion kit and what is involved with making this conversion? Talked to our local Mack dealer and the service dept. hadn't heard of this kit. I gave them the service bullitan number today now im waiting for a return phone call from them.

Years ago on the old B models and early R with the air duplex it had a air assist and it would do same thing very offten. It was ok if some one owned the truck and knew how to adjust. But problem was you did not have a good feel of the free travel as in a manaul link.

glenn akers

I was looking at a brand new 2011 CXU and GU on our lot and neither one had the air clutch assist on them. Guess the boss man ordered them without. Smart move.

Our new trucks have been ordered without air assist also.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

• 2 years later...

Have 2012 MACK CXU613 Pinnacle with air assist clutch with 62,000 miles & 1 year of use. Had clutch adjusted 3 times by dealer so far. Each time you go about 2,000 miles & you find the play is out of the clutch. On the 3rd time they pulled trans & put in new clutch brake (& requested 2 piece clutch brake) as they said lining was worn...& not warranty, but "driver error"~have driven MACKs for 12 years, and never had a clutch problem like this new truck!!! Has anyone else had this experience?

I'd found the info on after market conversion kit on this site, & that was helpful to me. Actually told dealer to look into this kit as they had no clue.

• 3 years later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...