Loud Road Noise

QCDriver

Could use some input from the forums.

I am getting loud road noise while driving straight and right. Sounds like the prop of a plane. It's louder when loaded, but if I make a slight left it goes away. The truck is an '01 CH daycab. I pulled right wheel thinking the bearing was bad, but it was smooth turning and no play. It is getting worse and can feel it in my feet now. Checked u joints, ride height and all of the driveline. All tires at good psi and wearing even.

King pins are also good.

What other things should I look for? I'm going crazy here waiting for a major failure before I can find the problem.

Thanks for any input on this.

Happy Birthday QC, hope it turns out to be a good one.

Like Hatcity said, check the fluid levels. Check your front cab mounts and see if it looks like one side is sitting closer to the frame bracket than the other. Check the engine and transmission mounts too.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Is this constant or sporadic?

Watch air pressure gage, you may have an air spring leaking.

Had that on my truck once. Hell of a vibration when I hit a bump. Thought it might be an axle broke.

That reminds me, possible rear axle.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Is this constant or sporadic?

Watch air pressure gage, you may have an air spring leaking.

Had that on my truck once. Hell of a vibration when I hit a bump. Thought it might be an axle broke.

That reminds me, possible rear axle.

That's kind of what I thought too, differential spider/side gears maybe. Didn't want to ruin his birthday, have him tearing his truck down all day though.

Thanks for the B-day wishes. The noise is all day long.

I thought it was ride height also but it looks fine. I'm working tomorrow very local, so when I'm off loading I'll check fluid levels. Today is my day and I decided not to do a thing today. Just veggin' out. I'll have more info tomorrow.

I thought about a rear also, but I'm checking what I can now. I did find a spring on rt. steer brake broken, that was my vibration as shoes where rubbing.

Other then draining oil and looking for metal, what else can I do to check if rears are OK?

ou might be able to check to see if one of the differentials is getting hot after driving it. You might see something if you pull the axles and look at the splines. If you find anything wrong with the rear ends make sure to check the tires and make sure they are matched in size.

ou might be able to check to see if one of the differentials is getting hot after driving it. You might see something if you pull the axles and look at the splines. If you find anything wrong with the rear ends make sure to check the tires and make sure they are matched in size.

I shot the rears with pyro. gun they had low temps. I'm running super singles so thats not an issue.

Do you think if I jacked up rears I might feel something rotating them by hand?

I shot the rears with pyro. gun they had low temps. I'm running super singles so thats not an issue.

Do you think if I jacked up rears I might feel something rotating them by hand?

Probably not but it wouldn't hurt anything to try. If you have a temperature gun shoot it at the wheel bearings too. I've seen a couple of posts on here lately related to bearing failures on super single tires, so it might not be a bad idea to check all of them out if you haven't. Is your vibration gone after fixing the brake spring? If not, do you fell it more coming up through the steering wheel or more through the seat? If it coming through the steering wheel check out the front some more, if it's coming through the seat check out the rear of the truck.

Probably not but it wouldn't hurt anything to try. If you have a temperature gun shoot it at the wheel bearings too. I've seen a couple of posts on here lately related to bearing failures on super single tires, so it might not be a bad idea to check all of them out if you haven't. Is your vibration gone after fixing the brake spring? If not, do you fell it more coming up through the steering wheel or more through the seat? If it coming through the steering wheel check out the front some more, if it's coming through the seat check out the rear of the truck.

Bearings checked ok with pyro. gun. I've run about 300k on singles. The shacking in steering went away with spring, but the vibration tingles hands on steering wheel, and feet on floor.

Bearings checked ok with pyro. gun. I've run about 300k on singles. The shacking in steering went away with spring, but the vibration tingles hands on steering wheel, and feet on floor.

Dont take this the wrong way.. But if it makes noise turning right and going straight. Doesnt that mean u may want to check the left front wheel bearing? Cause when turning right all the weight transfers to the left of the truck. Thats just my .02 cents do what u want with it. Later ~Joe~ good luck

Dont take this the wrong way.. But if it makes noise turning right and going straight. Doesnt that mean u may want to check the left front wheel bearing? Cause when turning right all the weight transfers to the left of the truck. Thats just my .02 cents do what u want with it. Later ~Joe~ good luck

Not taken wrong. Left was checked with right and king pins.

I think it's the rear diff. having oil analyzed will know by end of week. Meanwhile I'll stay local.

Not taken wrong. Left was checked with right and king pins.

I think it's the rear diff. having oil analyzed will know by end of week. Meanwhile I'll stay local.

This may sound stupid, but I had a bad motor mount and when I turned the steering wheel the fan would hit the radiator shroud. Didn't move much but just enough to make a noise.

Hi, I second this, would pull the hub apart and look at bearings, just cause temp is down, doesnt mean its ok. if it was difs you should be able to alter the noise with your accelator, and same if it was rest of driveline, that would make a noise no matter what way you go. I would expect your wheel bearing is pitted

good luck. Grant

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I second this, would pull the hub apart and look at bearings, just cause temp is down, doesnt mean its ok. if it was difs you should be able to alter the noise with your accelator, and same if it was rest of driveline, that would make a noise no matter what way you go. I would expect your wheel bearing is pitted

good luck. Grant

Yes it was a left side bearing. I've been chasing the noise for 4 months. I always thought it was left till right lug caps came off. Vibration from broken

brake spring. At that time we used dial indicator on king pins and hub, all checked out per specs. Well the noise got louder last week and finally we got some

noise and play spinning by hand. The outer bearing was wiped. Worse part you need the hub, as bearings cannot be bought per Mack and Meritor.

I'm sure I could have had the number cross as they where a CR bearing. I thought there must have been a reason these style hubs should not rebuilt, they would

have had a core charge.

Thanks for all reply's

Rear diff my need work.