E6 350 Turbo !

Fastduramax

Same motor as my last 2 posts lol ! 88 E6 350 4 valve ATA Ambac injection system.... I was wondering if anyone has found a good turbo replacement part number to get a bit more boost and performance out of their 350 ? Current part number on my truck is 631GC5117.... I did slightly damage some fins on the front half of the turbo while changing the V clamp which Im hoping is to blame for my low boost situation seeing everything else has checked out normal ! Anyway if I am going to spend the money to have a turbo on hand I would like to go higher performance ! Thanks, Todd.

• 2 weeks later...

Same motor as my last 2 posts lol ! 88 E6 350 4 valve ATA Ambac injection system.... I was wondering if anyone has found a good turbo replacement part number to get a bit more boost and performance out of their 350 ? Current part number on my truck is 631GC5117.... I did slightly damage some fins on the front half of the turbo while changing the V clamp which Im hoping is to blame for my low boost situation seeing everything else has checked out normal ! Anyway if I am going to spend the money to have a turbo on hand I would like to go higher performance ! Thanks, Todd.

An E6-350 is at about the limit you want to push as far as design horsepower/torque output criteria. I'd think of having your original turbocharger rebuilt before attempting to "hop that engine up", knowing there are damaged parts. There are resources available through the internet that will help you in your quest but you really need to pay close attention to the compressor maps for a given turbocharger compressor section to acheive the final result you pursue. No sense installing something that performs best about 2350 rpm on an engine that will never run there.

I have an E6-350 and like it as is. I don't expect more than it will safely provide, but then again I can't afford to "casually" rebuild an engine. If you try to achieve say 400 horsepower, the engine will be short lived although you could do just that with minor modifications and refinements. It gets expensive to properly "build" a turbocharger, then set fuel delivery rate and nozzle size accordingly to gain maximum performance. The first step would be to get the correct turbocharger proven on paper, then fill that airstream with the proper amount of fuel, (plus about 5% at full throttle to keep EGT's down). However there are limitations the lower reciprocating assembly may not hold up to.

Garret/Honeywell used to offer some good books on the subject, but I don't know any longer. Never really messed with increasing the performance of a diesel engine on my own but have worked with several small gasoline powered units with both series, and parallel turbocharging units. Smokey Yunik was one of my childhood heros on the subject. He liked working with small engines and producing tremendous horspower output from such.

What you are asking to do is not as simple as "turning a screw" or bolting on additional parts. To use the famous Mack saying: You need a "Balanced Power Package" to obtain satisfactory results. I believe Mack never took this series of engine over the 350hp rating due to knowing they were at the limit, although it can be easily done. No warranty when it breaks however, and that is important on the manufacturing level.

If more power and longevity is what you are after, you should evaluate moving to an E7 series of engine to stay with Mack power.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 2 years later...

Hey fellas this is (Prettyboy) I run a 89 superliner. Dale Francis engineering can get you 450 reliable horsepower. They are going to try to sell you a e-9 so stick to your guns. Well worth it. I run mine with a Double over 13. (105 mph) with 4.42 rears all day long. Cats taste like chicken.

Pett

Hey fellas this is (Prettyboy) I run a 89 superliner. Dale Francis engineering can get you 450 reliable horsepower. They are going to try to sell you a e-9 so stick to your guns. Well worth it. I run mine with a Double over 13. (105 mph) with 4.42 rears all day long. Cats taste like chicken.

This is what he was wanting to hear but i will say same thing as Rob its to expensive to try to make a living with a truck and have to rebuild it cause you want to pull like a cat. Only way to make 400 safe power is with a E7 Vmac.

glenn akers