Intercooler For R Model

MackMan96

that engine looks like an rebuilt early maxidyne... 237??? judgeing by the crossover pipe from the turbo to the intake (no intercooler or turbine charge cooler)

The problem I see installing an intercooler on that truck is how the radiator is installed, most of the R models I have see with the IC had the radiator moved back a few inchecs to accept the thickness of the IC. This will effect the space allowed for the fan/belts etc... I think the IC cores are about 3 1/2 thick. if you have a spacer plate on the fan that can be removed to place the fan closer to the engine thats a good sign it may work?.however you will need to get diffrent pullys that are offset to accept a tighter fit?

also if the truck has A/C or shutters that takes up even more fitment room. might have to sacrifice something?

Trent

Can an turbo intercooler be added to a 1988 R Model

(see attachment)

You could find a tip turbine aftercooler setup from a 285 H.P. & it'll bolt right on there in place of the existing intake manifold, but you'll have to put on the 2 element air cleaner to supply it with cool air, also put a turbo from a 285 on it, and now that you've done all that, you might as well put an injection pump & injectors from a 285 on there also, cause all that cool air ain't gonna help much unless it gets more fuel too.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Hey Chuck, now that you brought that to my attention, it has the firewall to radiator support rods- I think they stopped using those previous to 88. The ones I've seen from that vintage have a rod from the top radiator tank extending diagonally down to the frame about halfway between the cab & radiator.

Also, you're right about the radiator, that looks like the 700 sq in radiator like they used in earlier models with 673 & 711 non turbo motors.

The factory radiator with a 675 -237 HP would be the 1000 sq. in with the cast aluminum top tank.

From what I've seen on trucks I've worked on or driven, R models from about 73 on up should have the "viscous fan drive" as the parts department likes to refer to the fan clutch.

I would still recommend the "modus operandi" of my earlier post if they really want to put an aftercooler on it.

Herb

Herb, I agree with your thoughts on upgrade. Also you may be correct about the support rods. I seem to remember in 1988 some rads had cast tanks and some were frame mount for air to air intercooler and 4 valve engine.

Gees it seems like yesterday these were the NEW trucks for the fleet I worked on!!!

Chuck

the tip turbine set up would seam almost as simple of a project as moving everything for an frontmount IC. The turbo may need to be clocked diffrently but other than that pretty much would be all bolt on. If it converted the engine to a true 285. Would the HP rating max out the cooling capasity of the small rad.???

Not shure when the rad support braces were changed but another thing I notice is that the air ride cabs(that I have seen) do not use the "X brace" that bolted to the cab. I had helped work on a mid 80s R that was built with a solid mount cab. We were converting it to an ride cab and removed the X brace. We bought the later style rad braces but they did not fit as the front shock absober mount was installed diffrently. we ended up making our own brackets.

That engine looks like a 2 valve to me. Are you sure it's an 1988?

It certainly is a 2 valve. Note the valve covers. It's an ENDT675 237 HP if I've ever seen one.

The more I study that photo, the more that whole setup appears to be mid 70's vintage, or possibly something that was stuck together using parts from various year trucks. The motor has the spin on filters-72 or newer. That radiator support looks like ones I've seen on late 60's models. The engine has the cast aluminum intake manifolds- mid 70's or later. Dry type air cleaner- 73 or newer.

I would also conclude it's not an 88.

It certainly is a 2 valve. Note the valve covers. It's an ENDT675 237 HP if I've ever seen one.

The more I study that photo, the more that whole setup appears to be mid 70's vintage, or possibly something that was stuck together using parts from various year trucks. The motor has the spin on filters-72 or newer. That radiator support looks like ones I've seen on late 60's models. The engine has the cast aluminum intake manifolds- mid 70's or later. Dry type air cleaner- 73 or newer.

I would also conclude it's not an 88.

The truck was for sale on ebay as:

1988 MACK 16 FOOT DUMP TRUCK TANDEM GOOD CONDITION (#250026540398)

Information as list on eBay:

Make: Mack

Model: RD600K

Year: 1988

Mileage: 82411

Transmission Speeds: Eaton Fuller 8LL (I think this is correct)

Suspension Type: Camelback

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN): 1M3P114K0JT004674

Tire Size: 22.5

I am pretty sure the k stood for kit,maybe Mike H. will have an answer. Terry :mack1:

RD600K would definately mean it was a glider kit.Before the gov't made everyone switch to the 17 digit VIN which is a joke to decipher,the VIN would have been RD folowed by numbers.My '76 R model was a glider kit,and the VIN was R2901.