Neat Old Tools

other dog

Show and tell for the day-

I was looking around in the tool box for something yesterday and saw these old tools that I haven't used for years. The point setting tool and brake spoon were mine from when I worked at a garage from '74 to '77. The others were given to me by my grandfather when he retired from Newman Tire Co. in Farmville,Va.

Might be kind of rare. Those are real Channellock pliers, the smallest i've ever seen. The odd looking box end wrench was to hold the end of a shock absorber while you tighten it. The round thing i'm holding is to install points-it has a spring loaded screw holder on one end and a magnet on the other end. The curved wrench is just old, made in New York City.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Show and tell for the day-

I was looking around in the tool box for something yesterday and saw these old tools that I haven't used for years. The point setting tool and brake spoon were mine from when I worked at a garage from '74 to '77. The others were given to me by my grandfather when he retired from Newman Tire Co. in Farmville,Va.

Might be kind of rare. Those are real Channellock pliers, the smallest i've ever seen. The odd looking box end wrench was to hold the end of a shock absorber while you tighten it. The round thing i'm holding is to install points-it has a spring loaded screw holder on one end and a magnet on the other end. The curved wrench is just old, made in New York City.

Nice stuff Tom!

I remember those flexible point adjustment tools for the Chevy V8's, and the screw holder for point installation, and the shock holder.

I've got some old unusual tools too, handed down from my Dad & my Uncle, such as the special tool used for installing points in a 235 cu. in. Chevy stovebolt 6.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Nice stuff Tom!

I remember those flexible point adjustment tools for the Chevy V8's, and the screw holder for point installation, and the shock holder.

I've got some old unusual tools too, handed down from my Dad & my Uncle, such as the special tool used for installing points in a 235 cu. in. Chevy stovebolt 6.

I still have all that stuff too. Lots easier to set points for a 30 degree "dwell" with the flex shaft tool rather than an "Allen" wrench. I've seen so many fools drop screws into the distributor body because they didn't have a "screw starter" or magnetic pickup tool that I found it comical when someone was cussing because of it. Small "Channel Lock" pliers are just a good as sliced bread for the small stuff.

I always found a torch a much handier tool for removing old shocks rather than any tool made for the job but I still have the tool......

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I still have all that stuff too. Lots easier to set points for a 30 degree "dwell" with the flex shaft tool rather than an "Allen" wrench. I've seen so many fools drop screws into the distributor body because they didn't have a "screw starter" or magnetic pickup tool that I found it comical when someone was cussing because of it. Small "Channel Lock" pliers are just a good as sliced bread for the small stuff.

I always found a torch a much handier tool for removing old shocks rather than any tool made for the job but I still have the tool......

Rob

I still got my "dwell meter" and points tool bought from Western Auto a long time ago in a galaxy far far away,,,randy

Ya got ta have a Ballpeen hammer or you'll never get tha job done. A must have for all shadetree mechanics. LOL

I'm in tha same boat with those tools I don't use any longer. I have a red case with SUN brand inductive timing light, dwell meter, tach for 4, 6, & 8 cylinder engines and compression gauge with hose that screws into the sparkplug hole and starter switch to bump the starter over quickly. These tools have not seen daylight since the late 1980's. Tom I also have the points screwdriver with magnet, that was sure a lifesaver or shall I say a screwsaver. Funny, I don't get as angry with myself anymore. And I also find it funny.....but I never did get angry enough to throw something,cause I thought everything I owned was too costly to replace the first time around not less mess it up the second time. LOL

mike

I still got my "dwell meter" and points tool bought from Western Auto a long time ago in a galaxy far far away,,,randy

I still have all of mine as well, timing light,point setting/installing tools, looked through some of my tools this weekend, i still have a set of tools for removing manual window crank handles from GM vehicles! and a "pickle fork" for ball joints! i still have a corded electric drill made/sold by W.T.GRANT inc. (an eastcoast dept.store) that went out of business at least 40 years ago! still works great! sad thing is, most people (with the exception of us graybeards on here) even know what points, vacuum advance timing, etc.are all about?.........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I still have all of mine as well, timing light,point setting/installing tools, looked through some of my tools this weekend, i still have a set of tools for removing manual window crank handles from GM vehicles! and a "pickle fork" for ball joints! i still have a corded electric drill made/sold by W.T.GRANT inc. (an eastcoast dept.store) that went out of business at least 40 years ago! still works great! sad thing is, most people (with the exception of us graybeards on here) even know what points, vacuum advance timing, etc.are all about?.........Mark

heh heh,,,yeah,,I hear ya Mark. I think solid state ignition and fuel injection were 2 of the greatest things ever stolen from the captured alien mother ship! I was bout fed up with carbs and points anyway. randy

heh heh,,,yeah,,I hear ya Mark. I think solid state ignition and fuel injection were 2 of the greatest things ever stolen from the captured alien mother ship! I was bout fed up with carbs and points anyway. randy

YEP,i agree ya'makes 2 of us! i still have the 1970 chevy pickup i had in high school,changed it over to electronic ignition, still have the carb. though i dont't really mind "tinkering" with that! not a whole lot of people left that can take a carb. apart put it back together without some "left over" pieces! LMAO....Mark

YEP,i agree ya'makes 2 of us! i still have the 1970 chevy pickup i had in high school,changed it over to electronic ignition, still have the carb. though i dont't really mind "tinkering" with that! not a whole lot of people left that can take a carb. apart put it back together without some "left over" pieces! LMAO....Mark

heh heh,,I like the tinkering part, but I remember those days when it wasnt tinkering, I was just in a frantic hurry to get the damn thing to crank! Those might have been the good old days, but i wouldnt wanna repeat em,,LOL,,,randy

heh heh,,I like the tinkering part, but I remember those days when it wasnt tinkering, I was just in a frantic hurry to get the damn thing to crank! Those might have been the good old days, but i wouldnt wanna repeat em,,LOL,,,randy

Yea Randy, i'm remembering working with my dad on his cars and trucks. He saw me not being in a hurry and would tell me i'd never make it on a production line. I'd say to him but i'm not on a production line. He always was in a hurry to get it done. I guess he was afraid he'd miss something on TV like Mission Impossible or Hawaii Five 0.

I'm to the point in life if it gets done then thats ok. If it don't, then their will be another day.

mike

Yup, i don't miss the days "if the truck don't run i don't eat"....don't miss that at all! sometimes the good old days ain't all their cracked up to be!.....Mark

Ya got ta have a Ballpeen hammer or you'll never get tha job done. A must have for all shadetree mechanics. LOL

I'm in tha same boat with those tools I don't use any longer. I have a red case with SUN brand inductive timing light, dwell meter, tach for 4, 6, & 8 cylinder engines and compression gauge with hose that screws into the sparkplug hole and starter switch to bump the starter over quickly. These tools have not seen daylight since the late 1980's. Tom I also have the points screwdriver with magnet, that was sure a lifesaver or shall I say a screwsaver. Funny, I don't get as angry with myself anymore. And I also find it funny.....but I never did get angry enough to throw something,cause I thought everything I owned was too costly to replace the first time around not less mess it up the second time. LOL

mike

"a bfh and a long handle punch"...and you can fix anything.

I had Super Sun tachs in my cars and mud bogger.

Still got my dwell meter and timing light too, they're in the bottom part of my tool box, which is still in Appomattox in my father in law's shed.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.