Not Gonna Buy Any More Oil For A While...

Was getting ready to change the oil this weekend and was price shopping the 5-gallon buckets of Rotella. TSC had 'em cheapest at $54.99, so I ended up back there to buy 3 buckets...2 for the oil change and one more to add as the truck uses it.

Anyway, I'm complaining to the manager about how danged expensive this oil is getting, but that you just can't beat Rotella for "availability"...can buy the stuff danged near anywhere.

He mentioned the store brand..."Travelers"...nearly identical packaging to the Rotella, and according to the manager, came from the same distributor and had nearly identical specs. The 5 gallon buckets were only $49.99, so it'd save me $15 overall...but would it be worth it?

Stood there contemplating the decision for a while...it says it meets the Mack specs...so I decided to give it a try. He only had 1 bucket in the front, so he went to the back to grab some more for me. Turns out, though, that they had a few of the "old" label buckets on clearance and wondered if I wanted them. I asked what the price was and nearly fell over when he showed me his little hand-held price scanner. $9.99 per 5 gallon bucket! He said he had 22 of 'em, and I figured since I WAS going to spend $165 on 3 buckets of Rotella, that would pay for at least 16 of these clearance buckets....and for $80 more, I could just buy 'em all. 110 gallons of oil for $220.

Unfortunately, one of the buckets was 30W instead of 15W40, so I only ended up buying 21 buckets. Sure makes changing my oil a heck of a lot cheaper...$20 in oil instead of $110.

Not every day that I luck into a deal that good...definitely made my day. :banana:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Sumbitch! I'm gonna have to get over to TSC today.

Tell you what though, Sapp's here has a service center that'll change oil, grease and top off all other vital fluids/gear boxes for $169...can't beat that with a stick really.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

trucks is fer haulin' stuff...good thing I put them helper springs on the lil' beater truck :blink:

l_c7fa1a8dc3304042b72aa109eb5493c3.jpg

5 gallons diesel fuel

105 gallons of oil

10 gallons of antifreeze

10 gallons of water

8 frozen pizzas

4 gallons of ice cream

6 gallons of lemonade

2 gallons of milk

easily more than 1/2 ton of stuff in the back of that little Ford Ranger, and it wasn't even showing it :thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

• 6 months later...

It's been six months. Any issues with the Travelers oil? I'm curious because I've been tempted to try it myself.

It uses a little oil...no more noticeably than it did running Rotella, Delvac, or Bulldog oil though.

...but at the $0.50/quart that I paid for this oil, it don't hurt near as bad to have to add oil between oil drains. :thumb:

I've never had oil samples run to be able to give any more of a comparison than that, though. I change the oil somewhere between 20K & 30K depending upon weather....if weather sucks, it'll get stretched longer because I'd rather not be outside wrenching on it when it's 35 degrees and pouring rain. :blink: ...but if the weather is nice, it'll get changed a little earlier just because with my luck if I stretched it out, I'd HAVE to be outside in the rain on a 35 degree day. :pat:

• 3 weeks later...

It uses a little oil...no more noticeably than it did running Rotella, Delvac, or Bulldog oil though.

...but at the $0.50/quart that I paid for this oil, it don't hurt near as bad to have to add oil between oil drains. :thumb:

I've never had oil samples run to be able to give any more of a comparison than that, though. I change the oil somewhere between 20K & 30K depending upon weather....if weather sucks, it'll get stretched longer because I'd rather not be outside wrenching on it when it's 35 degrees and pouring rain. :blink: ...but if the weather is nice, it'll get changed a little earlier just because with my luck if I stretched it out, I'd HAVE to be outside in the rain on a 35 degree day. :pat:

If we only knew who made some of these no name brands we could be saving money.Like the Wal Mart diesel oil.You know Wal Mart does not make their own oil.

If we only knew who made some of these no name brands we could be saving money.Like the Wal Mart diesel oil.You know Wal Mart does not make their own oil.

Prolly made in China like everything else they have. Have to check lead content BEFORE oil sample

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian