Looking To Buy First Truck

Hello, I am looking to purchas a 72 or 73 R model with a five speed transmission, day cab, tandem rears. My father drove one hauling steel out of Pittsburgh. I have driven several large non-cdl trucks and large trucks on my families' farms. I have expreience hauling a 36 foot goosneck RV over most of this country. I would like to purchase a truck as a hobby.

The big question I had is how you register this size truck and is it necessary to have a CDL license if you are using the truck for private use. I know that there are large RVs/buses that do not require a CDL and I wanted to know if this was true for this class of truck.

I am just starting with this and any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

For truck shows and such, you might try a historical or antique plate.

"Not For Hire" and "Privite Carrage" or even "Recreational Vehicle" lettering on truck might be the thing.

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

My kw is registerd as a collector vehicle, as far as i know you dont need a CDL for what i use it for (no one knows about scales though), Not using it for commercial purposes or to carry a load, the way i have it set up is it is not possible to tow or haul anything (no trailer air or electrical and a none working fifth wheel with missing parts with a air slider that is not hooked up and held on with 4 bolts) but looks like it can unless you look at it. Those Class A Diesel 45' RV's on truck chassis (or a class 8 highway tractor any year make and model hooked to a travel trailer) have air brakes and you dont need anything special to drive one sence it is a RV :wacko: . Check your states requierments and ask around is the best.

It's worth the time to just get the CDL and not worry about it. You might want to research and find out if our father drove a 72 or a 73. There's a big difference. That was when Mack extended the cab and changed the dash from hard green to tan vinyl.

Thanks so much for the info. I did not know about the difference between a 72 or 73. I am just starting research for this. I appreciate any feed back.

I live in Ohio and I know that you do not need a CDL if it has air brakes so long as GVW is less than 260001 pounds.

Does anyone know if it is possible to register a truck as 26000 pounds even if it is listed to have a higher gvw? I used to live in PA and I would register my F350 as less than it's listed GVW so that the registration was cheaper. I did not know if it was possible to do this with a big truck or not.

Thanks again for any help. Sometimes it is difficult to enter into a new hobby because everyone who can help you looks down on you for not knowing much. Thanks!!

Edited by pnccassell

Thanks so much for the info. I did not know about the difference between a 72 or 73. I am just starting research for this. I appreciate any feed back.

I live in Ohio and I know that you do not need a CDL if it has air brakes so long as GVW is less than 260001 pounds.

Does anyone know if it is possible to register a truck as 26000 pounds even if it is listed to have a higher gvw? I used to live in PA and I would register my F350 as less than it's listed GVW so that the registration was cheaper. I did not know if it was possible to do this with a big truck or not.

Thanks again for any help. Sometimes it is difficult to enter into a new hobby because everyone who can help you looks down on you for not knowing much. Thanks!!

Although I could be incorrect, I believe the dot law concerning air brakes is federal.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks for all the info. I will see how helpful the good people at the Ohio DOT will be answering questions.

As far as the truck goes, what I specifically was looking at is a 1972 R model Class 7 with tandem rear-end, fifth wheel, maxidyne engine, spring rear suspension, 5-speed transmission. Any advice regarding what to look for or what not to look for?

Thanks for all the info. I will see how helpful the good people at the Ohio DOT will be answering questions.

As far as the truck goes, what I specifically was looking at is a 1972 R model Class 7 with tandem rear-end, fifth wheel, maxidyne engine, spring rear suspension, 5-speed transmission. Any advice regarding what to look for or what not to look for?

Take a digital camera with you and take several detailed photos. You will receive ample opinions and references.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Although I could be incorrect, I believe the dot law concerning air brakes is federal.

Rob

YES,,,the air brake law is federal and nationwide, theres even a separate test when you take your CDL test, its a good idea to get CDL anyway,,lots of things in test booklet that are good to know and will come in handy,,,well thats my 2 cents anyways,,,randy