How Did Anyone Truck Before Duct Tape?

RowdyRebel

Today, I got to add the fuel return line to the growing list of parts & pieces I've fixed w/ duct tape... :pat:

Today, I patched a hole in one of my tarps with duct tape-Gorilla Tape actually, made by the Gorilla Glue people. Expensive, but seemed to work great. I only use the gorilla tape for special occasions-use the cheaper plain old gray duct tape for normal everyday duct tape applications.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Today, I patched a hole in one of my tarps with duct tape-Gorilla Tape actually, made by the Gorilla Glue people. Expensive, but seemed to work great. I only use the gorilla tape for special occasions-use the cheaper plain old gray duct tape for normal everyday duct tape applications.

I used "Gorilla" tape many times in the shop for grinding shields, cut lines, and weather tight integrity with visqueen plastic to seal cars up outside, etc.... Much better than the normal duct tape and retains it's grip through hot/cold cycles. Most times you have to use solvent to remove adhesive residue, but nothing really gets though it.

Although I don't believe I would use the product to band aid something that was my livelihood, it has it's uses.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Today, I got to add the fuel return line to the growing list of parts & pieces I've fixed w/ duct tape... :pat:

Redneck engineering at iys finest :clap:

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I've had pretty good luck with this stuff:

http://www.duckbrand.com/Products/duck-tape/standard-duck-tapes/industrial-grade-duck-tape.aspx

Excellent adhesive qualities...and half the price of the gorilla tape. :thumb:

I prolly have 3 rolls of the stuff in my truck at all times :lol:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

...product hoses...air lines...radiator hoses...fuel return lines...

...is there anything this stuff CAN'T fix? :lol:

Do you band-aid and replace part later or fix it fix it with the tape?

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Do you band-aid and replace part later or fix it fix it with the tape?

Depends. When I was on tanks, I'd run for weeks with duct tape repairs to product hoses. The air line patch was on there for a day...gave me time to get by the store to buy the "proper" coupler to make a DOT-legal repair without losing any loads. Could have left it, but if the DOT saw it, they would've been that much closer to meeting that month's quota. The radiator hose was on a company truck...the shop wasn't answering the phone and he just needed to go 15 or 20 miles to get there. When the shop saw it, they told him it was the best patch job they had ever seen...prolly could have run with it for a while, but they put a new hose on there anyway. The fuel return line repair got me home. I've got the new line to put on there, just didn't feel like doing any MORE work on my truck in the Mack dealer's parking lot this week :pat:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

...just didn't feel like doing any MORE work on my truck in the Mack dealer's parking lot this week :pat:

They love that almost as much as giving out free advice.

I used "Gorilla" tape many times in the shop for grinding shields, cut lines, and weather tight integrity with visqueen plastic to seal cars up outside, etc.... Much better than the normal duct tape and retains it's grip through hot/cold cycles. Most times you have to use solvent to remove adhesive residue, but nothing really gets though it.

Although I don't believe I would use the product to band aid something that was my livelihood, it has it's uses.

Rob

I just had to tarp some kind of radar equipment going to some airport somewhere in central Illinois so it didn't matter if it got wet.

I'm kinda just testing the gorilla tape. I used to use my "Clifford the Big Red Dog" bandaids on my tarps but they're expensive too and they blow off pretty quick.

They love that almost as much as giving out free advice.

Actually, they don't mind....I had a u-joint that was starting to make noise and needed replacement. They couldn't get me in to do it for me, so I swapped it right there in their lot. Only lost 1 load...so I guess I didn't do TOO bad :thumb:

My coveralls paid for themselves...kept my clothes clean & grease free. :banana:

...but I know what you mean...the Mack dealer up in Evansville didn't want to get me in (this was the first summer I had the truck) when the axle hub seal was leaking...some of the nuts were stripped on the studs. They wanted me to leave the truck with them overnight...as though I had a way to get home or wanted to buy a motel or something. When I told 'em "well, if you've got the parts, I can do the work myself in your lot" suddenly they could get me in. :rolleyes:

I just had to tarp some kind of radar equipment going to some airport somewhere in central Illinois so it didn't matter if it got wet.

I'm kinda just testing the gorilla tape. I used to use my "Clifford the Big Red Dog" bandaids on my tarps but they're expensive too and they blow off pretty quick.

Yup, I received the radar equipment and it was wet. I'm glad you didn't have the Clifford band aids on the tarps because around back there was a couple pallets of freshly painted fire hydrants and they did not need pissed on.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Actually, they don't mind....I had a u-joint that was starting to make noise and needed replacement. They couldn't get me in to do it for me, so I swapped it right there in their lot. Only lost 1 load...so I guess I didn't do TOO bad :thumb:

My coveralls paid for themselves...kept my clothes clean & grease free. :banana:

...but I know what you mean...the Mack dealer up in Evansville didn't want to get me in (this was the first summer I had the truck) when the axle hub seal was leaking...some of the nuts were stripped on the studs. They wanted me to leave the truck with them overnight...as though I had a way to get home or wanted to buy a motel or something. When I told 'em "well, if you've got the parts, I can do the work myself in your lot" suddenly they could get me in. :rolleyes:

Yeah, they're all pretty much the same. Salesmen and bigshots from Truck Enterprises in Roanoke (Kenworth dealer) would come to Appomattox and do everything but kiss H.H.'s ass (maybe they did that too,I don't know) to try to sell trucks but if you ever had to take it back for anything they didn't have time to fool with you. That's exactly why I told him i'd rather drive an IH,and I got one too-just because the shop foreman and service manager at Truck Enterprises were so hateful.

Virginia Truck Center in Roanoke, the Mack and Freightliner dealer, on the other hand were always very nice and so are the folks at Truck Enterprises in Lynchburg.

Just avoid Freightliner altogether. Freightliners are junk! Why would anyone want a piece of shi* like a Freightliner?!

Bout time you talked down on Freightliner on a Mack message board.

Bout time you talked down on Freightliner on a Mack message board.

That's what I thought he'd posted. Working at the current employer has apparently changed his attitude towards reality, and for the better.

Rob

LOL,,Rowdy,,,I was loading killer B up for her 200 mile round trip and thats the first thing that went under the seat, wont go anywhere without duct tape, my son was in military and he said they called it "100 mile per hour tape", he said he bet he went through 5 cases of it in Iraq. Hell, I sleep with a roll of it under my pillow,,Randy

• 3 weeks later...

Actually those FLD's are great trucks! Don't knock down the FLD! The other new Freightliner models you can knock down all you want. I'm passionate about the FLD!

WELL look who showed up from somewhere. How ya been LL? Hows the new job?

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Actually those FLD's are junk! Do knock down the FLD! The other new Freightliner models you can knock down all you want. I want to make passionate love with the FLD!

What...? Whoa...

What...? Whoa...

Man, sure are some sick, twisted, dimented, hallucenagenic, and obscure individuals on here. Don't know how I'll cope now that I've been recommended for sainthood. And I ain't even catholic.

Rob

Man, sure are some sick, twisted, dimented, hallucenagenic, and obscure individuals on here. Don't know how I'll cope now that I've been recommended for sainthood. And I ain't even catholic.

Rob

I'm scarefraid I'd spontaneously combust if I got anywhere near a church...

• 1 month later...

Love my mack pack,but my first truck was 1995 Freightliner Classic. Drove it for 10 years. Never had any major problems with it, but I do know why they call em FreightShakers. Duct tape goes on long way on things that rattle till you get time to fix properly. A full roll of Duct tape sitting in floorboard makes a good coffee cup holder in a FL cause if you use the one mounted on dash, you'll get coffee all over everything.

MackAttack3