Need Help With Value Of 1988 Superliner

Greetings,

I am a part-time trucker, owner-operator, who has fallen in love w/ a 1988 Superliner. I am currently operating a 1979 K100C KW COE, that I am modifying and restoring. I need some help with a reasonable sales price for this Superliner, and was given this website as a good place to pose this question. Let me tell you about the truck...

88 Superliner... 679000 original miles. 350hp 4 valve, series 3 girdle upgrade. overhauled 25000 miles ago w/ paperwork. New turbo, injectors, radiator. Pump turned up 15%.

Eaton RTO14613 transmission from factory. Rebuilt. Less than 50000 miles.

Mack rears at 3.70, Neway air suspension.

36 Ablebody sleeper, heat, AC, charcoal grey interior, immaculate, cutout for single stack.

New Bostrom midback seat, proper matching material, Bulldog inlayed in seat, airride. Passenger seat is rigid mounted w/ proper material.

Interior carpet is in excellent shape, clean, no burns or rips. Headliner excellent. Dash excellent. Sleeper boot is new. All door seals are new. Hood seal is new. Air ride cab.

Imron 2000 paint, excellent condition. Hood excellent and undamaged. Chrome front bumper, excellent and factory correct.

Two new fuel tanks, four new batteries, two new airtanks, stainless.

Frame mounted side box in need of serious buffing.

Six aluminum wheels, also in need of buffing, four steel wheels. TIRES ARE VIRGIN DUNLOPS @ 30% or less.

Mack stainless quarter fenders, w/ emblem inlayed.

New heated mirrors w/ Bulldog emblems.

Single 4 inch stack, chrome is fair.

Double frame, shortened 30 inches, wheelbase is about 230. All bolt holes exist to stretch frame back out, owner will provide original driveshaft and crossmember w/ sale.

AC blows cold. New fan clutch.

New RF spindle. New kingpins. New brakes and drums on all axles. New maxi chambers. New airlines. Excellent tire wear... no odd patterns.

Truck has been in same family for 20 years. Was garaged and undriven for 12 of those years, and is very much loved by its current owners.

They have all original paperwork, and documents to support all work completed.

They are asking 22500. I am being told this is a $15000 truck... I feel comfortable at $18000... I need your thoughts and opinions.

Edited by bell206b3

To suit me... The Superliner will have to be returned to its original wheelbase, which I am capable of doing. It also needs dual exhaust, which will necessitate changing the bunk. I did see the 60" that was on ebay. I also called Double Eagle today, but I think that is going to be out of my price range, unless I sell the cabover, which I don't want to do.

I also don't like the steering wheel, and I want a Texas front bumper w/ rolled ends... about 20".

I would like 6 inch stacks... unknown if I would be installing mufflers, but I probably would.

I am interested in any and all comments. I am particularly interested in performance work to the engine. I don't need it to breath fire, but I would like it to blow some black smoke, and have the ability to pull hard when I want to.

This truck would have a loving home here with me, and I have the wifes blessing... I just need to know what is a fair price.

i love that superliner

i would pour gas on the kw and set fire to it if thats what i had to do to get the mack.

trucks like that don't come along every day. it's worth what ever someone will pay.

$22,000 is what 2004 are bringing. if this and a 2004 were setting side by side i would take this one in a second.

just my opinion......................

I agree with the others. We have an 88 Superliner, and we passed the $22,500 mark a long time ago. I don't think some people that have RW's realize what they have. I've been a Mack salesman for better than 15 years, and there is NO comparison. Don't pass up on that truck. And, oh yes, the 350 can be "tweaked" and get out there and run with the best.

Dave

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

You couldn't get one back into that kind of shape for $22,500. I understand your apprehension with the price, but a Superliner in that kind of shape with those options will easily go for $22,500 before long. You might get them to wiggle down to $21,000 or negotiate a set of drives into the price, but I think you'd do well to get either. If the motor has good paperwork, the price is not likely to waver much for the rest of the truck in that kind of condition.

The previous owner has ALL the paperwork, and I mean all... heck he even has the original wiring diagram, from MACK, laminated.

I am definitely a custom / unique truck junky... I have to have what others don't, and this seems to fit the bill. I love the old A model KWs too, but they demand a premium that a part-time guy like me can't afford.

Can you folks venture an opinion on fuel mileage if driven responsibly? I am getting 5.8mpg w/ my COE if I stay at 62mph. We haul dry van trailers. I idle as little as possible.

I'm also interested in your opinions on engine longevity... can I expect 500K or more out of this rebuild, even with performance enhancing mods?

I am a little concerned about the engine being only 12L (732 cu in.) - especially in comparison to my 855cu in Cummins, or the CAT3406, and I am very interested in opinions in this realm as well.

My friend who has an excavating business swears by Mack, and says this 350hp will absolutely outrun my "fueled" 855Cummins. He is also telling me that Mack rates their horsepower at the rear wheel, not the flywheel. Is this accurate as well?

Any reference materials / websites / books that would be beneficial please point me in that direction.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

TOM

Edited by bell206b3

This Superliner is a really nice truck. I looked at it a couple of years ago but just didn't think it was worth the asking price at the time. From what I remember the rear bunk skin had been worked on. It was a really nice truck and the owner is a really nice and seemingly honest guy. Like I said, at the time I couldn't put that much out for that truck. Since then, Superliners have been increasing in value due to them becoming more popular. Just a few weeks ago a very nice V-8 daycab with blow-by sold at auction for $26500.00, $1500.00 more than the truck was advertised for in the months prior to the auction. I heard of another V-8 tri-axle daycab that sold for around $20,000.00. It was supposed to be a nice truck, each out of my price range but each V-8 trucks. The Superliner has been increasing in value, because us Superliner fans have been starting to buy them up.

The result, if you like it enough and have the money, buy it.

I'd like to see that truck in a collectors hands.

Hope to see it at the ATCA National Meet in Macungie. Doug

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

I would love to know the date for the Macungie show...

I don't know if I qualify as a collector... that depends on your definition. I am an operator for sure... and I love trucks... thats for sure... I can guarantee this... If I buy the truck, it will be worked and loved... take a look at my COE, that's how it looks everytime it hits the road. 38000 miles last year, and I'm on course to do more than that this year. I do ALL the maintenance on it, including swapping the trans, and working on the rears.

As for the Mack... I love it, but I need the bigger bunk. I am partial to the look of dual exhaust, the original longer wheelbase, and nice a stainless flap arrangement with lights, of course I would like the big chrome bumper, w/ some lights hanging out on the ends only. The big shield has to go too. I would fix up the dash, of course keeping it original, just straightening everything up, and would replace the worn toggles w/ some quality ones. The non-functioning trans temp gauge must be fixed as well. The steering wheel needs to be changed to suit me, I would prefer the old-school ivory one like in my COE, but would consider something custom if it fit the theme overall.

If you folks believe that modifying this truck will detract from the value, I'd like to know that as well. I know when we see A models or Pete 359s "butchered" it is almost a sin... If that is the overall feeling from the Mack crowd as well, then I would definitely like to know.... I am attracted to this truck's uniqueness... and to the fact it is rare... and to the legendary MACK name and reputation.

My intention, 100%, is to build it to my liking, polish the dickens out of it, then work the Dawg to pay for itself and provide some extra money for my family.

You won't hurt my feelings, I'm new to Mack, and new here... fire away.

Edited by bell206b3

And I would stripe it... probably charcoal grey w/ black highlights... painted of course... no vinyl.

And I actually prefer the round headlight appearance... But that would necessitate changing the horns.

Around and around I go... makes me wonder why I buy trucks then spend thousands of dollars changing them into something else.

That's exactly what I did w/ the COE, and I'm still not satisfied w/ that.

As a rule, the more you personalize something the more you hurt the value. Your KW seems to be very tastefully done, but if you do things with re-sale in mind, the closer you stay to OEM, the better resale you will have.

I see trucks out there that are highly customized, and the workmanship is outstanding, but the owners almost always take a big hit when they sell.

It's OK to customize & personalize, but then just remember, it's your truck.

As far as the reliability and life expectancy of the 350, it's all about good maintenance and good driver habits.

Ther's a time to get in it, and a time to back out of it.

I wouldn't expect the fuel economy to be much different than you're getting now.

Greetings,

I am a part-time trucker, owner-operator, who has fallen in love w/ a 1988 Superliner. I am currently operating a 1979 K100C KW COE, that I am modifying and restoring. I need some help with a reasonable sales price for this Superliner, and was given this website as a good place to pose this question. Let me tell you about the truck...

88 Superliner... 679000 original miles. 350hp 4 valve, series 3 girdle upgrade. overhauled 25000 miles ago w/ paperwork. New turbo, injectors, radiator. Pump turned up 15%.

Eaton RTO14613 transmission from factory. Rebuilt. Less than 50000 miles.

Mack rears at 3.70, Neway air suspension.

36 Ablebody sleeper, heat, AC, charcoal grey interior, immaculate, cutout for single stack.

New Bostrom midback seat, proper matching material, Bulldog inlayed in seat, airride. Passenger seat is rigid mounted w/ proper material.

Interior carpet is in excellent shape, clean, no burns or rips. Headliner excellent. Dash excellent. Sleeper boot is new. All door seals are new. Hood seal is new. Air ride cab.

Imron 2000 paint, excellent condition. Hood excellent and undamaged. Chrome front bumper, excellent and factory correct.

Two new fuel tanks, four new batteries, two new airtanks, stainless.

Frame mounted side box in need of serious buffing.

Six aluminum wheels, also in need of buffing, four steel wheels. TIRES ARE VIRGIN DUNLOPS @ 30% or less.

Mack stainless quarter fenders, w/ emblem inlayed.

New heated mirrors w/ Bulldog emblems.

Single 4 inch stack, chrome is fair.

Double frame, shortened 30 inches, wheelbase is about 230. All bolt holes exist to stretch frame back out, owner will provide original driveshaft and crossmember w/ sale.

AC blows cold. New fan clutch.

New RF spindle. New kingpins. New brakes and drums on all axles. New maxi chambers. New airlines. Excellent tire wear... no odd patterns.

Truck has been in same family for 20 years. Was garaged and undriven for 12 of those years, and is very much loved by its current owners.

They have all original paperwork, and documents to support all work completed.

They are asking 22500. I am being told this is a $15000 truck... I feel comfortable at $18000... I need your thoughts and opinions.

In my opinion, this superliner is well worth 15-$20k,it surely could not be duplicated for that price,and a truck in this kind of shape is an excellent candidate for restoration or to work. I have had good experiences with the mack 350, think its a damn good engine,have owned 2 so far with very few problems if any,my 1988 MH that i sold over 12 years ago is still running everyday with 1.4 million miles and has only ever had the head off once.Personally, agree with some of the other opinions posted,as i would just freshen things up a bit,but leave it pretty much as-is, of course you must remeber its YOUR truck,and should do as you please should you go ahead and buy it,if not as was already stated you will have no problem finding a buyer on here!....mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I drove it and weighed it today. It weighs 17240lbs w/ two half tanks of fuel and no gear in the sideboxes. That is very reasonable and on par w/ my COE. It has a slight bucking going down the road (ride wise) -- The engine runs and sounds great, and the cab is very tight and quiet. The exhaust is super quiet.

I took note that there are no cupholders :-( --- and that the pyrometer is hard to see in its current location.

The transmission shifts fine w/ no odd noises, and overall I was pretty impressed. It is, however, to small inside w/o a bigger sleeper.

Let me spend some time thinking about what I am going to do, and if I decide against I will post up the number.

TOM

Regarding the truck show at Macungie, it is always the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of Father's day, which would be the 18th, 19th & 20th this year.

Another nice show is the "All Mack" show held at Gerhart Machinery in Lititz, Pa. It is always the first Saturday in October.

Both of these shows just get bigger & better every year.

To suit me... The Superliner will have to be returned to its original wheelbase, which I am capable of doing. It also needs dual exhaust, which will necessitate changing the bunk. I did see the 60" that was on ebay. I also called Double Eagle today, but I think that is going to be out of my price range, unless I sell the cabover, which I don't want to do.

I also don't like the steering wheel, and I want a Texas front bumper w/ rolled ends... about 20".

I would like 6 inch stacks... unknown if I would be installing mufflers, but I probably would.

I am interested in any and all comments. I am particularly interested in performance work to the engine. I don't need it to breath fire, but I would like it to blow some black smoke, and have the ability to pull hard when I want to.

This truck would have a loving home here with me, and I have the wifes blessing... I just need to know what is a fair price.

IF YOU HAVE YOUR WIFE'S BLESSING THAN GO FOR IT, THEY HAVE 99%OF THE SAY. VERY NICE LOOKING TRUCK ,KINDA WHAT I HAVE ON MY CHRISTMAS WISH LETTER TO ST. NICK, MAYBE HE SENT THE TRUCK TO YOU INSTEAD. GREEN GIANT2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

The previous owner has ALL the paperwork, and I mean all... heck he even has the original wiring diagram, from MACK, laminated.

I am definitely a custom / unique truck junky... I have to have what others don't, and this seems to fit the bill. I love the old A model KWs too, but they demand a premium that a part-time guy like me can't afford.

Can you folks venture an opinion on fuel mileage if driven responsibly? I am getting 5.8mpg w/ my COE if I stay at 62mph. We haul dry van trailers. I idle as little as possible.

I'm also interested in your opinions on engine longevity... can I expect 500K or more out of this rebuild, even with performance enhancing mods?

I am a little concerned about the engine being only 12L (732 cu in.) - especially in comparison to my 855cu in Cummins, or the CAT3406, and I am very interested in opinions in this realm as well.

My friend who has an excavating business swears by Mack, and says this 350hp will absolutely outrun my "fueled" 855Cummins. He is also telling me that Mack rates their horsepower at the rear wheel, not the flywheel. Is this accurate as well?

Any reference materials / websites / books that would be beneficial please point me in that direction.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

TOM

Just keep in mind you are trying to compare a big block with a small block engine,,Cubic inches

will win in the long run,,, Especially if you crank fuel to the 350 Mack to run or out run the 400+ cummins or Cat.

Old Mack wise tail

You have 350 hp at the flywheel with your short wheelbase you can expect 280 something to the ground and little less as your wheelbase lengthens.

The truck looks like it comes from a good home and going to a good home.

Said this before; the Superliner will forever hold its value,,,,If you care for it,, In 20 year from now that RW will sell for $20,000 if not more,,,,, Its Macks trophy truck for 16 years

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

I really appreciate all the comments.

There are things I like about both trucks.

I am getting tons of messages on LargeCarMag as well. Of course many of them are partial to the A model.

I'm going to go drive one of them this week too.

Then I'm bobtailing the cabover to Connecticut to pick up a trailer (with a steam boiler in it) that I dropped off up there in October... aaaahhhhhhh

Edited by bell206b3

Tom,I think your K100 K/W is a great looking truck!! But I'm a sucker for C/O's esp day cab's. Now just my opinion the Mack motor E6 EM6 E7 EM7 732 cu. in. (power to weight)horse power & torque is the best diesel ever made. Even the older 673 & 673-P motors ran better then the HR 195 & NH 220 Cummins all non turbos of yesteryear. Even today's 12 liter Cat motors around the same cubes don't run like the Mack engines. Now your friend who said his 350 Mack with a little tweaking will out run your 855 cu. in. Cummins YA OK BUT if you start tweakin your PT pump on your Cummins your friend's gona lose! Just like the guy who posted before me said 723 VS 855 ? But again just my opinion the 350 Mack motor in the Superliner maybe with a little tweak will run just fine they just do!! BULLHUSK