Need Help With Value Of 1988 Superliner

Is this what you're talking about? This "LT" is built on a Western Star chassis, the sleeper was hand-built by Denver Truck Painting.

WOW VERY NICE.

GG2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

personally i think the poster has no idea what he wants either, go and by a peterbilt . if you cant tell how much diffrence is bettween a r700 and a mk 2 superdog then mate i refer you back too what i allready stated go and buy a peterbilt, this is not a negative response , even in australia there is no resale in old kenworths like you have its a 15,000 dollar truck ,i personally like your ride, now on the other hand a superliner sells between 40-70,000 dollars there is a bicentenial for sale at the moment asking price half a million dollars (and no this is not a missprint),you keep refering to A model i assume you mean a w900 A KENWORTH ,all in all its up too you but you seem to have some weird ideas mate..........my two cents...spud

I have seen the posted blue Mack in person. It is immaculate...with that said...

I appreciate the posts... All in all, I think that keeping my cabover for now is most appropriate for me. I like the Superliner, because it is unique, but ultimately I would have to spend way too much money to make it what I want.

One of the biggest hangups for me on the whole deal was that I had not finished the restoration of my COE. For me, completing that, at some point is important.

Rob, you bring up some great points. I have worked two jobs the past two years while my wife was in nursing school. We had to take loans for it, but we know her new position is well worth the investment.

The kids have 529 plans, and I see the value, not only in their education, but also in graduating debt-free.

Again, many thanks, I will check with the owner to see if he minds if I post his contact information on this site.

Regards,

Tom

P.S. No Peterbilts for me :-) Everyone has one of them.

I had a thread going on another forum, where I spend most of my truck related internet time. I've been there for a while, and have more personal relationship w/ some folks over there... but you guys here welcomed me openly, and answered my questions, even if they did seem strange to you. And when I read my own postings... they did sound strange. It is clear to me that I really liked the Mack, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted. It could have been, but at an extreme expense, only to possibly still not be the truck I dream of... Also, on the other forum the thread was just as popular as here... as guys dimed in and out on the Mack, an A model, and my cabover. Many of them were onboard when I bought the KW and have watched her return from retirement as a farm truck, into a working member of the heavy duty truck society.

Someone here said... "it ought to be interesting to see this pan out... "

With that said... I'll copy and paste the final decision... Here it is...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

I wanted to thank all who have commented on this thread, and particularily those who sent me PMs or emails.

There was a poster who referred me to a post I had written a few weeks ago, about how much I loved my cabover. And for all she is, and for all she isn't... she's a good ole truck that has safely taken me 50,000 miles... so... after much thought...

I'm keeping the cabover. It is not done. I said I was going to finish it and I am. I also learned that writing about my health was theraputic for me... I am giving the possibility of cancer a firm "one finger salute..." I'm digging my heels in the ground and finishing MY FREAKIN TRUCK. I will deal with my health and their surgeries on my terms and timetable.

My upholstery man says he can fabricate some sort of arrangement w/ the passenger seat to take care of my "equipment requirements" after the surgery... And Chris (aka Wings2Wheels) says he has seen the same thing in some of the corporate aircraft he has flown.

So... I am going to tackle this one piece at a time, starting w/ sound deadening and carpet. Then I'm after the rattles in the dash and the substandard air conditioning.

I agree that the Mack is awesome, but the cabover is mine. And in 400 miles yesterday at least a half a dozen people said something about MY truck. I saw Mike Grubb in his blue Marmon. I see him everywhere. Actually seeing him helped me make my decision... That Marmon is his, unmistakeably... I have never met Mike, but I KNOW that is his truck. There is only one like it. There are many Superliners... there is only ONE cabover that looks like mine.

The other thing that made my mind up, was the surprising "intense fellowship" that my wife and I had Sunday night. She "firmly" made her point. It was a one-sided conversation. I can sum it up like this...

I said I was stretching my truck, and I will... this year. I said I was building a performance minded Big Cam... and I will... this year. She never was a big fan of the COE, but we have a rule from day 1... finish what you start, say what you mean, and do what you say.

As this progresses the pics will be here for you all to see... until then... picture this... The old b***h with a 240ish wheelbase, fully polished, and chained to the dyno at Antrim Diesel... cause she'll be there... this summer for sure.

Thank you to all... Tom

And so endth the chapter... thanks again, and as major changes occur to my beloved '79 Kenworth, I will post up a picture or two for you folks here as well.

• 1 year later...

Expressing unsolicited opinions only:

By reading the threads the starter has posted both here, and Large Car, he should probably move to another truck. Not meaning any negativity at all but this truck does not fit close enough to what he wants to end up without a cost prohibitive influx of funds to get it there. It is a very nice truck and probably worth the money for someone that plans to use it to make a living, but that kind of cost is not prudent for a part time operation and with, (as has been mentioned) upcoming education expenses for the kiddos. This is reality in pure form; "Family comes first and the toys wait". Robbing, or negating family expenses to fund personal wants and desires is really not the way to go. There is a very nice KW cabover restored and personalized as a "sunken investment" already in the collection that has been mentioned to rob parts from to get the new Superliner up to par; If one has to consider robbing Peter to pay Paul, nothing is gained. Unless the poster is an independently wealthy trucker, or likes to post searching for ideas to do nothing with, nothing should transpire, or any transaction take place.

For those that don't know what a "sunken investment" is: Simply stated it is the sum of monies invested into something that may, or may not pay dividends upon sale, or discharge of the investment. Automobiles, housing, and companies all have the possibility, and at times probability, of being losers.

I wouldn't take enjoyment seeing this truck back on the market in a couple of years with a new Double Eagle sleeper, extended wheelbase, and other possible personal touches offered at a significant loss to the owner due to being "upside down" in the value, but I do see this as a real possibility.

Be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Rob

Here you go guys. Just bringing it back to the front as I can't drop a link back to the post.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.